Sign in to follow this  
rhumbaflappy

Dovetail Games Direction

When Aerosoft was planning on their own sim, they tried this approach, but guess what, they weren't able to find any engine out there that could match the capabilities of what the FSX/ESP engine was capable of. The only other engine proven in a global flightim was X-Planes, but that was proprietary to Austin. Outerra does look promising, but to date is unproven on a global scale.

My memory is that they shelved their own plans and threw themselves behind X-plane. It  was an exciting time, but unfortunately LR seems to have little interest in marketing, or doing just about anything beyond coasting along at its well known graceful and stately pace.

And many of the first offerings from 3rd parties were pretty noxious converted FSX shovelware, which was a shame and kind of started things off on a bad foot.

Almost all the really hard groundwork seems to be there in the sim itself, but............ eh.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Almost all the really hard groundwork seems to be there in the sim itself, but............ eh

Not really - !

the vectors shorelines showed in some of the images are not certainly the best on the market; lakes - rivers - etc etc will follow surely at same level of details.

No high res terrain mesh - very likely default will be based on 76 m srtm data or with a push asterdem and others in the mix - data  @ 30 m res - ( lots and lots of gb's)

The big difference will be where the addons will come from.

With FSX - Xplane - you are not forced to buy anything - because of quality and extended / unlimited possibilities Freeware offer -  but - with DTG it can all change.

Not really - !

the vectors shorelines showed in some of the images are not certainly the best on the market; lakes - rivers - etc etc will follow surely at same level of details.

No high res terrain mesh - very likely default will be based on 76 m srtm data or with a push asterdem and others in the mix - data  @ 30 m res - ( lots and lots of gb's)

DTG have no real interest to provide a finished product; put bum on seats first than hammer those sitting with DLC - (Project Stage 2)  !

I was talking about X-plane. For Flight school, I essentially see another modified FSX. This is not a horrible thing, and its a given that i'll give it a shot, but I certainly could have hoped for something a bit more exciting. Lets hope there are some good surprises.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Not to be a downer, but some of you seem to be about "cost" ... no simulator will flourish without continued revenue streams in a market this size ... devs don't work for free, do you work your "day job" (or night job) for no money?  We're just like you, family, mortgage, bills, etc. etc.

MS Flight failed because of limited backwards compatibility and simply not much of a market for an "intro" flight simulator when a much more in-depth one already existed and visually just NOT enough of a difference between the two (FSX/Flight).

If you want to love this hobby and see it flourish, you'll have to do that with your wallet or accept what it is, as it is ... or make the decision to exit stage left and come back in a decade and see we're still bound to the limits of our hardware.  No one is going to invest  a $100 million US into a new ground up flight simulator that is better (in every way) than what we currently have for a best case return of 500,000 paying customers.

If you can't apply the "blind eye" then this hobby is probably not for you ... OR you can apply the "blind eye" and enjoy the good rather than focus on the bad ... it's really all up to the user and what they want to make of it, the best or the worst.

Cheers, Rob.

Well said Rob. While we are all budget conscious, it is still a hobby and hobbies are expensive. Further, flight simulation development is one of the most expensive to develop given the niche that its in. Too many want things for free here. If DTG or anyone else for that matter produces the next best sim, that works well with great dev support , then I have no problem dishing out the cash for it to keep it going because this is a hobby that I love.

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

Myself spend hundreds in addons - 

but also i like to build my own addons - that was one of the forces that sit me behind it.

my point is - ok to buy and support - but also ok to be able to build my own - from Martin answer in the Q/A - this simulator will NOT have a public toolkit - or if any will be heavily restricted.

Has anyone seen "the Novawrap, Special Edition."

Novawing24 interview with Stephen Hood from Dovetail Games?

Very informative. A hint of things to come.

Steve A

This philosophy only works in a sim if there are enough addons available soon after release to keep interest up.

Hang on a minute... Dovetail Flight Simulator is going to be one of the most anticipated products in civilian flight simulation in the past 10 years, that alone should equate to sales or significant interest. It will have base scenery which will accomodate most users immediate needs and with the contacts Dovetail games have with 3PD I would imagine a DLC or two. I'm pretty certain interest will be there and it will only grow over time.

As for X-Plane which I like but the standard and variety of DLC comparied to FSX is rather poor. Carenado have some decent products on X-Plane but the scenery doesn't come close to the quality of FSX. The point being that X-Plane has survived as it is a good simulator and there's no reason not to believe Dovetail Flight Simulator will not be the same.

Cheers,

Dave.

Has anyone seen "the Novawrap, Special Edition."

Novawing24 interview with Stephen Hood from Dovetail Games?

Very informative. A hint of things to come.

Steve A

Hey Steve, long time no see! Yup, I've seen that video, but I think what a lot of us are salivating for is some in-game footage!

Devons rig

my point is - ok to buy and support - but also ok to be able to build my own - from Martin answer in the Q/A - this simulator will NOT have a public toolkit - or if any will be heavily restricted.

Martin has not said anything of the sort. In fact, he's not said anything specific about the availability or restrictions of an SDK.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Martin has not said anything of the sort. In fact, he's not said anything specific about the availability or restrictions of an SDK.

I think Martin would have made a good politician! :lol: He sort of danced around the subject,saying

"We recognise the passion that exists in the flight simulation community around enabling players to create user generated content. We will have more information to share on this as we get closer to the launch of Dovetail Games Flight Simulator. "

So he didn't say no, but also didn't commit to anything either, just like a politician.

• Upvote 3

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

I think Martin would have made a good politician! :lol: He sort of danced around the subject,saying

"We recognise the passion that exists in the flight simulation community around enabling players to create user generated content. We will have more information to share on this as we get closer to the launch of Dovetail Games Flight Simulator. "

So he didn't say no, but also didn't commit to anything either, just like a politician.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you ever seen a good politician ? i can tell you they are few and far between !!! Edited by n4gix
Moved reply out of quote box.