Sign in to follow this  
Kalamalka

how do you open and edit the fsx cfg file?

I have found the graphics section of the fsx cfg file, (in notebook) but cannot edit to add highmemfix=1. There doesn"t appear to be an option to insert any additional line or to edit existing information. Probably an easy explanation, but I have been unsucessful so far. Any suggestions, as I need to add the line to stabilize FSX graphics.

Thanks

With explorer navigate to: "C:\Users\[you]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX"

Right-click on fsx.cfg (you may need to check "file name extensions" in explorer view tab, to see the .cfg part) and in the popup menu choose Open with Notepad.exe.

in the graphics section

[GRAPHICS]

add the line

HIGHMEMFIX=1

also you can add (with original FSX Boxed edition) a bufferpools section, this doesn't exist normally in a .cfg like HIGHMEMFIX:

[bufferpools]

UsePools=1

Poolsize=2000

What processor do you have, and is HT enabled?

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

With your four core CPU, if HT is enabled (there will be 8 logical processors showing in Task Manager) to the cfg add:

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=85

an alternative if you have a heavy list of exe addons:

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=116

if you've *not* enabled HT (4 logical processors showing), ignore the JOBSCHEDULER section completely. Or with a heavy addon load, use 14.

I think I read somewhere that HT wasn't necessary with running FSX.  I have an i7-3770 @ 3.4GHz and have HT turned off.  Would I benefit by enabling HT?

Thanks.

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

James M Driskell, Maj USMC (Ret)

Guest JustanotherPilot

I think I read somewhere that HT wasn't necessary with running FSX.  I have an i7-3770 @ 3.4GHz and have HT turned off.  Would I benefit by enabling HT?

Thanks.

SteveW has published in these forums, detailed results of various configurations with HT on/off, although primarily for P3D31, the results in some instances, are applicable to FSX. It makes a very interesting read. The are arguments(many) about the pros/cons of HT.

It really comes down to a matter of choice.

The AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide (see link in my signature), provides detailed guidance for tweaks and FSX settings.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

With explorer navigate to: "C:\Users\[you]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX"

Right-click on fsx.cfg (you may need to check "file name extensions" in explorer view tab, to see the .cfg part) and in the popup menu choose Open with Notepad.exe.

in the graphics section

[GRAPHICS]

add the line

HIGHMEMFIX=1

also you can add (with original FSX Boxed edition) a bufferpools section, this doesn't exist normally in a .cfg like HIGHMEMFIX:

[bufferpools]

UsePools=1

Poolsize=2000

What processor do you have, and is HT enabled?

I can find the fsxcfg file in notepad, but the options in the task bar ---file  edit  format  view  help--- don't allow me to add or edit an entry. 

If you open the file with Notepad, you are looking at a text file, right?

In it, you can make any changes you choose and save it after.

Bert

I can find the fsxcfg file in notepad, but the options in the task bar ---file  edit  format  view  help--- don't allow me to add or edit an entry.

Do you mean these menu options on the task bar are greyed lighter in colour and do not respond to clicking on them?

Do you mean these menu options on the task bar are greyed lighter in colour and do not respond to clicking on them?

Thanks for your response. The task bar options are not greyed out, but none will let me insert a line under Graphics. I can type beside the word Graphics or any other line, but placing the command there does not seem to have any affect on the overall FSXCFG file.

OK I think you are nearly there.

I think you can scroll through the text of the file so that you can see the line [GRAPHICS]. You should, in theory, be able to make a new line by placing your cursor at the start of the next line and pressing Return, an empty line appears. Then you should be able to type in HIGHMEMFIX=1 under that line so that you can see:

[GRAPHICS]

HIGHMEMFIX=1

.. (other lines)

If you can do that, then can you go to the options now, click on "File", the menu drops down and the third option or so, should be "Save". Click that and then close with the top right red cross.

Let me know how that goes

OK I think you are nearly there.

I think you can scroll through the text of the file so that you can see the line [GRAPHICS]. You should, in theory, be able to make a new line by placing your cursor at the start of the next line and pressing Return, an empty line appears. Then you should be able to type in HIGHMEMFIX=1 under that line so that you can see:

[GRAPHICS]

HIGHMEMFIX=1

.. (other lines)

If you can do that, then can you go to the options now, click on "File", the menu drops down and the third option or so, should be "Save". Click that and then close with the top right red cross.

Let me know how that goes

Thanks Steve. That was the fix I was looking for. There are now very few texture problems, and further settings tuning should fix the rest.