Sign in to follow this  
CathayA340

Prepar3D Running but no Splashcreen

I've had this problem. I spent too much time trying to isolate the problem.

Here's what I would do if it happened again:

Find both sets of EXE.XML and DLL.XML files and rename or delete them (all 4). These live in 2 different places, making a total of 4 files.

Find the P3D.CFG file and rename or delete that.

Now, P3D will start with default settings and no bogus DLL or other add-on to make problems.

It may also be worth it to delete the .WX and previous flight files (as mentioned above.)

In my case, it was a version of FSUIPC that would get into a state where it wouldn't let things continue. Pete has long since fixed this issue.

My mistake was trying to remove an item from the EXE/DLL files one at a time and see if I could find which one was causing the problem; way too time consuming.

There's also a sub forum dedicated to fixing both FSX and P3D crashes. Always a good place to start.

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

49 minutes ago, RichieFly said:

There's also a sub forum dedicated to fixing both FSX and P3D crashes. Always a good place to start.

Richard,

This thread is not about CRASHING FSX or P3D, it is about P3D starting, but not getting to the scenario screen.

Steven Miller

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

2 minutes ago, somiller said:

Richard,

This thread is not about CRASHING FSX or P3D, it is about P3D starting, but not getting to the scenario screen.

Steven Miller

Just trying to help.

This is crashing, if your definition of crashing is for a program to stop running unexpectedly.

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

11 minutes ago, RichieFly said:

Just trying to help.

This is crashing, if your definition of crashing is for a program to stop running unexpectedly.

Richard,

I think a re-read of the original post is in order for you. From the original post: "After a minute or so, the splashscreen completely disappears, but in task manager, the program is still running."

Nothing has stopped running unexpectedly. Your input is appreciated, but please understand the problem...it is NOT a program crash or unexpected program stop. As far as Windows is concerned, the program is running and nothing has triggered a Windows, or any other error of any kind.

Steven Miller

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

There was an issue with FSUIPC, but this is fixed.

However I had twice again the last weeks. Simple solution is to reinstall FSUIPC.

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

14 hours ago, somiller said:

Richard,

I think a re-read of the original post is in order for you. From the original post: "After a minute or so, the splashscreen completely disappears, but in task manager, the program is still running."

Nothing has stopped running unexpectedly. Your input is appreciated, but please understand the problem...it is NOT a program crash or unexpected program stop. As far as Windows is concerned, the program is running and nothing has triggered a Windows, or any other error of any kind.

Steven Miller

Steven - it is very common for a program to crash yet have the process not terminate and remain running in task manager with no events documented. I have also seen many instances of P3D crashing with a visible error message and the process remains in task manager. Do not use that as a criteria for debugging your problem. The steps outlined by Richard are valid in this situation also, as is a possible reinstall of the P3D client. If you are stuck on semantics, don't call it a crash (which it is), just call it a problem.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

7 hours ago, vgbaron said:

Steven - it is very common for a program to crash yet have the process not terminate and remain running in task manager with no events documented. I have also seen many instances of P3D crashing with a visible error message and the process remains in task manager. Do not use that as a criteria for debugging your problem. The steps outlined by Richard are valid in this situation also, as is a possible reinstall of the P3D client. If you are stuck on semantics, don't call it a crash (which it is), just call it a problem.

Vic

Vic,

I indeed may be arguing semantics, if a terminated process can actively use substantial cpu and memory resources indefinitely - do terminated processes do that?

I believe it's important to delineate between a program that starts, crashes, generates an error log, and is not actively using resources, from a program that starts, is still running and actively using resources, and generates no error log. If for no other reason, it is important to note the distinction because I have encountered BOTH cases, and in my experience the causes are different. Anyone who has spent much time with FSX or P3D has probably experienced baffling symptoms at one time or another, and it's not uncommon for seemingly identical causes/symptoms to in fact require completely unrelated fixes. I, therefore, believe it's important to make problem distinctions as granular as possible. I'm not trying to pick on anyone, or find fault, or argue semantics...I believe there is a meaningful distinction in this case.

Steven Miller

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1