Raven9000

Help pick OS for new build

Which OS for new build  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Which OS would you choose for a new build as described in the post

• Windows 7
    • Windows 8.1
    • Windows 10

Putting this here as there is no generic OS forum, and this is one of the options anyway...

After learning for some time now about the nuances of radeon cards for simming, combined with me desisting of upgrading an older second machine based on Nvidia because I would end up like always using just ONE PC and the other would just gather dust, and topping it off with coming to the conclusion that a new skylake cpu would add little to no benefit to what I currently had, I decided and ended up with:

- Keeping my i7 4790K w/Asus Maximus Hero VII Z97 motherboard and Corsair H100i cooling system.

- Adding another 16GB of matching RAM to my G.Skill Trident-X 2400Mhz DDR3 for a total of 32GB

- Sold my two R9 290s and replaced them with an Asus Strix GTX 980 Ti OC

- Added a 1TB Samsung 850 Evo SSD drive, so now I have 3 same brand and model 120GB (OS / General), 250GB (Currently FSX + add-ons) , 1TB (currently blank), as well as a standard 3TB 7200rpm HDD for general gaming.

- Haven't yet sold (but have them on sale) 3 x 23" LG IPS monitors and purchased a new shiny Dell Ultra Wide 34" U3415W

So I want to start from scratch, re-installing everything and OS. Considering that:

- Win 7 has been around a lot, you all know pretty much all about it and its secrets

- Win 8.1 also has been around a decent amount of time

- Win 10 not that much but some experience has been gathered about it already

And:

- I do a lot of "regular"(?) gaming besides simming

- Currently using FSX-SE and X-Plane but would also like to add P3D soon

- I have valid licenses for both Win 7 and win 8.1 (and also by that for Win 10)

If you had to install the OS from scratch, on a system like mine, with the considerations just mentioned, and with everything we know about the three OS's... Which would you choose and why?

Appreciate the vote plus any comments that could add to the discussion.

Thanks!!!

I would install Win 7 64.

Proven and solid.   You have full control.

All the addons work..

You can upgrade to Win 10 some time in the future when there are good

reasons for doing so.

• Upvote 1

Bert

Win 7 64 here on all my flight sim machines (3) and no plans to change in the foreseeable future.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Reports of Win 7's impending death are greatly exaggerated.  It still just works...

Greg

Thanks all for the feedback. Seems the consencus is biased towards Win 7. I was kinda worried being 10 is the new thing and all, dx12, etc, for other games. But it doesn't seem to be the case that it's absolutely required yet or anytime soon...