Sign in to follow this  
GeKa

Help pick CPU cooler for i7 4790k at 4.6GHz

Hello everyone.

I have some questions for you. It is about hardware for FSX.

So, let's start. My CPU is an i7 4790k, right now at 4.1GHz with a CM Hyper 212EVO.

My video card is a GTX 970 by Asus Strix. And I have 16GB of RAM.

The question:

which is the best CPU cooler to overclock the i7 4790k at 4.6GHz ?

I saw that it is the best option and I really need it because I am loaded with addons like REX4 and many sceneries.

Btw, my case is a Cooler Master N500 which can fit a cooler with up to 162mm height.

I have read good things about the Noctua NH-D14. Is it ok for 4.6Ghz? I can afford it and my case supports it.

Thank you

Hi...

My 2700K has been running at 4.5Ghz for years on the Noctua - it was top of he heap when I was looking... Best of luck...

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Noctua NH-D15S

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

If air is your thing, the Noctua is still a good choice. If compact AIO cooler is a possibility, I got 4.8 on a 4790k (delidded) and temps around 85c max on a CM Nepton 120mm.

I have read good things about the Noctua NH-D14. Is it ok for 4.6Ghz? I can afford it and my case supports it.

Thank you

You will have read great things about the NH-D14, because it's, quite frankly, a legendary air cooler.

However...

The NH-D14 was superseded by the NH-D15 a while ago. The D15 has better RAM compatibility and slightly better cooling.

In addition, and my recommendation, is the new NH-D15S. The 15S, has even better RAM compatibility and is slightly offset, so that it's further away from the uppermost PCIe slot.

The D15S also has only one fan. A centrally mounted 150mm fan that not only cools the heat sink fantastically well, but as it overlaps the heat sink, blasts ton's of air across your motherboard for great VRM cooling. Don't be put off by only one fan. One fan compared to two only increases temperature by 2 degrees, and you can add a second fan if you so desire.

The reason one fan compared to two makes little difference in temperature is because the velocity of the air passing through the heat sink remains the same. The slight difference in temp is due to slightly better static pressure. To be honest, those running two fans on their coolers are gaining pretty much nothing except extra noise for the experience.

And yes, 4.6 GHz is well within the coolers capability.

OBTW: I replaced all my case fans with Noctua's as well - moves a large volume of air and much quieter than the stock units - OK - I'm a fan of the beige and brown...

:)

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Thanks a lot everyone! Your help is precious! I may go for the NH-D14 because it is the only Noctua Cooler my case supports.

Well, something about water cooling. Would a Cooler Master Seidon 120XL or 120M be good enough to cool an overclocked i7 4790k at 4.6GHz?

Btw, sorry I didn't write at the hardware forums.

I may go for the NH-D14 because it is the only Noctua Cooler my case supports.

I've just read elsewhere that the D14 fits but just barely.

15S dimensions below, just in case you can squeeze the S version in.

Height (without fan)

160 mm
Width (without fan)
150 mm
Depth (without fan)
135 mm
Height (with fan)
165 mm
Width (with fan)
150 mm
Depth (with fan)
135 mm
Btw, my case is a Cooler Master N500 

I believe the N500 supports a 240mm radiator at the top. In which case if you went for an all in one water cooler, you could go for the Corsair H100i v2.

Hello everyone.

I have some questions for you. It is about hardware for FSX.

So, let's start. My CPU is an i7 4790k, right now at 4.1GHz with a CM Hyper 212EVO.

My video card is a GTX 970 by Asus Strix. And I have 16GB of RAM.

The question:

which is the best CPU cooler to overclock the i7 4790k at 4.6GHz ?

I saw that it is the best option and I really need it because I am loaded with addons like REX4 and many sceneries.

Btw, my case is a Cooler Master N500 which can fit a cooler with up to 162mm height.

Thank you

I also have a 4790k   I went with the corsair H100 liquid cooling option,  I picked it as its a sealed unit with no maintenance required.    I run at 4.6ghz,  I have stress tested the cpu with it running at 100% for a few hours straight and and it easily holds the temps down.   my opinion is this is a solid choice for you to consider. 

Martin you are right. I was aware of that. The D14 barely fits the case. I would buy a 240mm liquid cooler, but I am not sure if it correctly fits the entire cooler with its two 120mm fans. Doesn't it require a special modification or something? Well, I have visited Cooler Master's website and specifically the product's case. There is a photo with the case equipped with water cooling. However, I still want to be sure before I buy anything.

Martin you are right. I was aware of that. The D14 barely fits the case. I would buy a 240mm liquid cooler, but I am not sure if it correctly fits the entire cooler with its two 120mm fans. Doesn't it require a special modification or something? Well, I have visited Cooler Master's website and specifically the product's case. There is a photo with the case equipped with water cooling. However, I still want to be sure before I buy anything.

I am selling cpu and gpu corsair water cooling units in the for sale section of avism - no cooling problems with these

Looks to me you could only use 2 fans not the 4 on the h100 - small case

But you could use the h-75 on the left side with 2 fans

Rich Sennett

Yep, don't blame you, before you pull the trigger and purchase it's best do do the research.

It would be the D15S I would advise, rather than the D14. The height of the D15S is 160mm.

The Cooler Master Seidon 240 fits of course as it's the cooler recommended by Cooler Master. It also cools the same as the D14.

I'll do some research myself this morning, re the D14/15 and the H100 and see what I can find.

Edit:

In this thread...

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1523-h100-compatibility-thread/?page=6

Probably already been covered in here somewhere, however i've used the H100 in 2 different Cases now, so i'll leave my findings here.

Coolermaster N500: Yes it fit, however had to set the fans to Pull trough the Rad, as Push meant the Fans were Resting against the Ram clips and blocking the Fan headers

I suggest you email Cooler Master and ask them directly if the H100i v2 and the NH-D15S fit in the N500.

Looks to me you could only use 2 fans not the 4 on the h100 - small case

4 makes barely any difference though from what I've read.