Sign in to follow this  
Joe Flyer2

Games for Windows Marketplace, FSX, and Me

Let me try to keep this short and sweet because sometimes my wording can confuse people, which is really NOT something that I want with this topic. So let me be honest... this my not be in the right thread, but as far as I'm concerned, this pertains to Microsoft Flight Simulator X and may or may not have been covered already.

As I'm sure many of you are aware of, a while back, Microsoft did some major maintenance and discontinued the ability for further purchases through the Games for Windows Marketplace client in August of 2013. Okay, stay with me here.

Back in July 2012, they did some other maintenance that pertained to MS Games for Windows Marketplace. Still with me?

So I've recently built a PC. I wanted to put FSX:Gold Edition on the PC because, as old as FSX is, I knew I could get it to perform a little better. To retrieve my digital download which I purchased in August of 2011, I planned on using the Games for Windows Marketplace client. But this time (and still currently), I am greeted with the message "Failed to retrieve purchase history. Please sign out and try again later." I'm sure some of you are familiar with this message. This is really strange. The last time I recall using the Marketplace client was sometime last year or maybe in 2014. There were no error messages.

So this means a.) I am currently not able to download FSX (or anything for that matter) via the marketplace. b.) I can not download any DLC I painfully paid for for MS Flight. A little more backstory: upon checking my Microsoft and xbox account, there was a notice that said any purchases prior to July of 2012 may not show up, and that I would have to contact Microsoft support. So, I was forced to go on Microsoft Support, but I was eventually told to call during a business day to contact their products department and what not. So, here we are, on a weekday, after 1 and a half hours with Microsoft support and essentially getting nowhere. I was told to get a new copy of FSX, but considering FSX was discontinued by Microsoft (and the license was sold to Dovetail, not that that's directly related), all copies of a DVD (not download) I can find are in the range of $180 (damn I hate how people manipulate economics). This is absurd considering I only paid $32 for FSX:Gold back in 2011. On top of this, I find it completely absurd that Microsoft finds it upon themselves the right to practically delete older purchases without proper notification.

So at this point: I have no way of properly installing FSX to my new PC, AND any new physical copies (which I don't have) are an unrealistically high price, even on reputable retailers like Amazon.

Note: NO, I do not want to purchase FSX: Steam Edition.

So my question: Is there a legal way (as in NO pirated stuff... I'm really not into that) to just get the FSX installer so I can confidently uninstall it from my old PC and use my product key for the installer to install FSX on my new PC? Otherwise, is there an installer located in the FSX folder? Does anyone know a retailer that isn't ripping anybody off with a $180 "rare item" price tag?

Last resort: Is there a way to actually manually take the files from my old PC and put them, folder paths and all, on my new PC? (If this is illegal, and I might see why, than never mind).

Any other suggestions? There isn't really a way to get FSX:Gold Edition any more, and I really, really am avoiding FSX:SE.

Thanks. Oh, and it looks like I failed to keep this post short (sorry!).

Joe.

I would start by copying the entire FSX folder from your old PC to your new PC.

Also the appdata\roaming\microsoft\fsx folder, and the programdata\microsoft\fsx folder.

Then try to run fsx.exe.

It may refuse to run since you do not have the registry entries etc.. or it may ask you for the serial number

and you are good to go.

Worth a try!

• Upvote 1

Bert

+Bert Pieke

Will certainly try! I came across another post that mentioned how I can change the registries or something. Thanks!

+Berk Pieke

I first started with uninstalling all associated FSX programs on the old PC, and manually cleaned up the program as best I could, including the AppData FSX folder. I then ran FSX on the old PC to make sure it worked. 

I then copied respective folders to their respective paths, including the FSX folder in AppData, the main FSX folder, and the associated Documents>Microsoft Flight Simulator X Files. 

Upon launch, I got the infamous 8-c0000006 error, which is a direct indicator of missing/corrupt registry files associated with FSX. I was also created with the "Failed to locate Area.120" thing (something along those lines), but I fixed that quickly.

So now I only have the registry error, but oddly enough, this does not prevent FSX from running, but I believe it has caused a few odd problems with the add-on aircraft.  

Tomorrow or over the weekend, I'm planning to make sure the program data folder is properly copied. Then, I'm going to go ahead and run through some of the files that may not have been copied in the main FSX folder (including Simconnect, which, believe it or not, I think I left out!!!). 

That should fix a few things. Of course, that registry problem will still be there. I am still working on figuring out a way to get FSX to let me enter my Product Key.... Other than that, I am baffled that FSX actually runs! I am also glad to say it runs quite smoothly at 30 FPS on the new PC, even with some add-ons (but I made sure to use Word Not Allowed's tweaking guide, if you haven't checked it out. I'm already quite familiar with it). 

But honestly, if you know a way to fix to that registry issue, please don't hesitate to tell me. Once I am confident I can input a serial number, I will then uninstall the previous copy. Until then, I am still greeted with the registry error, and a few internal errors with aircraft. What a hassle Microsoft has given. All I wanted to do was reinstall!!! (But they had to go ahead and delete my purchase history off of the Games for Windows Marketplace Client. You'd think they'd have the decency to leave it there like they promised, even after the client was no longer in use by the company). 

It looks promising, but how dependable is it? Who referred you to it (sorry if I'm a skeptic, but rather be safe than really sorry!) The notorious Windows Registry is an expansive and important place on a system. Should I trust this program? Thanks. 

FSX was discontinued by Microsoft (and the license was sold to Dovetail

Just to be clear, Dovetail has the license to distribute FSX but does not have the rights to the FSX code.  So now they are distributing it via Steam.  Just wanted to make it clear as rumors get spread.

Bert has the best solution.  I recommended it in the Windows 7 or 8 forum a couple of years ago and the registry fixer fixed the problem.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Just to be clear, Dovetail has the license to distribute FSX but does not have the rights to the FSX code.

That's actually not quite true. The agreement prevents them making changes to substance or content, but they do have the code and recompiled it using the more sophisticated compilers available today (compared to 12 years ago), with optimisations more suited to today's hardware.

They have also corrected several bugs, including the infamous G3D one which I had to patch via FSUIPC for FSX-MS (and even P3Dv1), and improved the freeing up of VAS by discarding scenery and texture no longer needed.

All in all some very worthwhile changes which on my system has resulted in a much more stable and better performing installation. The OP states he doesn't want to consider FSX-SE at all, but doesn't say why, and I think it's a mistake on his part.

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

Note: NO, I do not want to purchase FSX: Steam Edition.

...There isn't really a way to get FSX:Gold Edition any more, and I really, really am avoiding FSX:SE.

Joe, why? I currently have FSX Gold installed but when I upgrade my system later in the year I'll definitely be installing FSX:SE. All of the initial problems with compatibility seem to have been overcome and a number of improvements have been incorporated. You can buy it much cheaper than the boxed version was when it was generally available and if you wait for a Steam sale you could pick it up for a real bargain-basement price. No disks to lose and you'll avoid any of the potential difficulties of registering the boxed version. Plus, your current problems would be solved at a stroke (or a download)!

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

FSX and FSX:SE can not co-exist in a multiplayer environmemnt. In 'fixing' multiplayer, DoveTail broke the 'Direct Connect' feature of FSX, which works

just fine but apparently they want peopleo only use their MP servers and the

old gamespy connect approach.

Anyone that uses other servers such as DigitalThemePark can only do so

with a genuine FSX install. FSX:SE won't hack it.

Dovetail also apparently changed the sim connect code with respect to

multiplayer thus making it incompatible with FSX, thus the problem that the

two 'versions' of FSX...real FSX and FSX:SE can not co-exist online.

For me that makes FSX:SE unusable so I'll stay with FSX although I have

SE also installed under a 2nd user account but haven't launched it since 2

days after installing it.

Paul

Wide-5.jpg

+Gypsy Baron 

With a friend, we were able to connect FSX and FSX:SE via VATSIM network and the vPilot client. It generally worked quite well (with limitations). But that was the only logical way to connect them (that worked). 

+vortex681

First off, I really want to clarify my praise for Dovetail if fixing many problems with FSX. My avoidance of FSX:SE is not personal towards Dovetail... it has to do more with Steam. Let me reiterate... I don't have a problem with Dovetail's FSX release  :smile: . I'd rather not explain the reasons of why I'm avoiding FSX:SE, though. 

That aside, my question was pretty much answered. I'm going to try the Registry fixer program as recommended and then report back here with the results. Thanks, though. 

Okay, here's where we're at right now:

I ensured the ProgramData files were there and correct (checked).

I imported the Registry path via regedit from my old PC to the new one (JUST the "HKEY_CURRENT_USER>Software>Microsoft>Microsoft Games>Flight Simulator>10.0>Launch" path) (checked)

Then I used the Flight1 registry fixer. Here's the thing, though. It says it added the location of the fsx.exe to the path "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SOFTWARE>Microsoft>Microsoft Games>Flight Simulator>10.0>Launch>SetupPath", but this registry path does not exist! The path stops existing once you enter the respective "Microsoft" folder in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE", where the "Microsoft Games" folder does not appear. Is there a way to redirect the fixer to the other (first mentioned) folder path? (doesn't sound so automatic anymore :wink:!). Otherwise, I'm still getting the good old 8-c0000006 error.

Suggestions? Answer? Thanks.

- Joe.

You're basically trying to rebuild a shattered vase by guessing what the pieces look like...

Just let it go man, it's only $5 when on sale...

My replying may cause this thread to be locked... but anyway, it seems appropriate to update, short and sweet. 

I went ahead and purchased FSX:SE. It works fine. 

GFWL came to life again on my computer some time a few days ago (maybe on Sunday). FSX didn't show up, but MS Flight and all my DLC showed up, so I downloaded that. 

Thanks for the help, people. It was an interesting process! 

Joe.