Sign in to follow this  
dutton98

VSync and triple buffering!

HT only made my machine run hotter, not better.

Mark

Hi Steve,

Firstly thank you for all your contributions here. I read your recent comments regarding setting the AM for an i7-5960X in the prepar3d.cfg file:

[JOBSCHEDULER]

AffinityMask=21760

I'm surprised at this recommendation, as this very setting turns my P3Dv3 into a stutterfest. In fact I have found that using any form of AM setting in the cfg seems to be detrimental to performance.

I use EasyToolz to set AM externally and have turned off all HT cores along with the very first core too. This seems to deliver the best performance on my system - i7-5960X CPU and GTX 980 GPU.

Using a 21760 type setting in EasyToolz also caused terrible stutters.

Cheers,

Jerome

That's correct, with your setup and externally moving the sim you are piling on many jobs onto four cores, which won't work.

HT only made my machine run hotter, not better.

Mark

HT does more work so turning it on produces more heat. You'll need an AM that unmasks 4 LPs to prevent that, and use that extra work done to your advantage.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

...Folk just love to talk about HT and Affinity! HT on provides a more substantial platform for the sim to perform better, but apps like P3D need help. You'll have to argue that with Intel. But then moving or externally setting P3D affinity or priority has undesirable results. By saying "All HT cores" presumable meaning the second LP of each core. That means running 8 cores and that's got to be hotter than running four. Also moving the sim affinity is mounting 16 jobs onto those 8 cores, jamming 16 onto four cores will look a lot worse. Even so, that's going to be a poor setup for such an awesome machine.

...Folk just love to talk about HT and Affinity! HT on provides a more substantial platform for the sim to perform better, but apps like P3D need help. You'll have to argue that with Intel. But then moving or externally setting P3D affinity or priority has undesirable results. By saying "All HT cores" presumable meaning the second LP of each core. That means running 8 cores and that's got to be hotter than running four. Also moving the sim affinity is mounting 16 jobs onto those 8 cores, jamming 16 onto four cores will look a lot worse. Even so, that's going to be a poor setup for such an awesome machine.

Hi Steve,

I'm not sure I follow what you're saying here.

It was you that recommended a setting of AffinityMask=21760 in the cfg (which equates to 01,01,01,01,00,00,00,00) for someone else that had a question concerning their i7-5960X and what AM they should be using.

I decided to try your recommendation and it produced a stutterfest, so I went back to using EasyToolz and a setting of 21844, as 21760 there also produces severe stutters.

I'm intrigued if anyone running an i7-5960X actually gets decent results with using any form of AM setting in the jobscheduler of their cfg. My experience has been to always set AM outside of the cfg.

With reference to HT and running hot, my system is water-cooled, so heat is not an issue.  :wink:

Cheers,

Jerome

There's guys using three of their four cores to good effect, and unable to show better results with four. So when someone says they are getting a stutterfest using four straight cores, on an eight core CPU, there must be something wrong. What that is, who knows.

You say you are using seven cores for the sim. Heat may not be an issue for your water cooling, but cores loaded unnecessarily with extra unused processing baggage, are taking that processing time away from other things. Logically it would be better to utilise those four spare cores more wisely, irrespective of heat.

You guys are somewhat late to the party anyway, HT and AMs have been long since deduced.

Over on another thread, something more worthwhile, Pete of FSUIPC genius, find out he's got a driver problem, and this could help especially since this is a discussion about VSync and Triple Buffer:

"It was the video driver. I installed the latest from nVidia, 364.xx. My friend Thomas told me that the 364.xx series were bad on his system -- lower frame rates and bad stutters -- and that he'd gone back to 361.43 and it solved all that."

Anyone with any kind of glitch in the video can at least try that release.

^Im using only 3 cores for P3D with no issues. Have EFB, ASN, and TrackIR running on core 0 and P3D on 1,2,3.

I have a 3570k @ 4.1Ghz and a GTX670. With some small decreases I can get 28-30fps, for the most part, stutter free. Still looks great.

• Upvote 1

HT does more work so turning it on produces more heat. You'll need an AM that unmasks 4 LPs to prevent that, and use that extra work done to your advantage.

Hi Steve-

Maybe I'll give this another go. I've got a Haswell 4670/Titan Black setup running OPUS only.

Any suggestion for an initial AM setup?

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Mark, Haswell 4670 4 cores no AM:

(easy) AM=14 in cfg and run addons as-is. Gives three cores to the sim

OR

(more tricky) no AM in cfg, but put addons above core zero on 1,2,3. Gives four cores to the sim.

Thanks, Steve.

I'l try AM=14 when I get home and we'll see what's up.

Mark

Hi Mark, Haswell 4670 4 cores no AM:

(easy) AM=14 in cfg and run addons as-is. Gives three cores to the sim

OR

(more tricky) no AM in cfg, but put addons above core zero on 1,2,3. Gives four cores to the sim.

Steve - which one do you see as being better ?  

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Good idea. With four core no HT, AM=14 is easy since we can just run addon as is. The addon will find the first core and will put its major activity there. But if you got time try both.

Good idea. With four core no HT, AM=14 is easy since we can just run addon as is. The addon will find the first core and will put its major activity there. But if you got time try both.

Steve, I'm sorry if this has been asked/answered before, but with this config, does it matter in what order we launch things?  I usually launch ASN first, then P3D.  Should I always launch P3D first instead?

Thanks so much again for all your help and time!!!

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

I have my FPS locked at 30 and V-sync set to half refresh rate in NI as per Kostas tweaks, silky smooth in FSX and P3D. Kostas tweaks solved my headaches years ago !

Steve, I'm sorry if this has been asked/answered before, but with this config, does it matter in what order we launch things?  I usually launch ASN first, then P3D.  Should I always launch P3D first instead?

Thanks so much again for all your help and time!!!

Yes order of startup will change the way stuff works. It can be better to run the sim first but can't always do that I suppose. If you run the addons and the sim with affinity settings at least you have some control over where they make their main threads. The first thread in a Windows program is usually the main activity, and that will run on the first core it finds with little activity. Other threads spawned by the apps will be found holes in activity by the jobscheduler further along the row of cores.