Sign in to follow this  
mozart

No pack ice in the Arctic Ocean? Shows water where there isn't any

I am currently doing a flight from Alert (CYLT) on the Northern end of Ellismere Island in Canada, the world's Northernmost airport, to Lonyearbyen in Spitsbergen. The route goes over the Northern tip of Greenland, the most Northern longitude I reach is 83 degrees North, and only towards the end do I descend South of 80 degrees North. I have winter season set (February), and indeed I have a Polar night with only a bit of sun peaking over the horizon very far away.

In the real world most - and usually - all of that part of the world is covered by ice. However, in FSX, the Arctic Ocean shows as water.

Very unrealistic. Is there anything that can be done about that?

Thanks

Dang that "Global Warming!"  What kind of temps on or near the ground?

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Unfortunately FSX leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to polar routes.  Lack of pack ice is just the "tip of the iceberg" of issues (sorry - couldn't resist).  :Tounge:   The squishy clouds, the flashing textures, etc etc.  All sorts of odd things - just do a quick google search of FSX and polar.  I hope DTG does a better job in this region.

Ilya

Ilya Eydis, PPL, ASEL

realistic. Is there anything that can be done about that?

Haha, maybe you have the simulator time set to the year 2040.

• Upvote 1

Well, with some vector or land class data on ice coverage* and a suitable texture (isn't there a default one for ice?), one could create a more or less simple ice "blanket" for the polar regions. The question, however, is whether SBuilderX is capable of processing amount of data that large or if one needs to use the reample tools from the SDK.

*From here, maybe?

https://nsidc.org/data/gis/data.html

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days