Sign in to follow this  
Eelo

Upgrading (hopefully)

Hi everybody,

Since this is the most popular forum for flight simming (i guess), I'll annoy y'all with my questions!

I currently own FSX for a few year now i've tweaked it alot and enjoy it every day, BUT i've heared P3D v3 is really good.

So I'm now considering to purchase P3D but I've got some questions about it. Looked some up on the interwebs but you know how people can respond...

So:

-Is it worth purchasing?

-Should I buy Acadamic or Professional, and are their alot of differences? (I'm undergraduate)

-Which of the two is better optimized? (runs smoother)

-Can you really 'convert' some addons over?

Thanks for the responds!

Yes, it is worth purchasing.

Talking about P3D licenses is strictly forbidden on this forum but since you are an undergraduate: get Academic. There are NO differences between the two apart from a small watermark in the Academic one. But that's all that can and may be said about this here.

Optimized: if you mean FSX vs P3D? P3D.

Some addons can be 'converted' but it is not supported and may even be illegal so also take caution with asking questions about that. I would advice to only install official P3D version of addons.

Yes, it is worth purchasing.

Talking about P3D licenses is strictly forbidden on this forum but since you are an undergraduate: get Academic. There are NO differences between the two apart from a small watermark in the Academic one. But that's all that can and may be said about this here.

Optimized: if you mean FSX vs P3D? P3D.

Some addons can be 'converted' but it is not supported and may even be illegal so also take caution with asking questions about that. I would advice to only install official P3D version of addons.

Thanks you helped me alot.

So best thing to do is now to delete the post? I don't want to break the rules.

-Is it worth purchasing?

You bet!

-Should I buy Acadamic or Professional, and are their alot of differences? (I'm undergraduate)

The difference between the two is a very small watermark upper right hand corner for the screen that says "Academic".

As to which version you should buy - that is your decision and that discussion is not allowed on many forums - this is one of them - further questions on the eula and which version , etc usually result is a quick locking of the thread. Make your own decision.

-Which of the two is better optimized? (runs smoother)

If you mean FSX & P3D - I'd definitely say P3D but it all depends on your hardware and how you set it up along with how many add-ons you pile on.

-Can you really 'convert' some addons over?

A great many will install with little or no problems. Some have dedicated P3D installers. Some will require a purchase specifically for P3D and some will flat out not work at all.

Main caution - install P3D and do NOT apply ANY of the FSX tweaks you are used to. Most are not needed, some are already built in. Get P3D set the way you want and THEN start with the addons, one at a time and adjust as necessary. Do not chase the FPS gold ring - I run mine perfectly smooth at 20fps(locked) - I could run at 30fos locked smooth also, but why? If it's smooth, I get nothing from the extra FPS but using processing time. Find YOUR balance for P3D - get it as smooth as you can with the lowest FPS and then kick it up a bit if needed.

Vic

Enjoy!

Thanks you helped me alot.

So best thing to do is now to delete the post? I don't want to break the rules.

Not necessary - you asked, got an answer - all is good. No rules broken.

Enjoy!

Vic

• Upvote 2

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors