Sign in to follow this  
z06z33

CLS DC-10v2 for Existing Owners

I just purchased it (and have their original DC10) and there is indeed a considerable improvement in the graphics from the original version. Still not top of the line but for those that really want a DC-10 in their hangar, as I do, then it is certainly a step up. As for the important stuff... I am just starting to look at it but I am keeping in mind that this is marketed and sold as an F-Lite product and I purchased it for $20. There have certainly been additions and changes and now we will see how these stand up.

I'm quite happy. Loved the FS9 version so it's great to have it in P3D now! Visually is a big improvement.

Unfortunately/strangely it is rather a big VAS eater, hmm. I hope that get's sorted out in a coming update.

I went over to the HJG website to get the fantastic soundpacks they have there for the 10. Proper FSX sound-cones and the three engine types (CF6-6, CF6-50 and JT9D) are available. Happy days!

All we need now is a few good United paints ;)

Jesse Casserly 👌🏼

Add me as a friend to go fly on MSFS: JesseC757

https://www.youtube.com/user/JesseCasserly757

💻 i7-10750H 2.6 GHz / 5.0 GHz, 16GB DDR4, 512GB SSD, 1TB HDD, RTX 2080 Super

Saitek X-56 HOTAS

Video up yet?

Yep sorry that it took so long I was having an issue where my sim was running 60fps in windowed mode but only 8-10fps in full screen so I had to rebuild my .Cfg with all my tweaks.(Not the DC-10s fault) As stated before this plane uses a huge amount of VAS about 1.2GB in the VC this is compared to 700mb for the PMDG 777 so if you are getting OOMS in that plane beware! I was sitting at about 3.4gb of VAS on the runway with this on a clear day and with 20% traffic if it was cloudy I would have OOM'd.

The review itself.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Thanks David for the mini review. I don't think I am going to get it due to the VAS problems a few here are experimenting . What are the VC texture sizes and are they mipmapped?

Great video, thanks. It is a problem using so much VAS though.

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

Thanks David for the mini review. I don't think I am going to get it due to the VAS problems a few here are experimenting . What are the VC texture sizes and are they mipmapped?

According to the sales page they are 2048.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Thanks for the review, David.

I was tempted to buy it, but your remark about the VAS made the descision for me.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

I was tempted to buy it, but your remark about the VAS made the descision for me.

Yea if they can get that issue fixed it really would be a decent plane.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

I was surprised to see this announced out of no where. However I reckon I will save the money for a future aircraft based on what I have seen so far. And I have been dying to get my hands on a nice 3 hole tubeliner. It seems all of the previous projects, that were great, have been left to rot. Thanks PMDG/A2A/RA for setting the bar so high. :)

Matt Bernard
20+ Years Commercial/GA A&P/PLST

It's sad that CLS HD remakes still have VAS issues. The constant OOMs in the 747-200 HD version rendered the bird unflyable for me. How on earth have they still not fixed it for the DC-10 HD!? I REALLY hope they release a fix, and soon. The VC and exterior models look awesome though.

I was able to improve VAS usage in FSXSE by lowering my scenery settings to normal. P3D, however, seems impossible at this time no matter what I do. For $20 it's OK as I love the DC-10...but WOW I cannot grasp how/why it was released for P3D.

Thanks for the review David!

i7-9700K, MSI Z370, PNY 4070 Super, GTX 750Ti, 32GB GSkill, 43" curved Samsung, 32" BenQ, 11" LED, RealSImGear GTN750, Win10,

P3DV5.4/P3DV6 and MSFS, several GoFlight modules, Saitek radio, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Virtual Fly TQ6.

Here's a tiny detail I noticed that I thought was cool, and I've never noticed in another add-on. At low thrust settings, say below 40%-ish, the spinner cone in the engine has a different texture that at higher power settings. Small detail, but cool ;)

Low power:

2015-7-31_22-54-19-660_zpsjh4qppbp.png

High power:

2015-7-31_22-54-30-803_zpsybd6bpfu.png

Jesse Casserly 👌🏼

Add me as a friend to go fly on MSFS: JesseC757

https://www.youtube.com/user/JesseCasserly757

💻 i7-10750H 2.6 GHz / 5.0 GHz, 16GB DDR4, 512GB SSD, 1TB HDD, RTX 2080 Super

Saitek X-56 HOTAS

I doubt it. High VAS usage is mostly a result of...unfortunate design decisions. They'd have to do a v3 to fix it. Or turn it into an entirely new product.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

I doubt it. High VAS usage is mostly a result of...unfortunate design decisions. They'd have to do a v3 to fix it. Or turn it into an entirely new product.

I wonder if we can delete some unseen textures. I know somone did that with the old CS 777 to save am VAS and FPS

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.