Sign in to follow this  
tjrush

Departure Procedure

I want to fly a DP that has altitude restrictions.  What are the proper boxes to check in RC??  I've tried all three boxes under Dep Proc in the Controller info screen and RC always gives me an altitude to fly.

Tom

Alt Restriction is with, No AltitudeRestr is without.

Do you have any procedure waypoints within 30 nm? If you have a waypoint within 30 nm then only those two options are available. If the first is outside of 30 nm then that waypoint is in the Center control region where those options are not applicable regarding altitudes - they only apply to the departure zone.

If you need flexibility investigate the NOTAMS option and once settles don't forget to notify RC that you are on course.

Thanks ronzie.  I was flying the Teterboro One departure(KTEB).  Almost all of the initial waypoints are more than 30 miles.  I'll investigate the notams option.

Using Notam at departure, does the first waypoint have to be within 30 nm?

Tom

You do not have to have the first waypoint within 30 nm.

If the first waypoint is not within 30 nm, you have all three options available:

1. vectors - RC gives you vectors and altitides

2. Departure Procedure with Altitudes - You navigate on your own through the waypoints within 30nm setting up your path to that first waypoint outside of 30 nm obeying altitudes issued by RC.

3. Departure Procedure with No Altitude Restrictions. - As 2 but RC does not monitor altitudes.

Have a look at this article I wrote some time ago that gets into various things such as syncing procedures in an aircraft terminal procedures database with a plan sent to RC but allowing for dynamic runway assignments (unknown at planning time) but for runway specific procedures. Other points as well.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/owuz7p2ohx7y7st/fsb%20tips%20and%20update.pdf?dl=0

The latest manual for rcv4.3 is at http://www.jdtllc.com/V4/RCV43.pdf for download or read on line. A search on NOTAMS will give you lots of hits. Specifically in your case go to NOTAMS for departure.

http://www.jdtllc.com/documentation.htm has other items such as the tutorials to read on-line (same as in the manual).

When I check the departure notams, alt restrictions is immediately greyed out leaving me with two choices,  no dep proc and no altitude restr.  I don't know what happens if I check no dep proc. If I check no altitude restr, which I think is what I want, clearence delivery still gives me an altitude.  Do I simply ignore it?  Am I expected to be at a particular altitude when I notify RC that I'm ready to fly as filed?

Tom

If your first waypoint is within 30 nm or you elect no altitude restrictions alt restrictions is grayed out because with NOTAMS altitude restrictions are advisory (RC will not complain) and you can deviate. RC will say if able . . .   The initial altitude is advisory in this case. I don't recall if that is where you are expected to be at once you are outside the 30 nm limit. NOTAMS is in effect for departure and Center until you advise ATC you are on course.

Check out the tutorials - just read them.