Sign in to follow this  
Richard Sennett

Carenado GTX Observation and question

As you can see below this is what I did after a few flights got lucky with key combo I guess - flight was perfect except for ILS landing had ILS freq set and course which is all ready set as you come on final to runway as you can see its reading perfect in the PFD

Now I could have just let it do its thing to the runway as fms was doing all the work buy hey tried auto land and when I hit VOR1 then APPR thing went wonky -

APPR would not turn on even tried Jim's idea of hitting VS to shut it off but it was all ready off which I would assume was a good thing - had to hand fly it in no problem - any thoughts on what I did wrong on the ILS approach did not here ILS beep either - heard before in messed up flights so the radios should be on as I never touched them other than putting in the right ILS freq. 

I think the VOR1 switch was the problem maybe it should have been in another mode

But all in all only a few lousy tries - seems I have most of it working now

thanks Guys

This is all i did after take off

In gtx I used fms mode (in PFD) - nav - vnav - alt - flc (once) after take off and it did everything perfectly even followed assigned altitudes

Rich Sennett

Hey Rich,

When I did it the VS switch was already off too, I hadn't used it, but after you hit the VS button hit the APPR button again and it should stick that time. At least it does for me.

Hey Rich,

When I did it the VS switch was already off too, I hadn't used it, but after you hit the VS button hit the APPR button again and it should stick that time. At least it does for me.

ok Jim - I tried that but like I said went wacky - I will give it another go - just loaded Hawker want to take it up and see if it behaves like GTX - let you know

Rich Sennett

Well Hawker didn't go as easy - have to figure that out as I have forgotten how I had it working - got there and down but in the beginning it wasn't pretty

Rich Sennett

Report it to Carenado, this is a known issue.

I also reported the problems with the Direct To feature. They basically stated they know and will not fix it.

I think version 1.3 is the best we are going to get out of this product and it is a shame as there is so much more than could be fixed. This means I wouldn't hold my breath for their CJ2. I suspect we are in for the same, great looks and FDE with a very simplified avionics.

Report it to Carenado, this is a known issue.

I also reported the problems with the Direct To feature. They basically stated they know and will not fix it.

I think version 1.3 is the best we are going to get out of this product and it is a shame as there is so much more than could be fixed. This means I wouldn't hold my breath for their CJ2. I suspect we are in for the same, great looks and FDE with a very simplified avionics.

I fly the GTN version with Bert's mods and it is great. Great looks, great sounds, reliable autopilot. Why suffer? Hand flies very well, flies ILS and RNAV approaches well. Just mind the altitude. :)

I'd sworn off VNAV but after Rich posted he'd had success with it I tried it again on the LDA 25 into KEGE. I must have tickled everything just right because it really nailed it. I love that approach, if you do it though, the FMS will try to put you on the missed approach 800' above the runway and 3 miles prior to reaching it so you have to take over on the vertical after crossing CIPKU otherwise VNAV will start climbing you again for the mahp. I departed KAPA, programmed /22,000' at ZIMMR and /16000 at RLG. That was really a cool flight! :smile:

I'd sworn off VNAV but after Rich posted he'd had success with it I tried it again on the LDA 25 into KEGE. I must have tickled everything just right because it really nailed it. I love that approach, if you do it though, the FMS will try to put you on the missed approach 800' above the runway and 3 miles prior to reaching it so you have to take over on the vertical after crossing CIPKU otherwise VNAV will start climbing you again for the mahp. I departed KAPA, programmed /22,000' at ZIMMR and /16000 at RLG. That was really a cool flight! :smile:

Nice Jim -  I just shut off AP before touch down - works great actually bet most pilots do it that way anyway and in airliners - ils landings are forbidden 

PMDG 737 and 777 does ils landings so easily

You should get the hawker way nicer than the gtx - gtx is harder it seems on fps - seems a bit sluggish while panning around - not with hawker

Plus I have some very nice paints for the Hawker - let me know Buddy - you will luv it - I think I have it figured out also only thing I have to remember is button push after take off to go to altitude

Not sure if its alt button or just using VS - FLC 

I have tweaks for it to so you can use auto speed

Oh the fms is way easy to use and gives you nice flight plans - I have a difficult one as its a short flight and it does it perfectly - only other program I have seen do it correctly is Idealflight and I have tried them all

Rich Sennett

Lol, I'd own the Hawker already if the cheap ...stards would've included it in the xmas sale! I'll hook up with you when I get it though, thanks :smile:

Lol, I'd own the Hawker already if the cheap ...stards would've included it in the xmas sale! I'll hook up with you when I get it though, thanks :smile:

lol good one Jim - ok let me know hook you up

Rich Sennett

I fly the GTN version with Bert's mods and it is great. Great looks, great sounds, reliable autopilot. Why suffer? Hand flies very well, flies ILS and RNAV approaches well. Just mind the altitude. :)

I appreciate your choice, however Bert's mod cause further autopilot problems with version 1.3 so I have gone back to using Carenado's version. I like many of Bert's mods and he is the reason, in my book, that Carenado avionics get better each time. Just in this one rare case Caernado got the autopilot a little bit closer to a real PL21 then Bert's mods. 

Back to my main point, report problems. Careado has seemed to turn over a new leaf with customer support taking a more active role in trying to resolve issues followed up with a customer support satisfaction survey. If you are not participating in this process then Carenado will continue to think they are on the correct path. We need to let Carenado know when we dislike some of the short cuts they used and solutions such as "this is a limitation of MSFS or P3D" are not acceptable. 

There's a v1.3 now? I read these stupid forums 12 times a day, that's the first I've heard of it, are they 'stealth patching' now? What did they fix?

There's a v1.3 now? I read these stupid forums 12 times a day, that's the first I've heard of it, are they 'stealth patching' now? What did they fix?

Jim I think he means 1.3 version of Berts mod - not the carenado - I just bought it and its not 1.3 - hope this helps

Rich Sennett