Sign in to follow this  
DTG Martin

Ask Dovetail Games about DTG Flight School & Flight Simulator

[OT]
You won't see anything for sure in 6 days. Nobody has performance issues on vanilla FSX or FSX-Steam Edition with vanilla scenery and planes. What people have issues with are complex addons (both planes and sceneries), and to ever reach that we'll need to wait for their Flight Simulator to be out and addons of similar complexity to be released too

[/OT]

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

Flight School is not Vanilla per se, comparing to FSX/P3D. It comes with FTX global. 

It has 3 customized airports (Made by turbulent designs). Testers are having great performance even on those airports and over big cities. 

Textures of FTX global don't really affect performance on FSX.

The 3 customized airports are small, and the planes surely are not as performance heavy per se since they don't have LCDs and advanced flight dynamics (at the level of PMDG or Aerosoft or others, i mean). So yeah, still doesn't prove a single thing. Vectors are the default ones, the sky textures are not REX's HD ones either, there is no real time weather (especially with something similar to ASN)

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

Thank you Dovetail games for presenting the community another opportunity to learn something about flight simming.  Besides, I've paid more for a hamburger and never learned anything from a hamburger except that there is such a thing as too many jalapenos.  I've made my pre-purchase and look forward to exploring on May 24th.

• Upvote 5

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.

Textures of FTX global don't really affect performance on FSX.

The 3 customized airports are small, and the planes surely are not as performance heavy per se since they don't have LCDs and advanced flight dynamics (at the level of PMDG or Aerosoft or others, i mean). So yeah, still doesn't prove a single thing. Vectors are the default ones, the sky textures are not REX's HD ones either, there is no real time weather (especially with something similar to ASN)

Well, Jordan King analysed the files, it´s far from vanilla. The aircrafts and the airports are very complex. The only thing missing is a better A.I. Traffic.

The scenery is FTX Global and FTX trees + customized things by DTG. It´s not vanilla. Everything affects performance.

It may not be as complex as a sim loaded with additional content, but even the bare-bones DTG Flight School sim we should be able to see whether DTG have improved the hardware utilisation in terms of multi-threading and GPU usage. 

• Upvote 1

Martin, I'm guessing that Flight School and Flight Sim are built from the same code base. As the Flight Sim is being developed and improved, will you be pushing out updates to Flight School if the improvements are applicable to that product as well?

Barry Friedman

Another question to Martin:

Will we get an aircraft for Flight School or Flight Sim later with all switches and buttons clickable and function?

I believe that all aircraft are fully clickable already in Flight School ?

At least from what I have observed...

Well... I was wrong :-(

From the latest video it appears the master power switches in the Piper Arrow aren't even clikable ???

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

In DTG Flight simulator:

1. Will the physics be improved. FSX has a very "jaggy" and not so fluent physics. You'll really don't feel like flying - in for example x-plane it feels more "alive" when you fly.

2. Will the weather have some actual influence on flying - in a way so for example some clouds could be dangerous to fly into - so weather planning actually have an effect and not just visual?

3. Will snow/rain look more "disturbing" - in FSX it has no effect at all on your view - in real life it really mess things up if it rains or snows alot.

And a big thanx for doing this project!

Hi.

Only one day to launch the DTG Flight School. A last minute question.

There is some version of Nvidia driver recommended by Dovetail?

It is well known by users of FSX and P3D, there are versions of drivers work better in general than others.

Any recommendations, according to the tests that have been done before the launch?

Thank you.

A brand new question, one that I don't think has been asked.

What time on the 24th will Flight School be released?

I've read midnight GMT (Approx 10 hours away) or GMT 6pm (Approx 28 hours away).

The little kid in me needs to know.

Hello

I Know that FSUIPC will not be supported in DTG Flying School or DTG Flight Simulator. However will Sim Connect be supported. I know that Sim Connect is supported in your release of FSX Steam. As this will solve a few problems that I think users are going to have with Saitek Pro Flight FIP's and Panels. I am sorry if someone has already asked this question, but i did search for the topic of Sim Connect without any success

Thanks

J M Smith

Yep it sure will be SmiffyRebel22, we are using modified version of sim connect for hardware support. 

There is a wide range of peripherals which can be used with Flight School. While we cannot guarantee everything will be compatible, we are working with various hardware companies to provide as much variety as possible. These are the systems we have tested to date and confirmed as working:

Xbox One controller, Xbox 360 controller, Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas X, Saitek X52 Pro, Saitek X52, Saitek X55, Logitech Extreme 3D, MAD CATZ Cyborg Fly 5 Joystick, Mad Catz Cyborg V.1, Saitek Pro flight Yoke system (Yoke, throttle, trim wheel)

- Martin 

Martin, I'm guessing that Flight School and Flight Sim are built from the same code base. As the Flight Sim is being developed and improved, will you be pushing out updates to Flight School if the improvements are applicable to that product as well?

It really depends on what those improvements are. In terms of optimisation or bug fixes, we will be looking to push out updates for Flight School. In terms of new features like improved weather or ATC these will not be updated as they are part of Flight Simulator. 

- Martin 

Another question to Martin:

Will we get an aircraft for Flight School or Flight Sim later with all switches and buttons clickable and function?

It really depends on the aircraft and the button function. We are are certainly working on building systems into the game engine which allow for that level of simulation. 

- Martin 

A brand new question, one that I don't think has been asked.

What time on the 24th will Flight School be released?

I've read midnight GMT (Approx 10 hours away) or GMT 6pm (Approx 28 hours away).

The little kid in me needs to know.

It is ultimately up to Steam. They need to push the magic button for us. Our current thinking is around 6pm (1800 hrs) BST. Once we have an exact time we will, of course, let you all know.

- Martin

Hi.
Only one day to launch the DTG Flight School. A last minute question.

There is some version of Nvidia driver recommended by Dovetail?

It is well known by users of FSX and P3D, there are versions of drivers work better in general than others.
Any recommendations, according to the tests that have been done before the launch?
Thank you.

We haven't focused any testing around a particular graphics card driver. Our advice is to start with whatever you are currently using and see how that goes. We haven't run into any issues using Nvidia cards so far. With the new optimisation of the core code and graphics engine hopefully this will be less of an issue. 

- Martin 

so i should have this by the time i get out of work . nice ..

Image removed as image is no longer available.