Sign in to follow this  
cliffardus

2 simple (?) questions

1.Why does LEGS speed show 170 knots when the Approach Ref speed for flaps 30 usually shows a lower figure.? (Depending on weight)

2. Why do I frequently receive the message "Speed brake extended" despite it having been retracted?

Cliff

1.Why does LEGS speed show 170 knots when the Approach Ref speed for flaps 30 usually shows a lower figure.? (Depending on weight)

Intro Manual / Tutorial #1:

The 777 does not adjust your speed for you like the NG does. It's a simple notional value.

2. Why do I frequently receive the message "Speed brake extended" despite it having been retracted?

Check your axis assignments and/or key assignments.

Kyle Rodgers

1."The 777 does not adjust your speed for you like the NG does. It's a simple notional value"

I've probably phrased my question wrongly as I'm aware of that Tutorial information. What I'm curious about is why that should be the case. Why not either show  a blank or reflect the relevant flap speed plus 5 knots?

2."Check your axis assignments and/or key assignments."

As I activate the Speed brake by Mouse clicking near the throttle handles why should axis assignments and/or key assignments have relevance to the the clicks I've been using?

Cliff

As I activate the Speed brake by Mouse clicking near the throttle handles why should axis assignments and/or key assignments have relevance to the the clicks I've been using?

Because, even though you may only be using the mouse to activate, you may have hardware assigned to that axis that you are unaware of or forgot about.  If this axis is "noisy" and/or calibrated wrong, the speed brake could be in the wrong position, even though you may have done nothing yourself to put it there.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

I've probably phrased my question wrongly as I'm aware of that Tutorial information. What I'm curious about is why that should be the case. Why not either show  a blank or reflect the relevant flap speed plus 5 knots?

Dunno - we modeled it how Boeing modeled it. You'd have to ask them...

Well you didn't exactly specify how you were working with things, and I can't read minds, and I have to start somewhere. The sim also assigns functions to whatever axes and buttons it finds. When I first plugged in my stick/throttle combo, I had the throttles controlling my ailerons on the second throttle axis.

If we suggest something, it's generally a good idea to check it out instead of simply asking why. If we're asking you to look at something, there's generally a reason rooted in doing this for quite some time.

Kyle Rodgers