Sign in to follow this  
DTG Martin

Ask Dovetail Games about DTG Flight School & Flight Simulator

Hi Martin,

Thanks for continuing to answer our questions!

One question from me which you probably can't answer yet, but I'll put it out there anyway..

I've pre-ordered flight school (before I knew this thread existed!) after spending the last hour reading through this thread, I didn't realise that flight school would not be getting additional DLC etc, and also I would consider myself a veteran Flight simmer having been simming since the early days of MSFS and am currently a P3D user, so my intention would be to get DTGFS once released, so my question would be, for those who have purchased flight school, would there be an upgrade path to the full DTGFS or maybe some kind of discount towards the full simulator?

Thanks in advance,

A

Hi Martin

Thank you for answering questions in this thread - I do hope this one does NOT get missed.

I am pretty sure I've read most of this thread and seen nothing about 'Autogen Popping'. I have quietly been watching this thread and hoping you would fix this old fix issue.

It is with 'PROFOUND' dissapointment I see this ugly phenomenon still exists in the DTFS simulator; I watched the new video closely.

My question is, are you guys going to do anything about it?

I sincerely hope so.

Thank you

• Upvote 1

Hi Martin,

Just thought of another question: any chance that 3d monitors will be supported (row interlaced, specifically)?

To me flying in 3d in FSX with IZ3D was an incredible and immersive experience. Sadly, IZ3D is no longer available, and the TriDef implementation leaves a bit to be desired for FSX (3d focus issues, needs tridef driver). It should be pretty easy to implement on the windows 8 and higher platforms, since there is a stereoscopic API for windows 8 and higher.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn653361%28v=vs.85%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Any chance this will see the light of day?

Hi Martin.

Some people have mentioned the sky colours are tending towards unrealistic hues, is this something you're planning to change?

At the moment it appears the brighter blues aren't dissipating into white light as they would do normally, likewise, violet is usually so weak it doesn't tend to break through the atmosphere and human vision is limited in the violet spectrum, hence, purple skies are extremely rare.

I took the liberty of modifying some of your screenshots and a couple of screen grabs from your video to adjust the colours allowing for what I mentioned above.

Modifications: Violet - 95%, Cyan - 50%, Azure -10%, Blue - 15%.

I didn't take into account time of day or weather, all images have the same settings, still, they seem to bring the sim engine into a much more natural colour space.

ps Latest images are great, can't wait to get my hands on this thing B)

Image1.jpg

Image3.jpg

Image4.jpg

Image5.jpg

Image6.jpg

• Upvote 6

Again, I've had to hide a pile of posts (and senseless bickering). This a Q/A topic, please ask questions only (Although I think everything that could be asked has been asked). To discuss something further, please start another topic. 

Martin,

to follow up the question on a Jobs Board facility, a very easy way for a whole flight jobs and economic system to be made available to your customers for free would be to facilitate FSEconomy interaction.

See http://www.fseconomy.net/ for more info.

It already supports FS9/FSX/P3D and Xplane, using either FSUIPC or Simconnect to FS9/FSX/P3D or python for Xplane.

Just needs an interface to be able to set fuel and payload on starting a flight and determine flight duration/fuel remaining on completing a flight, ideally a few more bells and whistles....

FSeconomy has been running since 2005 and has over 10,000 registered users, it can be as simple or as complex as each user requires...

And it's free :)

Any chance?

I can provide more info if needed :)

Cheers

Keith

would there be an upgrade path to the full DTGFS or maybe some kind of discount towards the full simulator?

There is nothing I can confirm at the moment, but we are always exploring new ways to reward committed and loyal players. 

- Martin 

Hi Martin

Thank you for answering questions in this thread - I do hope this one does NOT get missed.

I am pretty sure I've read most of this thread and seen nothing about 'Autogen Popping'. I have quietly been watching this thread and hoping you would fix this old fix issue.

It is with 'PROFOUND' dissapointment I see this ugly phenomenon still exists in the DTFS simulator; I watched the new video closely.

My question is, are you guys going to do anything about it?

I sincerely hope so.

Thank you

We are doing all we can to address pop-up in the sim engine. We know that there is still work to do. 

- Martin 

Just thought of another question: any chance that 3d monitors will be supported (row interlaced, specifically)?

There are currently no plans to support 3D monitors at this time. 

- Martin 

Martin,

to follow up the question on a Jobs Board facility, a very easy way for a whole flight jobs and economic system to be made available to your customers for free would be to facilitate FSEconomy interaction.

See http://www.fseconomy.net/ for more info.

It already supports FS9/FSX/P3D and Xplane, using either FSUIPC or Simconnect to FS9/FSX/P3D or python for Xplane.

Just needs an interface to be able to set fuel and payload on starting a flight and determine flight duration/fuel remaining on completing a flight, ideally a few more bells and whistles....

FSeconomy has been running since 2005 and has over 10,000 registered users, it can be as simple or as complex as each user requires...

And it's free :)

Any chance?

I can provide more info if needed :)

Cheers

Keith

This really falls outside the scope and content of DTG Flight School. There are long term plans to include some sort of economy system in DTG Flight Simulator. This is more likely to be a later update than a day on feature though. 

- Martin 

Hi,

on Twitter I found a few nice examples for Flight School material under 

https://twitter.com/dtgflightschool

This includes one on ATC stating: "The ATC operators ensure that a distance of at least 5-10 nautical miles (9-18 km) is kept between the aircraft at all times, on ground or in the air."

Could you explain how I am supposed to understand this? There is no airport I know of where it's possible to keep a distance of 5 miles between aircraft, neither on ground nor between ground and air or even in the air. 

Thanks and kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Hello Martin.

How many hours will it take for a Flight School student to obtain his license? Will there be a minimum number of obligational hours? Is there attention for that very exciting moment when you are allowed to go solo for the first time? Will there be obligational solo hours? And have you guys also included an examination flight with a virtual examinator?

Hi Martin,

Could you please shed your light on this?

Sorry, what is it you need me to shed some light on? 

- Martin 

Okay, I am just waiting on some more info from our gameplay designer first before answering. Stick with me please. 

- Martin 

I haven't forgotten. Our development team are super busy at the moment. Let me poke them for you will a stick

- Martin 

Still curious! How did the stick poking go?

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

Hi,

on Twitter I found a few nice examples for Flight School material under 

https://twitter.com/dtgflightschool

This includes one on ATC stating: "The ATC operators ensure that a distance of at least 5-10 nautical miles (9-18 km) is kept between the aircraft at all times, on ground or in the air."

Could you explain how I am supposed to understand this? There is no airport I know of where it's possible to keep a distance of 5 miles between aircraft, neither on ground nor between ground and air or even in the air. 

Thanks and kind regards, Michael

You are right, that doesn't make much sense. You will be pleased to hear that we have fired Jack, the artist that made that particular image. Sadly, his six children will now go hungry, but he has learned some valuable life lessons about how the ATC works.

Joking aside. it was a typo mistake in the text. What we meant was the airspace around the airport that the tower is responsible for. 

Sorry for any confusion. 

- Martin 

Still curious! How did the stick poking go?

I haven't forgotten about it. We are looking to cover this in more detail in a video, which is why I haven't spoken much about it here. 

There are 15 lessons in DTG Flight School based around the basics of the LAPL, PPL, and night flying. Currently, five of these are focused on the LAPL and eight are based on the PPL. There will also be Twin engine lessons when we add the Diamond DA42 update a little after release. You are required to only take the first lesson of each, these act as an introduction to explain the basics. After that you can tackle them in any order. There are also 9 missions you can do at any time and of course Free Flight mode which is unlocked from the start. 

In terms of how long these lessons last it is hard to say. If you have been flying flight sims for years you can probably zip through them in no time. If you are a newcomer, which is who we have developed Flight School for, then it is going to take you a lot longer to master all of the skills. 

At the moment we are doing lots of play testing with a variety of people. We are focused very much on balancing out the experience in the sim. This means the structure may change before final release. 

- Martin 

Joking aside. it was a typo mistake in the text. What we were meant to be talking about was the airspace around the airport that the tower is responsible for. 

- Martin 

Thanks Martin, this makes sense indeed.

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

I haven't forgotten about it. We are looking to cover this in more detail in a video, which is why I haven't spoken much about it here. 

- Martin 

Thanks Martin, forgive me my impatience. :smile:

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

Are we still looking good for an April release?

We will be confirming the final release date details this week. Keep an eye out for news about this very soon. 

- Martin 

We will be confirming the final release date details this week. Keep an eye out for news about this very soon. 

- Martin

Hello Martin. Should we expect to see any more videos or previews? Maybe some Twitch streams or "let's plays" of the sim?

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson