Sign in to follow this  
Noel

At high altitude, distant textures won't update--any workaround?

Since picking up the PMDG 747, I have found myself flying higher than I used to, and I notice out in the distance, sometimes in the not too distant, textures haven't updated to the higher detail levels. Until I get up to maybe FL34 or so, I don't notice it. This is true regardless of my VM settings, and I have plenty of free ram available for what it's worth. Detail at lower altitudes is amazing. Some things I have done to improve the situation to the best knowledge will allow includes setting the frame lock at 22, cloud distance slider to 40 (normally at 70 or so formerly). I am using FSG mesh & FSCENE textures, default cloud textures, DXT textures for the aircraft, and a VC frame lock of 12. From fs9.cfg, TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=16776704 (can't remember where I got this from, but it was supposed to mesh detail far off or something)TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=100.000000TERRAIN_MIN_DEM_AREA=10.000000TERRAIN_MAX_DEM_AREA=100.000000TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=21TERRAIN_TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=8TERRAIN_AUTOGEN_DENSITY=2TERRAIN_USE_GRADIENT_MAP=1TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=1TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=9.500000TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=4.500000TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=4Is my situation just a function of the limitations of machine and sim, or are there fine tunings that can improve this? Thx,Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Hi,The only thing different than mine is.TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=21TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=4.500000TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=4I have mine set at:TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=19TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=9.500000TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=1

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

Hi Noel,I assume you're talking about the issue I described in this thread? http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/show...=water+problemsIf so, other than reducing max visibility and adding haze or clouds there's little if anything you or anyone else can do; it's a limitation of the way FS renders the far distance (which is entirely different from the way it displays the landscape near the user's airplane).Cheers, Holger

Thanks for those suggestions and information. Yes, I did have Extended Terrain Textures checked. I guess it is just a fixed issue for frame rate preservation that has no work around (ie, you can't override this rule), other than making other adjustments to minimize its visual impact. I will try the other settings suggested to, such as those suggested by Mike. Thanks again.Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Not sure, but I think Terrain Extended Radius should be larger than Terrain Default Radius. Here's how mine is setTERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=5.000000TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=8.000000TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=1TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=80With all of these settings, it's pretty much a crap shoot as to which works the "best". No one really understands what they all mean anyway.One easy fix for blurry textures is to adjust the Zoom setting in your view windows. Try setting all your zoom settings (cockpit, VC, spot, etc.) to 0.90 or 0.85 and textures will look much better than if your zoom is set to 1.00 or higher.Matt

Thanks Matt, again, it is only the tiled textured way far out (as you sometimes easily notice when at altitude looking out over the ocean, when you have vis set for 80 or more. You get those diamond shaped patches farthest away. When flying down around FL24 or below, I don't notice it at all. So really, it's either super crisp, or way far out the tiles haven't updated yet with the higher res textures. I do use zoom levels between .50 and .65 and have for many years for two reasons, like the sense of speed at low levels, and as you say it sharpens up the textures nicely.Thanks again people you are a great help.Cheers,Noel

Noel