Sign in to follow this  
jagman

add new airport

Hello all

I have successfully added OTHH into FS9 but RC4 does not recognise its existence.

I can start my PMDG 747 at a gate in a saved flight but when I start RC4 the A/C is floating in

midair, the Y key reveals the A/C has no position.....Lat/Long is all zeros.

What is the procedure for installing a new Airport in RC4 >

I have run Makerunways.......to no effect on this issue,

Any help much appreciated

David Ireland  UK   

New airports have to be manually entered in m4.csv as well (in alphabetical order). Use data from the nearest airport to it for the obstacle altitude and transition altitude. Be sure to make a safe copy of m4.csv before editing with only notepad or wordpad, not Excel or data processing application..

In the rcv5.csv file in your fs folder make sure the entries are in the correct format. Layout in the makerwys readme. r5.csv is copied as r4.csv to the rcv4x\data folder and a4.csv is created from that all processed by the rcv4 scenery rebuild. a4.csv is the calculated airport reference coordinates. Be sure OTHH is in both files.

In your FSX file folder you'll find an f4.csv file created by makerws. There now should be a line for OTHH. That needs to be pasted into the RCv4\data f4.csv or you can make a safe backup copy of r4.csv and then copy the f4.csv file in your FSX folder into your rcv4x\data folder. Do NOT start RC without an f4.csv or other data files being in it. You will get an error 62 and may require a reinstall of rc.

Hi Ronzie

Thanks for the reply......but editing the m4/f4.csv as you suggest does not work for me.

Having looked into this I find that makerws is not detecting and processing OTHH from my scenery.cfg

even though the entry appears OK.

Any thoughts on this ?

Regards

David

David,

Can you post the entries you have created in a4.csv, m4.csv and r4.csv.

Remember you should increment the count at the start of m4.csv by one.

Always use Notepad to edit the files, never Excel.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

If makerwys is not detecting your new airport then something is wrong. Have you examined in your FS folder runways.txt using wordpad (notepad will not handle this huge file). You must have as the last entry for "airport OTHH" a section sowing runways, etc. and its path must point to your new airport folder. If that is correct then r5.csv should have entries for OTHH runways. If they are there they will be copied to rcv4data as r4.csv and a4.csv will be created.

Every time you do a scenery rebuild new r5.csv is created along with in rcv4x\data a new r4.csv and a4.csv therefore wiping out any manual edits in those two.

You should check the date-time stamp of r5.csv in your FS folder and r4.csv and a4.csv to see if they match closely the time of your scenery rebuild session allowing a few seconds for building and copying to insure the new r5.csv file was transferred for processing.

Be sure makerwys.exe is updated from here:

http://forum.simflight.com/topic/66136-useful-additional-programs/

Notepad ++ is a great free alternative. https://notepad-plus-plus.org/download/v6.8.8.html

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hello Ray....thanks for your help and interest......I remember you from a good while back.......on Compuserve.

Its good to know what should happen......

What is not happening here is, for some reason, Makerunways is not adding OTHH to the runways.txt file .

Its only OTHH that has the problem.....

I have started again from a backup scenery.cfg file and added half a dozen new airports to the scenery library in the usual way.......then rebuilt the scenery database in RC.......

I then checked the RC4 files.......no problems at all with the airport/runway data.

Its only the Controller info screen entries that need to be added manually........thats for later.....if the airport works.... eventually.

OTHH (Taxi2gate payware) proved problematic to install from the start.......

I needed 2 re-installations before the visual scenery would display properly.......so I have removed the Airport completely

and I will have one more try....from scratch.

If not I will throw the problem back to T2G.....or perhaps Pete Dowson can help. 

I'll let you know how I get on

best regards

David

Hi Dave,

CompuServe eh? That makes you a veteran! I can still remember my ID - 100651.450. Sad eh? :smile:

If T2G OTHH is not installing correctly that may be the reason MakeRunways is not detecting it. If you can get a successful reinstall of it and are able to position your aircraft at one of its gates that should be good enough for MakeRunways to detect it.

All I can suggest is you zip up runways.txt and provide it to Pete on his forum. He'll soon tell you what the problem is.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I am indeed an FS veteran !........but I forgot my Compuserve id long ago......along with many other things too.......

goes with being a veteran !

Ray/Ron

I have just lost a post summarising how ......with expert help from you both I have succeeded with OTHH in RC4

I pressed "Post" and it vanished.........grrrr

Thanks very much for your help........job done......happy days !

Best regards

David

Hi Dave,

Glad you've resolved the problem. If you feel like it post details of what you did as it may help others. :smile:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

OK Ray.....I'll try again........

Firstly.......I backed up  rc4\data\m4.csv & f4.csv......for safety.

I then did a clean re-install of OTHH.......and made sure the scenery library entry was suitable .

Using AFX the AFCAD was amended so all the frequencies tallied with my charts .

FS9 was started up at OTHH and the 747 placed at a suitable gate.

RC4 was opened and the scenery database was rebuilt.........with FS still running

I then checked FS9\runways.txt.........the airport OTHH data was all present......makerunways had done its stuff !

I then entered a line in rc4\data\m4.csv for OTHH as per above instructions and incremented the count by one....before saving.

Then copy FS9\f4.csv to rcv4\data and overwrite the existing file......

Restart the computer/FS/RC and functional test.......which worked fine for me.....at last.......

Happy days !

Best regards

David

Thanks for posting that David. Just a couple of points. It's not necessary (or desirable) for FS to be running when you update RC's data via MakeRunways. It will slow the process down.

I assume you added OTHH to a4.csv manually. Pretty sure the process won't add new airports itself.

The key is when you start a flight from OTHH and launch RC4. Hopefully it won't put you at lat 0 lon 0.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I have to say that of the many attempts I made to get makerunways to work the only one that worked first time was when FS was running...........could be pure co-incidence of course.....but there it is.

My new and very powerful computer ran the process very quickly.......but I accept others may not have the same experience if they do not have a "power machine".

I have had a look at a4.csv and I do not remember editing that one......indeed I don't understand what some of the data means.....

so I would have had real trouble there .......could be a "Veteran moment" of course !   :smile:

David

Hi David,

It doesn't make any sense that MakeRunways will only run if FS is also running. How long it takes depends on how many scenery layers you have of course. With an i7 4770k @ 4.4GHz and 270 layers it takes around a minute or less on mine.

Have you tried starting a flight from OTHH yet? Is that airport in a4.csv? I'm not sure how MakeRunways could add an entry to it.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather