Sign in to follow this  
Joe Verschueren

Upgraded to P3D V3 - do I have to re-purchase the NGX

Good afternoon:

Recently upgrade to P3D V3. I had the PMDG 737 NGX for FSX. Do I have to purchase the PMDG 737 NGX for P3D? 

Tried to search through the 2000+  pages of threads, but I did not find anything.

Thanks,

Joe Verschueren

Guest JustanotherPilot

Good afternoon:

Recently upgrade to P3D V3. I had the PMDG 737 NGX for FSX. Do I have to purchase the PMDG 737 NGX for P3D? 

Tried to search through the 2000+  pages of threads, but I did not find anything.

Thanks,

Joe Verschueren

Bit late now Joe but if you had gone straight to PMDG website you would have found the answer in the news and forums. It was mentioned pretty well as soon as it was released.

Bit late now Joe but if you had gone straight to PMDG website you would have found the answer in the news and forums. It was mentioned pretty well as soon as it was released.

Thanks Steve. I couldn't find it. Obviously I am not looking in the right area. I looked in the forums and searched for a few key terms. Can you point me to where you found the info? The going in answer is yes - you will have to buy the whole version. But I read a few places where it is backwards compatible. Wanted to get the real story. Maybe I am searching for the wrong terms.

Thanks Steve. I couldn't find it. Obviously I am not looking in the right area. I looked in the forums and searched for a few key terms. Can you point me to where you found the info? The going in answer is yes - you will have to buy the whole version. But I read a few places where it is backwards compatible. Wanted to get the real story. Maybe I am searching for the wrong terms.

Here's one of a couple:

http://www.avsim.com/topic/459512-08jan15-updated-p3d-development-information/

Customers who own a license to use a PMDG product on a platform other than P3D will not be able to convert the non-P3D license for use on P3D.  PMDG licensing is issued on a per-platform and per-product basis and this is not anticipated to change with the addition of new simulation platforms to the marketplace.

Kyle Rodgers

Guest JustanotherPilot

Joe,

I just googled "pmdg 737 ngx prepar3d separate purchase" and many sites listed explaining the requirement - not sure how you tried to get the info.

no its free, as will be the 747 and the MD11.... of course its a new purchase. It states this in the forums and plenty of other places.

no its free, as will be the 747 and the MD11.... of course its a new purchase. It states this in the forums and plenty of other places.

Why the sarcasm and why "of course"? There are plenty of developers very happy to allow an FSX purchase to be installed in P3D if the user upgrades their base sim. Many provide installers that do just that. 

Every developer makes their own business decision on this - there is no "of course"

Cheers

• Upvote 3

Paul Hand

I started a thread a little while ago on whether it was worth the re-purchase.

For the record, I lasted 3 weeks without the 777,   

The 737 I'm holding off for a little while longer.

Why the sarcasm and why "of course"? There are plenty of developers very happy to allow an FSX purchase to be installed in P3D if the user upgrades their base sim. Many provide installers that do just that. 

Every developer makes their own business decision on this - there is no "of course"

Cheers

While I don't agree with the sarcastic tone, I don't fully agree with you either. No other FSX developer has their products licensed by Boeing.

You clearly don't understand just how much this costs. P3D is a commercial platform, not entertainment. Commercial = higher costs. Boeings license fee for the P3D platform will be higher because it's not an entertainment license like for FSX/FSXSE.

I don't know the ins and outs of it, but I'm sure PMDG have swallowed the extra licensing cost to some degree, but at the same time they still have to make a profit. Giving away that extra license would be a massive hit to PMDGs profits, which results in a massive hit to future developments like the 747, DC6 and beyond.

So to summarise. Was the sarcasm not required? Yes. Is the separate license and added cost for P3D warranted? Yes. Is it the case of 'of course'? In my opinion, and anybody else that is even mildly business orientated, yes!!

This has been discussed to death over and over. We don't need another war of "why can xxx developer give me a free P3D license with my FSX license but PMDG can't, you suck PMDG". First you take a deep breath. Secondly ask yourself does my favourite developer xxx have an official manufacturers license? Then think before posting. 

Thanks for listening.

PMDG was the only thing that kept me away from P3D till v3.2. I love PMDG, but 134.99USD for the same T7 as I have for FSX is a little to much. Im sure there are a lot of people that are still stuck with FSX just because of PMDG. 

PMDG was the only thing that kept me away from P3D till v3.2. I love PMDG, but 134.99USD for the same T7 as I have for FSX is a little to much. Im sure there are a lot of people that are still stuck with FSX just because of PMDG. 

Count me in. My 2 PMDG planes are stuck within FSX as I refuse to pay another 200+ bucks for both aircraft. I mean, Majestic didn't charge me anything for using the Q400 in P3D and, correct me if I'm wrong, I'm sure they're in the same boat as PMDG with regards to licensing.

Guest Mik75

I own all PMDG releases for FSX, and I bought the NGX for P3D, because I spend most of my simming time in P3D v3, especially when flying online. I haven't regret it, though it's a quite bitter pill to swallow.

I haven't bought the T7 for P3D yet, and I probably won't. I still got my FSX in good shape on a second SSD. And when I feel the need for flying the 777 (or any of the FSX only addons, and there are many), I fire up FSX and enjoy it.

I don't criticize what PMDG do, it's their own decision, and nobody forces me to buy their products. But my decision is quite clear. I don't want to pay twice (and even a lot more) for the same product. And the T7 just gives me another reason, to fly in good old (and very stable FSX DX9) from time to time...

PMDG777

A very logically thought out post. :clapping:

• Upvote 1