Sign in to follow this  
GSalden

DTG : Fs 64 bit this year - How will LM react ?

Here's an official technical paper from Microsoft that is discussed in from time to time on FSDeveloper.com:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/7/8/17808bed-9b1e-4542-90a6-4c1d8af27fae/Aircraft_Sim_Tech_Zyskowski.pdf

It's interesting to read if for nothing more than to realize that there is computer simulation and then there is computer flight simulation. It's not enough to just under the programming aspects, but it's also critical to understand the science and engineering of the systems that are being simulated.

Just from my experience in the IT sector:

Porting an app from 32 to 64bit is not rocket science...

Agreed. The speculation and rumors didn't interest me at all but now some more official news comes available, I am getting seriously interested. But seeing is believing because a lot of what Steve from Dovetail is saying is 'we plan', 'we hope' and 'we want'. 

Agreed. But their intentions are good! I also liked the statement they've actually worked with former members of the Aces team.

Then again, we don't know what P3D may contain at the end of the year. Exciting times :)

Jeroen, once again you speak far too much sense! ;)

From what I recall, 64-bit is on LM's radar. And that's all it needs to be, no reaction is needed from LM as the core market is totally different. My personal view is that a small company like DTG will never be able to compete with a multi-billion dollar defense contractor, even if only a fraction of its resources are used on P3D. Oh and they've had the code for *considerably* longer.

As you say the market is totally different. And we have no clue how much of their big budget goes to development of Prepar3D. Although DTG may be a lot smaller I am pretty sure their upcoming full flight simulator will in the end be bigger than P3D. With ease! I believe it will become the true successor of FSX.

• Upvote 4

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

Oh and they've had the code for *considerably* longer.

And yet they needed help from Dovetail to fix the unloading of scenery :Thinking:

• Upvote 2

They have improved AI behavior, already in Flight School. They are looking at upgrading terrain data for the full flight simulator. They're considering improved ATC and sloped runways for the future. A lot of stuff to keep me very interested. The release of DFS is still far away, but if I had to make a choice now I would choose DFS over P3D.

It's been merely the Facebook chat. No promises have been made. 

Anyway, if you start with a new sim (be it DTG or P3D 64bit), we will all start from the begining in regard of most of the functional addons. 

I feel another way.

If the interfaces stay the same, most add ons will require only little rework for 64bit.

Most of the stuff is done by the IDEs, some datatypes change... That's it.

Like I say: It is NOT rocket science. I would say: It is pretty simple from the technical side. Memory allocation must be reviewed and revised if we talk about C or similar languages.

• Upvote 1

And yet they needed help from Dovetail to fix the unloading of scenery :Thinking:

News to me. Good luck to DTG but I'll believe it when I see it in terms of the features being 'looked at'.

• Upvote 1

Everyone talk about DTG Flight Simulator..Are you sure it's going to be a flight simulator not simplified  flying train?

• Upvote 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

Not to venture off topic, but I wonder how Xplane will react.

I view DTG as more of a competitor to Xplane than Prepar3d.

• Upvote 1

10850K, MSI Unify Z490, 32gb G.Skill Ripjaw 3600 CL16, MSI 5700 XT 8gb, Nochua NH-U12a, WD 500gb Black SSD (OS- Windows 10 Pro), Samsung 2tb Evo plus SSD (games), Superflower 850 watts power supply

Not to venture off topic, but I wonder how Xplane will react.

Slowly, very slowly

• Upvote 2

Have Laminar Research ever reacted to anything in the rest of the flightsim world?

• Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Porting an app from 32 to 64bit is not rocket science...

Rocket science is pretty easy: mix appropriate chemicals together in a tube, set light to one end and stand back. Used to make rockets in my schooldays!

;-)

Pete

• Upvote 6

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

With so many threads popping up about these two titles here in forum it is simply not possible for me to respond to everyone and keep track of everything.

To this end I have created this thread where you can talk to me and ask questions about the upcoming sims. 

You can find the thread here

- Martin 

There is absolutely NO reason to think we won't be able to buy add-ons for DFS the same way we do today for FSX and P3D. Like for FSX:SE there will surely be a number available also on Steam. No reason why Dovetail would change that for DFS, to do otherwise would be commercial suicide anyway. They know how the flight sim market works and will want people to switch over development to DFS.

• Upvote 1

I'm looking forward to the DTG Simulator!  Don't really care if all of my P3D add-on's don't work if its a better simulator.  Will have to wait and see....

• Upvote 1

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.