Sign in to follow this  
Overload

Cleaning shaders - should I be doing it?

Something I've never done in FSX or P3D, just in case I mess up - But is it important every now and again?

Eugene

I usually remove the shaders folder when I've installed a new version of my display driver, but that's it.

^^^^ This

MSFS & XP11 - Aviatek G1000 Complex Desktop Trainer - Fulcrum One Yoke - TPR Rudder Pedals - VF TQ6 Throttle - LG 55" OLED Display

I do it when I change sceneries, display drivers or driver settings. Only one mouse click with "Simstarter".

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

I use the Prepar3D recommended method:

Tuning Guide

[GRAPHICS]

SHADER_CACHE_VERSION=1

Non-Default entry. This entry will not exist in your Prepar3D.cfg file by default and must be added to the file.
Performance Tuning Tip:
Using this rebuilds your shader cache by incrementing the number each time you make a change to the Prepar3D.cfg.

Cheers

The shader cache version work fine only if you make a change to the cfg file. It does not do anything if you do not change the file.

Other than the time it takes to rebuild the shaders, there is no harm in deleting them. Anytime I make any sort of change in P3D, I delete the shaders. Add aircraft, scenery, any graphics driver settings,. NVI changes, etc.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

The shaders only need rebuilding after any shader code has changed. So we make a change in the shader code and we delete the shaders and they are remade from the new code when the sim next runs and finds they are missing. The cfg setting saves shader coders the hassle of deleting the shader folder each visit.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Interesting, Thanks.

It's a new P3D 3.1 install, so far I've added FTX Global, SoCal and England, and a couple of Capt Sim retro jets - sounds like I should be re spawning the shaders?

The cfg mod looks like the easiest/safest way for a non techy,

"[GRAPHICS]

SHADER_CACHE_VERSION=1

It needs another cfg mod to get it to kick in, but if I did something innocuous like changing VSYNC=1 to VSYNC=0, or vice versa, would that do the trick?

Just to complete my understanding - is this to make it look better, or increase FPS or both?

Thanks

Eugene 

None of. It's for when code in the folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\ShadersHLSL" is changed.

The shaders only need rebuilding after any shader code has changed. So we make a change in the shader code and we delete the shaders and they are remade from the new code when the sim next runs and finds they are missing. The cfg setting saves shader coders the hassle of deleting the shader folder each visit.

Not discussing the "when" but the "how"

You can create a bat file this way (replace YOURNAMEHERE with your username)

Placed anywhere, it will delete the content of your shader folder in one click.

del /f /q "C:\Users\YOURNAMEHERE\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\Shaders\*.*"

None of. It's for when code in the folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\ShadersHLSL" is changed.

OK,Thanks - How would I know this has happened?

Eugene

I also have set up a batch file which deletes the shaders folder and also starts ASN and P3D, all in a row. The batch file itself is started by the simstarter tool, just had to point to it in simstarter's "start definition". So one cklick does it all. And so my shaders folder gets deleted everytime i start the sim.

Simon

Everytime...? Seriously? Isn't that a bit too much? Those shaders are saved for a reason, why would you delete them everytime?! I only delete them whenever I installed new scenery or (totally) change my settings. Doing this everytime is a bit counterproductive. I personally don't want to wait every single time for that black screen to disappear. It also hurts performance in the beginning. Certainly not something I would advice everyone to do.

OK,Thanks - How would I know this has happened?

Eugene

When you get an update from 3.1 to 3.2 look in the files in the .zip, if there are any for \ShadersHLSL, then they changed and you need to delete the old shaders.

Those aren't the same shaders Steve. The ones the OP asked about are in:

C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\Shaders

The shadersHLSL are not rebuilt using the shader_cache_version.

The shadersHLSL should NOT be touched unless one really knows what they are doing.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors