Sign in to follow this  
xender

A normal checklist from a real airline?

Simon you mentioned, you don't 'read and do', well part of the checklist that i have (before takeoff checklist to the line) when you get to takeoff briefing - the captain reviews the critical items at that callout -

Items to review include, but are not limited to:

- Packs

- Bleeds

- Speeds

- SID - include initial turn requirement

- Stop altitude - The captain shall first refer to the FMC LEGS page, then point

to and call the hard altitude previously noted or inserted. The captain shall then point to the selected MCP altitude and confirm that it is the same value as on the FMC LEGS page and call “SET.”

Vernon Howells

Yes, but it's a review of the briefing that has already taken place and the stop altitudes etc should have already been set. The packs, bleeds etc will then be set later when entering the runway as part of the line-up flow. So it's still not 'read and do' -- that would be reading PACKS.... OFF and actuating the switch at that time.

You are checking packs are AUTO and bleeds are on. Why have you mentioned PACKS OFF? This review is still part of the checklist list. But i know what you are saying!

Vernon Howells

I'm not particularly au fait with FR's procedures, but the takeoff brief review is just that. You're reviewing what you discussed in the takeoff brief that you did at the gate (packs/bleeds on or off). The packs/bleeds would generally be set ON (or AUTO) after engine start. If you're doing a packs-off takeoff (and I don't know what FR's policy is but I imagine it might be necessary for performance reasons on occasion if not to save a few kilos of fuel), the packs & bleeds will still be on at the point you review the takeoff brief, because it's not time to turn them off yet. So checking at this point achieves very little.

In the case of a packs-off takeoff, you would generally, set them as briefed (i.e. either left alone or turned off) later - during runway entry, then turn them back on (by scan flow) around Aa, then check that you have actually turned them back on in the after takeoff checklist (which is when packs/bleeds not selected on becomes safety critical -- and if you're turning them on in response to the checklist, it's because you've forgotten to do so as part of the after takeoff flow).

The review is part of the checklist, but the items listed are, I would suggest, more of an aide-memoire. You're certainly not briefing any new information -- you're just repeating/reinforcing/confirming what you've already done, so that your oppo doesn't forget to turn the packs/bleeds off in a moment if that's what's required for performance reasons. Likewise checking the SID is correctly programmed and the stop altitude is correctly set is a sensible thing to check, but you should already have done this back at the gate and if you're doing it when you review the routing, again it's because you've forgotten to do it earlier (and therefore the checklist has achieved it's purpose).

As I say, you're still performing everything by scan flow, then checking/verifying afterwards with the checklist.

Well i can't share this operators procedures too much, but if wing anti ice is not needed for taxi they configure for a "Before Taxi - No Engine Bleed" prior to taxi and after engine start.

I get what you are saying simon its certainly is highlighting key points and a reminder for the crew up front.

This operator also has a scan flow after takeoff - (flaps up no lights) During the After T/O Checks the Air Conditioning & Pressurisation check is and should be read aloud.

Vernon Howells

Hi,

I think you are getting your Flows (memorized items) and Checklists (performed and recalled via paper checklist) confused. For starters, your not going to find ANY airline flow anywhere and as for the 737 checklist it's Boeing's checklist with some in house additional items added.

If you want to become proficient in the 737, work on your flows. The best books available can be found by Capt. Mike Ray of UTM.

That's it.

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

Hi Vernon,

No, the original poster.

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

Hows the NG build going? I'm settling with FlyEngravity and visiting leystad where the simulator centre is to have a look at it before purchase. :)

Vernon Howells

You can find a lot of good stuff by just searching the internet, using carefully chosen keywords. :smile:

Hi,

Getting there slowly, the next step is to add a room to the house (16x25) so from this point forward it will be small additions to the hardware. Just working on photo real in Florida.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CtMrR5eNdc

Hows the NG build going? I'm settling with FlyEngravity and visiting leystad where the simulator centre is to have a look at it before purchase. :)

Hi,

The problem with the video: A. It's both Flow and Checklist and B.  It starts after the Electrical Power Up (for someone looking for everything) Supplementary procedure. I have both PMDG's Captain Set FCOM 1, FCOM 2, FCTM from Boeing themselves as well as the above set from Delta... The checklist are basically the same so they have not been altered much in this case.

I assume you mean the glareshield check list?

This is ours current as at 30JUN15 for the B737-800, cut and paste of course, as I cannot provide a copy of the original copyright document. It is one double sided A4 piece of paper, laminated and kept on the glareshield.

This is it in its entirety, except for one security item which I have removed.

PREFLIGHT

Oxygen . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Tested, 100% C, F/O

Navigation transfer and DISPLAY

switches . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . NORMAL, AUTO F/O

Window heat . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ON F/O

Pressurization mode selector . . . . . . . . . . . . . AUTO F/O

Flight instruments . . . . . Heading ___, Altimeter ___ C, F/O

Parking brake. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Set C

Engine start levers . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . CUTOFF C

BEFORE START

Transponder. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . AUTO F/O

Fuel . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .___ KGS, Pumps ON C, F/O

Verify CENTER TANK FUEL PUMPS (as required) ON

Passenger signs . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ___ F/O

Windows. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Locked C, F/O

MCP. . . . . . . . V2 ___, HEADING ___, ALTITUDE ___ C

Takeoff speeds . . . . . . . . . . .V1 ___, VR ___, V2 ___ C, F/O

CDU preflight . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Completed C, F/O

Trim. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ___ UNITS, 0, 0 C

Taxi and takeoff briefing. . . . . . . . . . . . . .Completed C

BEFORE TAXI

Generators . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . On F/O

Probe heat . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ON F/O

Anti-ice . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ___ C, F/O

Isolation valve . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . AUTO F/O

Recall . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Checked C, F/O

Autobrake. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . RTO F/O

Engine start levers . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . IDLE detent C

Flight controls . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Checked C

Ground equipment . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Clear C or F/O

SHUTDOWN

Fuel pumps . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Set F/O

Probe heat . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . OFF/AUTO F/O

Hydraulic panel . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Set F/O

Flaps . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .UP F/O

Parking brake. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ___ C

Engine start levers . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . CUTOFF C

Weather radar . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Off F/O

SECURE

IRSs. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .OFF F/O

Emergency exit lights . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .OFF F/O

Window heat . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .OFF F/O

Packs . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .OFF F/O

APU. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ___ F/O

That is it.

You forgot, "Lock Cockpit Door".  :P