Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

FS9.CFG [Graphics] Auto_ Lod entry

In my Graphics section, I have an entry of: AUTO_LOD=0

Does anybody know what this does...and is there a numeral other than 0, that can be used?  What I would like to see, is autogen spawned further out on the tiles...and I wonder if this setting can achieve that?

Does anybody know exactly what this setting controls?

Thanks,

It's going to be "1" = "True", or "0" = "False".

SO try it and see what it does in your sim!

A search returned a FS2002 discussion:

Automatic Loss Of Detail. It supposedly will lower detail settings to try and reach the desired frame rate setting, kind of the opposite of the way the sim normally does things.

It's going to be "1" = "True", or "0" = "False".

SO try it and see what it does in your sim!

A search returned a FS2002 discussion:

Automatic Loss Of Detail. It supposedly will lower detail settings to try and reach the desired frame rate setting, kind of the opposite of the way the sim normally does things.

Oh dear...that is certainly NOT what I want to happen, LOL!

I guess, I can try it...and see exactly WHAT does happen, as you suggest....can always go back to what it is right now =0

Thanks for the comeback. Much appreciated!

Autogen popping up can be lowered by shifting other windows programs to other cores, and applying other tweaks which improve performance (eg TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=4096        
and TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096 . There is an option in FS-Copilot that does that. You can also make FS9 large address aware using this link:  http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=112556  Download laa204.zip and follow instructions. I'm not sure if this works, but many claim positive effects. You can PM me and I'll help you with some configs as soon as I have some time.

Cheers,

Sascha

Well...I just took my first flight with:

Auto_Lod=1

Actually, this doesn't drop tile resolution, in favor of maintaining FPS at all on my system....it has kept all my 15 mile-out scenery and tiles...fully in focus.

I had never played with this .cfg setting before...and so decided to see what happens with it set to something other than off(0).

Give it a go..and then take a flight....

For myself, it is now a set to 1, and forget.  Also, my 30 FPS locked did not changed one iota.  Only, no more out-of-focus scenery, as I climb out...

This .cfg activation is highly recommended by this user.

Post Edit>..I just tried three different scenery locations.  As I climbed out of each, near-tile focus maintained.  Much better than before.  So, try or not...always your choice! :)

autolod.png

autolod2.png

autolod3.png

Ses

Just curious ......

Why would you demonstrate "near-tile focus maintained" by showing us screenshots at night .... when you really can't see anything?

Lights are nice, but .....

Just curious ......

Why would you demonstrate "near-tile focus maintained" by showing us screenshots at night .... when you really can't see anything?

Lights are nice, but .....

I enjoy running nights...and the second shot of Toronto, with a custom urban downtown underlay graphic is a hard one to focus in.  In this scene, none of the different colors are blending out into the other neighbor.  This was always a sort of soft collage. No longer...

I suggest that you change this setting to 1...and then go fly some daytime scenery that you are most familiar with..and see if it has any better effect upon your system.

Mitch, I tried this yesterday evning and it works. Far detail seems better and it doesn't jump but stays focused. FPS seem to be more stable too! I took some screenshots but was too tired to upload them. WIll attach them to the thread later.

Thank you!
Sascha

Mitch, I tried this yesterday evning and it works. Far detail seems better and it doesn't jump but stays focused. FPS seem to be more stable too! I took some screenshots but was too tired to upload them. WIll attach them to the thread later.

Thank you!

Sascha

Hi Sascha,

That's exactly what I found as well...especially looking aft of either wing.  I know for one thing, it stays as =1 on my system.  My FPS, never moved from 29.x (out of a locked 30) no matter what scene...and that is basically why I took those night shots...whereby some were having FPS droppage with using EVO autgen 3D lights at night. No FPS degradation whatsoever. :)   

That Toronto sub-mask for downtown night life, is a killer for blur, usually, but as can be seen, each 'light' color block is well defined. 

Also, for the very first time ever, I see that UTX railway yards, actually have burnt in trains upon the tracks...that before, only looked like blurred color splotches.  Nope..they are trains upon the tracks (burnt in...not 3D).

As you confirm, it works...and is a keeper setting.

Cheers,

Mitch'er

Are you using the EVO railroads? Or do UT default also have trains? Can't remember..

Are you using the EVO railroads? Or do UT default also have trains? Can't remember..

Well, that is a good question...I do have UT railroads on as enhanced.  But either way, Sascha, anything on those railways, or yards, were just color blur, other than the line of the rail line.  But now..I can see the roofs of train cars sitting on the tracks, or on an off-side rail.  Before the setting of Auto_Lod to 1...I could not.

Mitch

As almost always, the effect of changing this value seems to be different from system to system. What I experienced when changing to Auto_lod=1 was a slight FPS drop without other (visible) effects... (perhaps a question of GPU?)

However, it is nice that it works for you, Mitch and Sascha.

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg

As almost always, the effect of changing this value seems to be different from system to system. What I experienced when changing to Auto_lod=1 was a slight FPS drop without other (visible) effects... (perhaps a question of GPU?)

However, it is nice that it works for you, Mitch and Sascha.

Harald, I really now think that it could be a quite system-specific quandary for both this...as well as when you engage EVO 3D lighting...and your also drop in FPS performance when those are called upon.  Hopefully, when you decide to upgrade your system, to whatever, this FPS hit will be a thing of the past!!!

Cheers,

Mitch 

Yes Mitch, I hope so. I tested quite a lot and found out a coincidence of the FPS drop with Evo lights with ground shadows... but this is some off-topic. I think that my decision for an AMD GPU has to do a lot with my problems. Nevertheless, I enjoy my sim very much!

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg

Yes Mitch, I hope so. I tested quite a lot and found out a coincidence of the FPS drop with Evo lights with ground shadows... but this is some off-topic. I think that my decision for an AMD GPU has to do a lot with my problems. Nevertheless, I enjoy my sim very much!

Yeah, it might not be ground shadows that was causing it, per se...but that all of these add up to an over-stress of your card?  Well...perhaps you can at some point in time, switch out to an nVidia product, and perhaps, (hopefully) that will end these performance against feature drops.  Happy flying, Harald! :)

Cheers,