Sign in to follow this  
kenz

[P3Dv3] Any freeware texture replacement recommendation ?

hello !

I'm looking to improve a little bit my p3d v3 looking.

I'm trying to stay on low budget so I won't go REX / ORBX yet (using the money for airport sceneries insted)

I'm looking for freeware textures replacement for clouds, sky, runways, taxiway, grass,

For water I really like the p3d stock one

I've found those two right now :

Airport Enhancer HDX Lite for runway/taxiway/grass

and 

High Definition Environment v2.0 adapted to FSX for clouds/sky

it's very difficult to search and find such items in avsim library cause I don't really know what word to search,

type in "texture" and you will have thousands of aircraft repaint results....

do you agree these two are the best and it's enought to have a decent improvement or dou you have any recommendation ?

thanks for help !

Kenz

Hello,

I can't help.

But my experience with the combination FS Global 2010 / REX / ORBX / UTXv2 under P3Dv3.1 is so good, that I'm presently don't use any additional airports. Why:

- no problems with any wrong lights of the runways

- all bigger airports contain more or less the correct runways

- my FPS are usually in a range between 20 and 40 FPS (depends on the aircraft used) even in surround mode

Yako

sorry but I think I won't go this way yako, payware airport sceneries (the good ones) are so immersive and detailed that it's really changing the atmosphere of the sim especially cause I fly airliners in big airports, I think any (even enhanced) default airport can achieve that level.

Generally I always try to at least find a freeware scenery for airports I fly to.

As I fly airliners (high FL) I prefer to spend my money on airports then on country side (I mean ground textures products like ORBX, GEP etc..).

that's why I'm looking for nice freeware alternatives for this aspect

HDE2.0 should not be used in P3D. They're not working well in the DX11 environment.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Not that I know of sadly.

Mesh: FreeMeshX (You can find the downloads on this forum, under their own section)

Textures: Aime Leclercq (You can find the downloads on his Facebook page)

Runway/Taxiway: Upgrade can be done with

http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=runway+detail+texture+set&CatID=root&Go=Search

(Just drop the new textures in prepar3d/textures for runways and rename them taxiway_detail.bmp and taxiway_detail02.bmp and drop them into the same folder) This can also be used with REX and other runway texture addons. They look very realistic.

There is also a freeware texture pack for skies and clouds, but I cant recall the name... Maybe someone can point you to it, or try google for freeware cloud textures or something like that.

This will make your sim look a whole different already and it's all free.

Cheers!

Maarten

HDE2.0 should not be used in P3D. They're not working well in the DX11 environment.

The clouds (cumulus.bmp) work perfectly fine in P3D v2. They are amongst the first things I install after a reinstall: best clouds around for me. I don't even feel like getting REX or whatever for that. Can't beat it for that price but even if it had a price I would probably get them. I also used to use the sky textures but I like the default P3D v3.1 more now. I seem to remember the sky textures needed to be converted somehow... if you want to, I can mail you what I use in P3D: send me a PM.

Mesh: FreeMeshX (You can find the downloads on this forum, under their own section)

Textures: Aime Leclercq (You can find the downloads on his Facebook page)

These 2 in abundance! Aime's textures are ground textures a la FTX Global/GEX, and are very good.

Re the sky textures, I use Gabriel Teles's ones that are in the AVSIM library - they're for FSX but they work just fine in P3D.

The clouds (cumulus.bmp) work perfectly fine in P3D v2. They are amongst the first things I install after a reinstall: best clouds around for me. I don't even feel like getting REX or whatever for that. Can't beat it for that price but even if it had a price I would probably get them. I also used to use the sky textures but I like the default P3D v3.1 more now. I seem to remember the sky textures needed to be converted somehow... if you want to, I can mail you what I use in P3D: send me a PM.

Some reports suggest that they eat fps for breakfast and lunch, and that the lighting/shadows becomes slightly off. I haven't tested them since P3D v1. 

Some reports suggest that they eat fps for breakfast and lunch, and that the lighting/shadows becomes slightly off. I haven't tested them since P3D v1. 

Ah, ok, well, they work perfectly fine here. No performance loss at all and the shadows look okay although I have to say I have no clue how you can tell if the shadows are slightly off... :wink:

They do on my system which is a pity as they're fantastic in FSX. I've found a lovely set of very realistic cumulus clouds in REX4. I'll post the info once home tonight for anyone who wants to try them.

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg

They do on my system which is a pity as they're fantastic in FSX.

Hm, odd... Maybe I should test this on my PC to see if there really is no difference between default and HDE clouds. But even if there is, performance is top notch on my PC right now. Odd. Ah, well, computers....... :wink: