Sign in to follow this  
morten7741

Blurry textures P3D V3

Hello! I've got a pretty annoying problem in p3d v3.. With blurries it seems like im the only one who really has this kind of problems with them. Here is a picture with everything maxed out in p3d: https://gyazo.com/ebdc688e216fd626232f607b06d96a2f it don't really make a difference in the distant blurries if I put all the settings to the right, but I just don't understand why this only happens to me. Yes I know that there is distant blurries in P3D, but I don't think there is on this level.

Thanks

PC Specs:

i5 6500 3.2 - 3.6 GHz

GTX 960 4GB OC

8gb 2133 MHz ram

Hope that pretty much describes it all.

btw I've think I've tried most of the tweaks out there and even tried Nvidia Inspector and reinstalled many times.

Thanks.

Morten

It may be something bottlenecking the read speed of your HDD.

Have you defragmented lately? Have you benchmarked the speed of your HDD to get an idea of how fast it is?

You need the correct affinity mask for that processor - I dont know what that is for yours only my 4790k - thats what worked for me - plenty of info on this in the forums

Rich Sennett

Hello again. @AviatorMoser I've not defragmented and don't know how fast my hdd is although I think it's 7200 rpm. And I've not benchmarked it,

@Richart Sennett do I need affinity mask for p3d? Thought I didn't need to do that in P3D oh well, I need to try that, thanks

And can someone say what program I should use to defrag? And how do I do it? I've heard of defragging, but never actually done it? And sadly affinity mask didn't work in p3d v3.1

There are hundreds of programs that allow one to defrag their HDD (never defrag an SSD) for a price.  PC Aviator claims to have a program that will speed up FSX after using its defragger.  Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't.  I tried it and saw no difference.  I have used various defrag programs and have seen little boosts in performance. Defragging use to be a big thing back in the olden days but now we have much faster HDD's and SSD's and more powerful computers.  It definitely will not get rid of blurry textures.  "The blurries" are caused by only one thing, high p3d.cfg and/or display driver settings.  I have personally found it difficult to completely rid P3D of the blurries, especially with photoscenery. 

I have done all kinds of adjustments with my P3D.cfg and it's difficult.  There are a lot of sliders.  Obviously you want to have the texture and mesh resolution sliders up high but the other sliders are not all that important.  The LOD_Radius is tough on systems as it increases the area of coverage.  Thus, P3D will try to render textures in a larger area and maybe they can and maybe they can't.  If you are worried about blurries, you would want to lower this slider. 

The Texture_Max_Load setting of 4096 is hard on many systems too.  If P3D has to render 4096 textures all of the time, you are putting a lot of pressure on your system to render those HD textures in real time.  I like the 2048 setting which is HD too.  Anything lower will look like the blurries and, well, blah.

I definitely would recommend staying away from tweaks like Affinity Mask and BufferPools.  For the most part they do not work and, if they do work, the results are minimal.  If one of these tweaks (or any tweak) resulted in getting rid of the blurries and better performance with P3D, the developers at LM would have included the tweaks as they want you to have the best experience possible with their product.  They are all totally aware of the tweaks and all tweaks that might make their product work better and those have been added and Affinity Mask and BufferPools didn't make the list.  It could be because the settings are not the same for every user and, if you used the same settings as John Doe who has a completely different system, then you are likely to see anomalies and crashes.  Not a very good experience.  LockHeed Martin did throw in many tweaks that were not in their predecessor, FSX.

If there are any tweaks within the FSX.cfg or your display driver that will eliminate the blurries for everyone, you will hear about it soon as it is one of the most annoying things in any flight simulator program and one of the most discussed topics in these forums. 

Best regards,

• Upvote 2

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Ok, the weird thing is though even though I still put the LOD radius right up in the p3d settings menu it still looks really blurry in the distance, and all my gpu drivers are up to date, so yeah.. But as I said earlier it just feels much worse in my sim, than in for example if you watch a Youtube video or see a picture in many of the Facebook groups with p3d v3.

but oh well. It just kind of eliminates the realism (ish) when such blurries is visible.

if you want to defrag use this >> https://www.disktrix.com/ this defrag application was developed by an fsx user i believe

whats different about this defrag is you can place all of p3d files in the high performance area of your hard drive  & the rest of your system files can be placed all together in the standard area.

Okay, im going to try that, thanks!

It looked like defragmenting with Smart Defrag, didn't really work. Didn't notice any diffrence sadly. Could it be because I have p3d installed in my D drive's root folder and not installed in the program files\ lockheed martin etc?

Ok, the weird thing is though even though I still put the LOD radius right up in the p3d settings menu it still looks really blurry in the distance, and all my gpu drivers are up to date, so yeah..

As I stated, in my post, placing the LOD_radius slider to the highest setting increases the radius around your aircraft and your simulator will have to render more textures faster.  The max sets your LOD_Radius at 6.5 which is a tweak in FSX as the highest in FSX is 4.5.  You should try 4.5 or 5.5. 

The picture you showed is fairly clear with all of your sliders set to the right.  I would have never thought you would have gotten something that clear with max settings.  But anything way in the distance is just not going to render very fast if at all.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10