Sign in to follow this  
DTG Martin

Ask Dovetail Games about DTG Flight School & Flight Simulator

Hi martin . Have you guys consider the idea of adding more advance packages to flight school in the future ? lets say multiengine lessons or how about release aircraft with specific trainig for that aircraft ???? I think it would be posible to keep flight school alive for a long time aside from the sim just as a learning platform ....

There will be twin engine training when the free Diamond DA42 content update arrives after launch. At the moment there are no plans to further update DTG Flight School beyond this. There are a number of reasons for this. Firstly, Flight School was always designed to be a standalone experience which introduced people to flight simming, rather than a full blown flight simulator with continuing content. Secondly, we don't have the time to continue to add new aircraft to it. We are super busy developing the much big DTG Flight Sim, and certainly for the rest of the year we are full committed to that title. 

- Martin 

@DTG Martin - I've just seen the close up pictures on Facebook for the Cherokee and Super Cub. I have to say for your first foray into airplane modelling (I know your company have done some wonderful trains!) visually these are really great models both internally and externally.

I actually thought the ACES team graphically also produced top notch models but you've raised the bar for base simulation modelling. I'm hoping that this transfers to the Flight Simulation experiance and that you keep the same endevour even if that means less choice. We can always add more planes later, thanks. Keep up the wonderful work!

Thank you for the kind words. I will make sure that they get passed onto the development team. 

- Martin 

Hi Martin,

I will upgrade my video card so I would like to know if you guys are working with Amd or nVidia for optimizations? In recent games I know that working with specific hardware brands makes miracles in performance.

Also, do you have any plans for Dx12?

Thanks, looking forward.

We are not currently working with any specific hardware developers. Our goal is to offer everyone a great experience regardless of their setup. This carries over to DirectX 12, that only works on Win 10. We want to support Win 7 onwards, therefore we are using DirectX 11. 

- Martin 

thank you torium, i've already seen that. i understand those statements, maybe the question i should've asked is if those tools will be accessable through open source hardware, like arduino cards? maybe i'm wrong but it feels like those tools will be directed to specific hardware manufacturers.

best regards from Portugal

Our end aim is to have all of the functionality that is in FSUIPC built into the core sim. To be fair this is going to be an on going task. It makes sense to start with the core hardware developers and work our way out from there.

- Martin

Hi Martin, couple of questions regarding Flight School.

Is Orbx FTX Light Tweaker available for night lighting?

Within the graphic updates you're working towards, do any of them include changes to cloud colour blending?

I was looking back through all the shots you've posted and it seems the clouds colours don't always seem to fade into the distance or blend with the blue scattering effect.

Thank you.

Brent.

Hi Martin, couple of questions regarding Flight School.

Is Orbx FTX Light Tweaker available for night lighting?

Within the graphic updates you're working towards, do any of them include changes to cloud colour blending?

I was looking back through all the shots you've posted and it seems the clouds colours don't always seem to fade into the distance or blend with the blue scattering effect.

Thank you.

Brent.

Both night lighting and clouds are on our development schedule for DTG Flight Sim. There will be no changes to what we have already shown for DTG Flight School. DTG Flight Sim is, however, a much bigger project and there will be additional improvements and features in that which are not found in Flight School.

- Martin

Martin - Do you guys intend to have two color (not mostly monochrome) sunset clouds in the bigger flightsim?

I recently reinstalled XPlane and very much enjoyed the sunset clouds with their shadows and highlights and the nighttime city streets and cars and lights in XPlane are really nice.  Itd be awesome if you guys could do that.

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

thanks for the reply martin..

Image removed as image is no longer available.

Martin - Do you guys intend to have two color (not mostly monochrome) sunset clouds in the bigger flightsim?

I recently reinstalled XPlane and very much enjoyed the sunset clouds with their shadows and highlights and the nighttime city streets and cars and lights in XPlane are really nice.  Itd be awesome if you guys could do that.

I kind of covered this in the question above you sightseer. The weather, the clouds and the wider sky environment are all due to get further development in Flight Sim compared to Flight School. At the moment I can't really say much more beyond that.

- Martin

• Upvote 1

Hi Martin,

I was wondering if there are plans to fix some of the scenery modularity problems that exist today in FSX (this is actually a question for the Flight Simulator and not Flight School):

One of the biggest problems is that FSX does not observe scenery.cfg ordering during its initial scenery scan. This causes it to load stock airport identifiers and elevations, stock navaid data etc, even if there are addons installed which would like to change this data. To overcome this issue, sceneries are forced to add correction files into the global scenery folders so they will be read first. This causes pain if a scenery is disabled in the library, because the files added to global folders remain in place and active. This problem also makes it difficult or impossible to remove or replace outdated navaids, boundaries, airways etc without directly editing stock scenery files.

It would also be great if addon devs could supply their own terrain.cfg  or autogen configurations without needing to hack on the global files. Arno Gerretsen developed an autogen config merge tool that helps with that, you might want to take a look at over at scenerydesign.org. This idea is to allow sceneries to contain all the needed configs within the scenery's own folders instead of flinging files all over the place (in traditional Microsoft style, LOL).

There's plenty of other scenery grief that could be looked at such as replacing the old FS2002 ground poly method and supporting a better ways to create airport lighting.

Just wondering if your team knows about these issues and if they have plans to fix them?

In the meantime I'm looking forward to Flight School.  :smile:

• Upvote 1

Barry Friedman

NetNinja, on 06 May 2016 - 03:01 AM, said:

Hi Martin

Will Cold & Dark start on the apron be available ?

That is covered in DTG Flight School, but not in great depth.

- Martin

Hi Martin,

I was wondering if there are plans to fix some of the scenery modularity problems that exist today in FSX (this is actually a question for the Flight Simulator and not Flight School):

One of the biggest problems is that FSX does not observe scenery.cfg ordering during its initial scenery scan. This causes it to load stock airport identifiers and elevations, stock navaid data etc, even if there are addons installed which would like to change this data. To overcome this issue, sceneries are forced to add correction files into the global scenery folders so they will be read first. This causes pain if a scenery is disabled in the library, because the files added to global folders remain in place and active. This problem also makes it difficult or impossible to remove or replace outdated navaids, boundaries, airways etc without directly editing stock scenery files.

It would also be great if addon devs could supply their own terrain.cfg  or autogen configurations without needing to hack on the global files. Arno Gerretsen developed an autogen config merge tool that helps with that, you might want to take a look at over at scenerydesign.org. This idea is to allow sceneries to contain all the needed configs within the scenery's own folders instead of flinging files all over the place (in traditional Microsoft style, LOL).

There's plenty of other scenery grief that could be looked at such as replacing the old FS2002 ground poly method and supporting a better ways to create airport lighting.

Just wondering if your team knows about these issues and if they have plans to fix them?

In the meantime I'm looking forward to Flight School.  :smile:

We’re gradually updating the global scenery data, so hopefully there will be less need to update various files upon release. We will probably look at the way add-ons can override the base data so that they don’t interfere with each other, but it may be a while before we iron out all of the wrinkles. The data formats are complex, and it may take us a few goes before we find all of the problem areas.

Long story short, it is certainly an area we are looking at. 

- Martin 

• Upvote 3

Hi Martin,

which is your favorite GA plane and above all which is your favorite airliner ?   

Which is your favorite airport ?

Will SID and STARS be included in the full simulator ? 

Thx in advance

Hi Martin

Please see your PMs.

HTH

ATB
Paul

Hi Martin,

I've looked at the following video of the preview build for Flight School, and it seems an issue present in FSX involving the vector roads is still there:

It's visible throughout the latter part of the video, but a good view of the problem is at about 22:19 in. You can see a road running straight across houses/fields/small roads etc in the underlying texture. Have to say this is an incredibly jarring effect when not flying at high altitude. Is there any plan to fix this for either Flight School or the main sim product coming later this year?

Thanks.