Sign in to follow this  
joemiller

I came, I saw, I have my first hickup

Don't forget that with HT off and only one core unmasked for the sim (AM=84), it's going to grind along whatever the settings. Turn off AA while making adjustments to sliders, after that, bring back AA in stages until it starts to cap fps.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Just to translate this into plain talk:  Four Core CPU,  HT off, and AM=84 makes no sense.  :nea:

HT off:   either no AM, or AM=14

Bert

Just to translate this into plain talk:  HT off and AM=84 makes no sense.  :nea:

HT off:   either no AM, or AM=14

that's with a four core

those with dual core (unless HT enabled), or 6 or more cores, do something else.

:huh: 

OMG,  This is SOLVED !

I selected  "Aero Themes 7" and oh wow, this fixed the issue. No more tearing; no more jiggles- All stable. Unbelievable, I was about to give up after trying to fix it for almost a week. (And the worst part, I completely formatted my FSX drive- gone.. Never thought I would do that.. brings me tears).

Uffff, back in business. Now time to start installing add-ons starting with OBRX regions, ASN, and REX.

Thank you very much guys- especially J van E

I hope new comers- or even- current simmers are able to find this thread. And realize what a difference  selecting of "Aero Themes 7" can make.

Steve you do a great job explaining the cores, but read so far and my head started spinning, and since I don't have any settings to adjust in my brain, I'll just do as you recommend for the Affinity Mask and test.  (Thank you)

Glad you sorted that out. Funny that most don't need to touch themes, maybe some other thing alters it in some way so it's looking bad, and then changing themes resets it.

For sure. Strange stuff; but, I'm glad it's fixed.

I guess flight simming is about tweaking- not flying. haha

P3D has to have aero on in windows 7 or it will not work correctly - didn't think of that as I have been on windows 10 for a while now  

I guess windows 10 is setup correctly for P3D as I have not had those problems but did in windows 7 until I found out I needed aero turned on - day and night when you do

By the way I shut it off thinking P3D would perform better - ooops

Rich Sennett

Wait a sec Steve -  what happened to HT on AM=116?

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

116=(01,11,01,00) this shoves the sim onto three cores, pairing up jobs 2 and 3 onto the third core LPs 4 and 5, leaving core zero free for addons that you perhaps don't want mixing their main thread with the sim cores. Maybe they call for maximum throughput every now and again, most addons go along at under 1% or 2% when the sim is running. So you could put addons onto 131=(10,00,00,11) for example, the main jobs encounter LP0 and LP1, LP7 can be used by those addons a little. Leaving those addons without affinity settings will work all but equally well even though they may spawn threads onto sim occupied cores, their main threads are almost certainly on core zero.

..and if you use 84=(01,01,01,00) the sim splits into three jobs, the first job has more to do as is more or less grouped with tasks in job 2. Allowing the split into four parts gives the main job more bandwidth, since with 116 we group job 2 with job 3, and the background threads take seconds anyway. Three core performance has been tested extensively, and 116 outperforms 84=(01,01,01,00), and 212=(11,01,01,00) for those reasons. 116 also outperforms 92=(01,01,11,00), but even 92 outperforms 84 due to the task switching improvement of HT on the second core.

That is quite the find...

I also switched to an Aero theme on my Win 7 desktop, and the jiggly scenery is gone!

This should be a sticky!

Bert

Is it permanent Bert, does it revert if you switch back?

Is it permanent Bert, does it revert if you switch back?

Yes, it is reversable.

The Windows Basic theme which I use with FSX, gives me Jello-like scenery in P3DV3.

The Aero theme gives me stable scenery, like FSX, only better, since there is no autogen popping.

Bert

Seems the transparent desktop window ability affects the way the sim works.

the AM must be one of the most debated things in flight sim history,I have always used HT on with a  4 cores i2600k processor,(no issue with temps due to very good Noctua cooler) in my time I have seen recommended AM settings of 116,244,245,248 and I think 254,255,I have read that I should not use a specific one only to see it then recommended by others,most seem to work in so much as none of them seem to have damaged any thing but is one better than the rest?,please can anyone supply the holy grail of AM  settings

peter