Sign in to follow this  
Skyseek

FSX ATC FMC Question

If I am using the FMC for navigation  and for example for the ILS approach, FSX ATC wants to give me vectors... I assume I disable the FMC and follow the vectors?   If that is the case, how do you follow a STAR for arrival, if FSX ATC wants to vector you?

What happens in the real world as opposed to FSX?  Is the STAR generally followed?  The same for SID? I just ignored FSX ATC and I got squawked to expedite at until I resumed the course navigation.

Just curious how sim pilots handle this issue.

Thanks!

FSX' ATC does not support SIDs and STARs. You'll need to use a third party ATC tool for that.

As to which third party ATC tool you should consider...well, I'm not going to open Pandora's Box. If you dig around the forums or web, you will certainly find one of the endless discussions about these tools.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

If I am using the FMC for navigation and for example for the ILS approach, FSX ATC wants to give me vectors... I assume I disable the FMC and follow the vectors? If that is the case, how do you follow a STAR for arrival, if FSX ATC wants to vector you?

What happens in the real world as opposed to FSX? Is the STAR generally followed? The same for SID? I just ignored FSX ATC and I got squawked to expedite at until I resumed the course navigation.

Just curious how sim pilots handle this issue.

Thanks!

If your using default ATC dont follow their vectors because a lot of times they'll vector you all over the place and sometime 20 miles out of your way, or even worse, they'll send you into the side of a mountain.

I just use default ATC for takeoff clearance and on arrival clearance to land but don't file a flight plan in FSX. I basically just follow the SID or STAR as its what's correct or self vector myself and then get clearance to land from ATC.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Nothing in the real world is set in stone.  Some airports will have various aircraft following a STAR; however, others will simply put you on path for a visual with vectors.  Other times you might get a head to "zxy" waypoint direct, which may not be on the STAR and may be your initial approach fix (IAF).  If weather or traffic requires deviation, then once again you will get vectors.

In terms of FSX ATC (or P3D), it will follow your filed flight plan rather well for departure, but once the approach starts it will instruct you to turn all over for vectors.  Usually this is a zig-zag pattern that places you way out from the runway.  It can put you into a mountain, but usually just makes the flight unrealistic.  If you aren't familiar with the aircraft and don't feel good about landing then this is probably the best.  If you are a good lander and understand how to maneuver without falling behind on SOPs, then default ATC can be a problem. 

One thing overlooked by nearly everyone is the ability to choose our own approach in FSX.  Once given the instruction to turn and expect a runway, you go to the menu and choose your own approach.  This will allow you to choose ILS, GPS, RNAV and others.  Usually they have an IAF associated with them.  In that case, you can pick that IAF and request it.  ATC will then allow you to proceed direct.  This is fairly accurate in general terms.  The issue then becomes one of height.  ATC will almost always leave you too high and bark if you try to expedite your descent.  Other times the runway in use has no IAF, only vectors, so you're back to the beginning.  There are various workarounds, but most often flying VFR and just using ATC for a flight following is the best.  That way you can fly how you want.  You'll still get some interaction and traffic warnings, albeit late, lol.  Tune the arrival ATIS in early and wait to hear what runway is in use so you can program your arrival.  Then once close enough choose the airport and ask to land.

There are 3rd party ATC add ons but the voices are usually pretty bad, don't follow all protocols, and aren't prefect either.  The one most recommended uses ICAO phraseology and not FAA.  I think the voices in that sound bad.  JMHO.  Radar Contact was one I bought once but it still left a lot to be desired.  Horrible vectors for visual only airports.  Other issues that weren't uncommon to the default.  I didin't find it useful.  Look around at videos to see the alternatives first.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

watch this video (my UAV and communications app) and i give further information:

You can listen too any airport in the world (some countries is forbidden) in real time thru an app or windows pc/laptop:

http://www.liveatc.net/search/?icao=eham

Samples: http://www.liveatc.net/flisten.php?mount=eham_gnd&icao=eham

http://www.liveatc.net/flisten.php?mount=eham_twr&icao=eham

http://www.liveatc.net/flisten.php?mount=eham4&icao=eham

I hope you can learn and enjoy it for FSX.