Sign in to follow this  
hornplayer

Fatal Error with Majestic Q400

problem: Majestic aircraft "only" external view of aircraft appeared as skeleton...I was advised by Majestic support to erase everything from the "shader" and "shader10" folders, which I did...

Then after rebooting fsx, the window where the aircraft appear was solid black...I could see the various aircraft so I chose the Majestic Q400...The screen was totally black, but I could hear the engines running...

I did a repair with FSX deluxe 2 disks...When I attempted to access fsx, I received a fatal error and fsx closed...]

Anyone know how to correct this problem...I am not a computer geek, but can follow instructions...

Bob Adams

Bob Adams

A possible fix, although with P3D, can be found at the following link - http://www.avsim.com/topic/471574-black-screen/

Most of these problems with black screens are caused by the display drivers.  If you recently installed new display drivers, you should roll them back to the previous version or install the previous version.  I personally have never had any problems with installing the latest and greatest display drivers but many people who have suffered with black screens have fixed their problem just by rolling back the display driver.  Why they get black screens and I don't with the latest and greatest is unknown but it is a solution that you should consider.

The AVSIM CTD Guide (see my signature for the link to this file) has many other suggestions you can try.  For instance, most problems with FSX can be fixed by deleting the fsx.cfg, restarting FSX and letting the config rebuild.

Delete/Rebuild your Facilities/Scenery Indexes and Shader Folders – These are temporary folders and should be deleted periodically (they will be rebuilt):

Facilities/Scenery Indexes are located in C:\Program Data\Microsoft\FSX\(hidden).  Delete the Facilities and Scenery folders. They will be rebuilt.

Delete the Shader folders located in C:\Users\(your username)\AppData\Local/Microsoft\ FSX\Shader10 and Shader folders (hidden). The Shader 10 folder is created when you enable DX10 Preview in FSX.  The Shaders folder for DX9 will always be created.  When you restart FSX/P3D, these folders will be rebuilt.  Deleting these temporary folders has also been known to fix some CTD’s. 

You stated you did a "repair" of FSX and then, when you tried to access FSX it crashed.  When you do a repair of FSX, you must do a repair of FSX deluxe (which is the basic version of FSX); then if you have Acceleration installed, you must also do a repair by inserting those disks and doing a repair there too.  If you did not install Acceleration, then you must have installed SP1 and SP2 to FSX.  In that case you must also do a repair of SP1 and SP2 before you can restart FSX.

If you need any further assistance, please let us know and we will try to help.  We know that everyone is not a computer expert or that knowledgeable of computers and FSX so don't be concerned and let us know if you need additional help.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks Jim for the assistance. After following your instructions, I was able to get everything up and running again...This is one of the reasons I joined this forum.

Bob Adams

Glad I was able to help.  Welcome to AVSIM!

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10