Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

How different was MS FLIGHT FDM from FSX ?

The only differences I was able to notice were:

- tuned up ground physics, with proper ( it appeared to me as such ) drag coeficients;

- effects based on systems which can interfere with flight dynamics, like oppening doors and canopies, etc...

- tuning of cross-moments of inertia, and presence of additional coeficients in at least one of the ciontainers I was able to dig into :-)

But, other than this, there were also problems inherited from FSX, like the old lean bug, the incorrect way CS props work ( very noticeable in the Maule ), ...

I wonder if Stonelance or others can give some more insight into what exactly was different from FSX, flight dynamics and systems modeling wise ?

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

It isn't my area of expertise.  I do know it was completely rewritten from scratch, but the dev was the same as FSX, so I wouldn't be surprised if some of the same bugs popped up.  It is possible he used some of that code as a base.  After he left to work for P3D, we had other devs come in and they found some bugs specific to his techniques, but don't know if they were responsible for what you are mentioning.  It was designed to be more modular and extensible so that 3rd parties could rewrite parts that they wanted to be special case for their aircraft.

Thx a LOT stonelance for the info.

The more I remember what FS11 might have been, the more I feel sad with it's fate, and then the fate of MS FLIGHT...

Let's at least hope for the Best for DTG Flight School and latter FlightSim...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...