Sign in to follow this  
dutton98

VSync and triple buffering!

TBM - saw this suggestion from Steve as well...had always gone with 80 or 90 per NickN in the past.  My understanding as that in P3dv3 this doesn't make a huge difference like it did in FSX, but if you run autogen at dense or higher then this supposedly helps.  I didn't do side by sides as I did these tweaks pretty much at the same time so I don't know how much it's helping but I assume it contributes to the smoothness I am seeing...no more skipping/stuttering in turns and I use max tree autogen and very dense buildings.

OK, thanks for your help :-) I'll try this. BTW, do you still use G-SYNC or have you changed it to something else? If you set the limiter to 28, I can see why we should use G-sync... but maybe I have misunderstood you. 

I use NI limiter at 29 and set Gsync to off (not used below 30 so probably doesn't matter) and vsync to "use application" in NI.  Hope that helps!

TBM - saw this suggestion from Steve as well...had always gone with 80 or 90 per NickN in the past.  My understanding as that in P3dv3 this doesn't make a huge difference like it did in FSX, but if you run autogen at dense or higher then this supposedly helps.  I didn't do side by sides as I did these tweaks pretty much at the same time so I don't know how much it's helping but I assume it contributes to the smoothness I am seeing...no more skipping/stuttering in turns and I use max tree autogen and very dense buildings.

So you mean with high autogen and lod, TBM 80-90 seems to work better for you?

@TheBoom - sorry for the confusion...I meant that I changed it to 180 due to higher autogen settings per Steve's post somewhere else and have been pleased with the finished product...just not sure how much this particular setting helped but it all works so I'm leaving it at 180.  Hope that helps!

I use NI limiter at 29 and set Gsync to off (not used below 30 so probably doesn't matter) and vsync to "use application" in NI.  Hope that helps!

Can you upload a picture of your NVI settings? 

@TheBoom - sorry for the confusion...I meant that I changed it to 180 due to higher autogen settings per Steve's post somewhere else and have been pleased with the finished product...just not sure how much this particular setting helped but it all works so I'm leaving it at 180.  Hope that helps!

I remember him saying that a value of 30 seemed to work better with higher autogen and lod settings compared to 180? He recommended 180 for low to medium autogen and lod. Well if it works for you then I guess don't change it.

Regards,

Shanan

I remember him saying that a value of 30 seemed to work better with higher autogen and lod settings compared to 180? He recommended 180 for low to medium autogen and lod. Well if it works for you then I guess don't change it.

Regards,

Shanan

So you're using 180 and got medium lod and autogen settings? 

So you're using 180 and got medium lod and autogen settings?

No. I have autogen and LOD maxed out. I tried 180 but I still had slow loading textured and blurries/scenery popping. I have since removed both TBM and TML in my config and everything seems to run better. it should have reverted to the default of 30.

I haven't posted much here and haven't figured out how to add screenshots or attachments lol not seeing an "add file" or similar...let me know and I'll be happy to show.  As for TBM - I found the posts I referred to and copying below.  Apparently Steve found that 180 does work better than 30 at medium+ autogen settings but not all maxed out because it caps out and performance suffers...so I assume in my case (trees at very dense and buildings at dense) that 180 may in fact be suffering.  I will probably just back it down to 30 - thanks for the correction!  Here's his post:

"I could see that [DISPLAY] TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT alters the characteristics of the sim. With autogen 4 and lod 4.5 TBM180 performed only slightly better than TBM30. I went up to autogen 5 and lod 5.5 and TBM30 performed a lot better than TBM180, probably because the system is topping out with such high lod/autogen.

After tests I amended information on my site:

[Display]
TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=30 (Smoother frame rate with very low or no autogen and lod.)
TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=180 (Smoother frame rate with medium+ autogen and lod.)
LOD 3.5 and Autogen 3 improved by at least 2% with TBM180 rather than TBM30. Autogen 5 and Lod 5.5 produce the opposite result as the available bandwidth is exceeded.

Unfortunately I can't seem to get more than 13 fps on my system even at a default airport with default airplane. Never had FPS problems until now. I just recently updated to P3Dv3.2 and discovered this topic. i set my NI limit to 30fps, display Settings set Unlimited, VSync On, and Triple Buffer On but not getting anywhere near 30 frames. I have a fast PC as well. This is also a fresh install of P3Dv3.2 in win10.

SSD-Nvidia 660Ti-I7-4790-asus P8Z77 MB

George Lee

Asus Maximus Hero IX Motherboard, Intel i7 6700K CPU, Geforce GTX 1080, Corsair 16Gb memory, Corsair case, Corsair PSU

This could be the undocked panel bug that halves the fps. Don't set the NI limiter in your case, or try another driver.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

I updated the driver to the latest, I returned NI to the default but same thing. The panel bug not sure what your referring to.

George Lee

Asus Maximus Hero IX Motherboard, Intel i7 6700K CPU, Geforce GTX 1080, Corsair 16Gb memory, Corsair case, Corsair PSU

Some systems recently have shown a halving of fps with an undocked panel, depending on driver version. Perhaps you're suffering a different problem.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

This could be the undocked panel bug that halves the fps. Don't set the NI limiter in your case, or try another driver.

What do you mean by that? "undocked panel bug" ?