Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Windows 7 update head's up...

Today, I had 19 important and recommended updates.  I have continuously hidden the updates that grooms W7 for W10 installation.  It seems that even with every one being hidden in that session, Microsoft, is changing the KBxxxxxxxx update library number, to sneak it by.  Now...there are two updates that will prepare your W7 for the W10 update.  

What I found I now need to do...is click on EACH update library number so as to see on the M.S. site what the update places/addresses on your system, if downloaded.  

Just a warning, that you now need to parse each update, before you allow it to download and install, unless you don't wish to keep your W7 integrity.

Once I got everything working great sometime ago, I stopped updating my Win 7 OS. Sorry but I don't trust Microsoft either. My system now is frozen in time, and will probably stay that way for the foreseeable future.

Once I got everything working great sometime ago, I stopped updating my Win 7 OS. Sorry but I don't trust Microsoft either. My system now is frozen in time, and will probably stay that way for the foreseeable future.

Exactly. My feeling is that if everything is working fine, any change is bad.

For a few months after 10 was released I took the time each week to learn about each new update, but now there are so many I don't bother with any of them... except the Security Updates.  I study each of them, then (almost always) install the Security Updates.

Greg

. Sorry but I don't trust Microsoft

OMG, you dont trust Microsoft.... You using their operating system & how many programs that originate from them??? :LMAO:

What about Google? All Gmails, info from ALL browsers, Facebook etc. Android, mapping,the list goes on.....

• Upvote 2

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

OMG, you dont trust Microsoft.... You using their operating system & how many programs that originate from them??? :LMAO:

What about Google? All Gmails, info from ALL browsers, Facebook etc. Android, mapping,the list goes on.....

Exactly. They are in business to make money, as it should be. Best to remember that.

I've had excellent results using the free GWX Control Panel to monitor and prevent the WIN 10 update files and other related claptrap off my computer.  It has good reviews on multiple sites. Check it out.

Not a sensible choice I'm afraid. You need the security updates and if you don't install them and subsequently get attacked or infiltrated in some way you only have yourself to blame.

The only ones that need to be checked are the Windows Updates of which there only a few. I block the 2 or 3 that are W10 adverts and it takes very little time each month or two to do it.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Not a sensible choice I'm afraid. You need the security updates and if you don't install them and subsequently get attacked or infiltrated in some way you only have yourself to blame.

The only ones that need to be checked are the Windows Updates of which there only a few. I block the 2 or 3 that are W10 adverts and it takes very little time each month or two to do it.

Actually, it depends on the use of the computer. My Win 7 machines are connected to the internet about 3 minutes a day max when I download the ASN weather. Other than that they are offline. My original Win 7 security is adequate for that exposure. So I never have and never will allow windows updates to be downloaded, much less installed. My FSX runs perfectly on either machine. I do nothing else with them.

Cheers

My rig that I have online is well protected, but my flysim box only goes online to download weather, and P3D is the only thing I have on it, but yes you're right there is a chance it could get hacked.

Cheers

Martin

Actually, it depends on the use of the computer. My Win 7 machines are connected to the internet about 3 minutes a day max when I download the ASN weather. Other than that they are offline. My original Win 7 security is adequate for that exposure. So I never have and never will allow windows updates to be downloaded, much less installed. My FSX runs perfectly on either machine. I do nothing else with them.

Cheers

I have a dedicated FSX PC that I rarely use to browse the internet but it's part of my home network so disconnecting it from the internet would cause network problems.

But all you have to do is browse the list of updates and select the ones that will keep your PC protected and 'hide' any you don't want. It's your choice but it's akin to throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

You also have to allow 3rd party software access to the internet for verification purposes so it's not just for ASN.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

What's the problem if you refuse to upgrade to Windows 10? I don't understand this "grooming Windows 7 for Windows 10" issue. What does that mean? :huh:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

What's the problem if you refuse to upgrade to Windows 10? I don't understand this "grooming Windows 7 for Windows 10" issue. What does that mean? :huh:

It means, that if you allow those two KB's to install, now, in the background, there will be two new folders, in your root, that will be GB's of temp W10 install files, that will sit on your system, even if you do not intend to ever fully install W10.  That is the 'system grooming'...having most of the files ALREADY downloaded onto your system, and done without your knowledge or consent for storage of same.  M.S. is starting to act, in a most Draconian manner, as far as I am concerned. Ram-It-Down-Your-Throat mentality....

Google root folders for Temp Windows 10 install files.  You will see where they are, what they are named, and how you can delete them and all their ballast content. 

One of my main concerns about the move to 10 was having a valid product key. From what I have now read Microsoft will allow a 7 or 8 key to be used to register 10. This is important for a clean install.

I think it 80/20 likely I will switch to 10 by July but I'll tread warily. I have 2 desktop PCs and a laptop. I'll probably test 10 on the second desktop (it doesn't have FSX installed) and if that goes successfully then the others will probably follow.

The alternative is to wait 4 years until the end of support for 7 and then have to buy 3 licences assuming I still have those machines in 4 years. That will be an ongoing cost as it's possible 10 will be a subscription OS by then and not a one-off payment. Hard to call that one.

Has anyone installed 10 directly from a downloadable file rather than go through this process of letting 7 download the files in the background? Is it better to do a clean install or are you forced to go through the update path first?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Ray,

Maybe it was me - but I had all kinds of security - running various programs - issues with the "upgrade" path... After a couple months - decided it was time for a complete wipe new install - works better now... One frustration for me is I still enjoy FS9 as well as P3D - and many of my old Flight1 products will not install because the Flight1 Wrapper doesn't work... Flight1 is aware and have reported they are updating them but progress is extremely slow...

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7