Sign in to follow this  
DannyUK

New to flight sim

Hi, new member here and wanted some advice if you could. I'm new to flight sim, I did play years ago when Microsoft Flight Sim 2004 was out but I didn't really dive into it that much. I've just ordered the thrustmaster joystick with throttle and planning on buying x plane 10 also but wanted to know how hard it is to pick the knowledge up of flying? My goal is to fly the commercial airliners but that's probably way off as I don't have the knowledge of flying much so probably best to stick to light aircrafts for now, would you agree? When I hear people talk about different things and numbers it is so confusing, is it easy to pick all this jargon up? I struggle to understand the pre flight checklist nevermind flying so it's probably going to take me sometime to achieve it. What would you suggest to someone starting off like me? I would appreciate your input.

Thanks

Danny 

Welcome - as I dont use X-Plane someone who does will be able to help you with your questions - plenty of users here are willing to help out

Rich Sennett

Welcome! Since you're new and getting X-Plane 10, I recommend getting the Airfoillabs C172. It's got almost every feature you could want from a beginner aircraft, minus flying the real thing. Even simulates a walk-around of the aircraft, and has all the checklists. I do recommend using flight simulators before you start actual flight training, because you get the basic grasp on how everything operates before going out flying an actual aircraft. But, when it comes to the handling and operation of the aircraft in the sim, its just not the same at all compared to the real thing. You don't get the feeling of movement and what-not obviously. It's definitely helpful with instrument work, however. I use it quite often just to brush up on my instrument skills. As far as the pilot lingo and jargon, you pick that up over time. At first it seems like its going to be a rush, but you get used to it! Good luck!

-Chris Crawford

-ATP/MEL

- B737 / B777 / B-727 / EMB-145 / LR-JET

Welcome back Danny. I don't know if X Plane has flying lessons in it but if you still have Flight Simulator 2004 it has a great series of flying lessons that would probably get you up to speed as quickly as any other method.

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

Welcome! Since you're new and getting X-Plane 10, I recommend getting the Airfoillabs C172. It's got almost every feature you could want from a beginner aircraft, minus flying the real thing. Even simulates a walk-around of the aircraft, and has all the checklists. I do recommend using flight simulators before you start actual flight training, because you get the basic grasp on how everything operates before going out flying an actual aircraft. But, when it comes to the handling and operation of the aircraft in the sim, its just not the same at all compared to the real thing. You don't get the feeling of movement and what-not obviously. It's definitely helpful with instrument work, however. I use it quite often just to brush up on my instrument skills. As far as the pilot lingo and jargon, you pick that up over time. At first it seems like its going to be a rush, but you get used to it! Good luck!

I will try out the Airfoillabs C172 as soon as I get X plane 10. I can understand it won't be the same as real flying as we can't get a feel for how the plane is moving but I suppose it is the closest you will get to real flying. I've noticed other mods you can use in game which can only enhance this and give it more realism and make it more fun to use. I'm sure I will pick it up in time, it just seems so daunting hearing all of the lingo and not knowing what most of it means. Thanks for  your reply.

Welcome back Danny. I don't know if X Plane has flying lessons in it but if you still have Flight Simulator 2004 it has a great series of flying lessons that would probably get you up to speed as quickly as any other method.

Ted

I'm not sure if X plane comes with flying lessons, I think it does but I'm not certain. There maybe mods to take lessons in game but I'm not sure on that yet either but I will look at using Flight Simulator 2004 again if I can't find lessons for X Plane. Thanks for your reply.