Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Windows 7 update head's up...

I've installed a few times by using the down-loaded 'MediaCreation Tool' .

My 2x laptops were Windows 7 on my i5 & Windows 8.1 on my newer (work) laptop, & i really battled with the normal auto upgrade. Using the MediaCreation Tool on both laptops went seamlessly. Everything worked, my previously 8.1 laptop needed it's graphic drivers updated, & the i5's web cam could not find drivers. Not surprising, as it has a generic webcam, & the last drivers were updated in 2005! So, I'm not hssled about that at all.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Has anyone installed 10 directly from a downloadable file rather than go through this process of letting 7 download the files in the background? Is it better to do a clean install or are you forced to go through the update path first?

Hi Ray

I had issues with trying to Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from my Windows 7 Pro as it would not for some obscure reason let me upgrade. But as I had just fitted a new larger SSD drive, I went for the option of a 'Clean Install' from a downloadable exe file, and everything went flawlessly from there onwards. But I have taken control of how Windows 10 runs, specially as far as the 'phone-home-ET' privacy and data collection issues with Windows 10 that has irked many.

Hi Scott,

That's why I would leave my FSX PC until the others have been done. The longer I leave it the greater the chance that these problems will be fixed.

I admit to avoiding Flight1 because of their policy of installing software. I find it extremely frustrating to keep having to prove I am a registered owner. A simple email address and product key used by Aerosoft and SimMarkets is much better. But I digress.

Hi Ray

I had issues with trying to Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from my Windows 7 Pro as it would not for some obscure reason let me upgrade. But as I had just fitted a new larger SSD drive, I went for the option of a 'Clean Install' from a downloadable exe file, and everything went flawlessly from there onwards. But I have taken control of how Windows 10 runs, specially as far as the 'phone-home-ET' privacy and data collection issues with Windows 10 that has irked many.

Hi Rick,

That would irritate me. Sounds like a clean install is the better option but I suppose the upgrade option (when it works) gives you the opportunity to roll-back should you decide you didn't want to keep it. I believe you have to choose the Custom Install and not Easy one so you can control all the invasive elements.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Ray

Yes, it allows you to roll back. During the installation process, it creates a folder called Windows.old, which is your previous OS.

So far, I've not had issues with it in FSX-SE except for maybe one or two airport add-ons. But the main thing is to control its data collection for advertising purposes, akin to riding the 'Big Wave' but being in control. CA mag(WHS,etc) ran a very good feature in how to manage it.

Hi Rick,

Roll-back with clean install is useful, thanks.

I hope to God I'm not going to see tailored adverts popping up. Or any adverts come to that.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

My rig that I have online is well protected, but my flysim box only goes online to download weather, and P3D is the only thing I have on it, but yes you're right there is a chance it could get hacked.

Cheers

Martin

Been doing exactly what you say for 10 years with XP and 7. Never had a security problem.

I have to chime in here.   For the folks considering 10.  I personally do a clean 7 install, then upgrade to 10 for free as I own a few 7 keys.  After the install I clean out system files using the disk clean up utility that will up the window.old files.  As for the security concerns of windows 10, a quick google can instruct on how to shut it all down.  And you can shut it ALL down.  

I find 10 runs way better than 7 for day to day use.  It seems lighter and faster to me.   Most of everything I have sim related can be installed.  My many aircraft, GTN software, orbx, all run Great!!  And hiccups I have are typically solved quickly here with the help of the great folks on Avsim.  

I love 10, I won't go back an couldn't imagine a good reason for staying with 7, aside from the standard re-install woes which I completely understand.   

The best reason for staying with Windows 7 is that it works just fine. Why mess with a working system?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

The best reason for staying with Windows 7 is that it works just fine. Why mess with a working system?

Long-term planning I think. Support for 7 ends in 2020 when wise people will have to switch to 10. That will cost an unknown amount. You might even have to subscribe rather than pay a one-off amount for a valid licence.

My rig that I have online is well protected, but my flysim box only goes online to download weather, and P3D is the only thing I have on it, but yes you're right there is a chance it could get hacked.

Cheers

Martin

So you don't subscribe to Navigraph or install commercial software that requires the product key be validated?

You seem overly wary of being connected to the internet. Why? If you connect through a router the firewall in that is sufficient to protect you from all but professional hackers.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

There are many different aspects to this hobby and that is exactly why it is such a great hobby.Some people like to develop software, some people like to tweak the sim and addons, some like to fly the sim, and probably many more aspects. It is great. For myself, if I never buy another aircraft or download another scenery, I could continue until I'm too old to see the VC with just what we have now. Today I had two neighbors over to see my setup. One of them knows something about software and she was simply astounded at what we have. She sat and watched me fly the approach into KHXD with lots of A/I traffic, lots of ATC, and beautiful scenery. Maybe sometimes we forget what a wonderful hobby we have.

Yes, I do use a few commercial planes and scenery that when first installed need a product to be validated, but on my sim rig I also don't use virus software, so I want to keep my exposure to the internet at a minimum. Everything gets downloaded, like I mentioned on my other PC that I use on the net all the time and has virus software, firewall etc., and I keep it updated and I then transfer any download over on a thumb drive to my sim rig. 

But everything seems to work and install so much better on my sim rig once I removed the virus software, and I don't see a need to change that right now. When my sim is running, only my live feed to weather updates is being used. Obviously if that changes I'll have to reevaluate.  My virus software running in the background did some odd things and is just another process running that I think I can do with out for now. Although I would not recommend that to others that use their sim rig for both a lot of internet browsing and simming! :wink:

Martin,

I also removed anti-virus software from my FSX PC as I rarely browse the web on it and when I do I go only to trusted sites like here, SimMarkets, Aerosoft etc.

But the computer does remain connected to the internet so ASN can update the weather every 15 minutes. Not to do that would negate some of the realism of live weather.

Have you not considered networking your PCs so you can take advantage of running FS software on a separate PC thereby freeing up resources for FS? Even moving map software would be a huge advantage on a WideFS PC.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Martin,

I also removed anti-virus software from my FSX PC as I rarely browse the web on it and when I do I go only to trusted sites like here, SimMarkets, Aerosoft etc.

But the computer does remain connected to the internet so ASN can update the weather every 15 minutes. Not to do that would negate some of the realism of live weather.

Have you not considered networking your PCs so you can take advantage of running FS software on a separate PC thereby freeing up resources for FS? Even moving map software would be a huge advantage on a WideFS PC.

Yes, in regards to networking, but my two PC are in different rooms, so having a moving map or other sim software would require me to run back and forth  :smile:

I'll rethink everything next time I upgrade my box.

Never mind them being in separate rooms. Just think of it as a fitness regime. Every time you fly you get your daily dose of exercise! :lol:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather