Sign in to follow this  
bobterri

NewComputer +FSX-SE + Windows10 + stutters

The following entry in .cfg did not change anything.  Still stuttering.

With HT enabled, set in the .cfg:
[JOBSCHEDULER]

AffinityMask=116

Bob Bressert

So it's not another app sawtoothing the main sim job, OK.

So can you describe the stutter a bit more detail?

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

You lost me here!  You mean vsync in NI works even though you're in Windows mode in FSX in Windows 10?  I'm confused.

Microsoft has made it so that vsync is always on for the desktop in Windows 10 -  so yes vsync and desktop composition is always on for Windows 8 an 10. I don't think it can be disabled like in Windows 7 (( you know how it shuts windows aero off and goes to a basic theme))

So can you describe the stutter a bit more detail?

Stop and start for a split second.  Jerky.  Especially when turning during taxiing.

Microsoft has made it so that vsync is always on for the desktop in Windows 10 -  so yes vsync and desktop composition is always on for Windows 8 an 10. I don't think it can be disabled like in Windows 7 (( you know how it shuts windows aero off and goes to a basic theme))

I'm beginning to REALLY hate Windows 10.

Bob Bressert

I'm beginning to REALLY hate Windows 10.

My specs are in my signature. I wonder if his issue is hardware.  MB, processor, vid card model number are fine, but there are differences in what is provided by manufacturers.  Also possible to have a component that is not performing up to spec.  

I've been on a fresh new system and fresh out of the box Windows 10 since late September and with the exception of some brain fade by Saitek in regard to drivers my FSX is flawless.  Only stutters I have experienced are in the RealAir Turbine Duke v2 when I install two F1 GTN 750s and taxi and takeoff at hi res add on airports.  With one GTN in the TDv2 everything is smooth, even in LA and NYC with lots of hi res scenery in play.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I bought this new computer from Cyberpowerpc and it was delivered in January this year.  The specs are:

Asus-Z97-E MOB; i7 4790k 4.6Ghz; 8gb DDR3 1866; Zotac GTX970, Corsair H110i GT liquid cooling, EVGA 750w Supernova power supply.

It was overclocked by Cyberpowerpc.

Bob Bressert

Stop and start for a split second.  Jerky.  Especially when turning during taxiing.

"Especially when turning during taxiing"

If the PC had a fault it would do it at any time? Is it that looking straight ahead you just don't see it so bad? Or does it start the problem when you turn.

test it out:

Steam menu fsx, properties, local files, verify cache.

In the NCP fsx profile Restore to factory defaults Apply.

rename dll.xml

rename exe.xml

Make sure you have no AV doing a disk scan or something like that going on.

Start fsx, select a B58, select a mid size airport, active runway

Run the sim, check AA and select Aniso filter, set 29fps on the slider

Taxi around, stutter? turn down every slider and image feature, taxi around.

I bought this new computer from Cyberpowerpc and it was delivered in January this year.  The specs are:

Asus-Z97-E MOB; i7 4790k 4.6Ghz; 8gb DDR3 1866; Zotac GTX970, Corsair H110i GT liquid cooling, EVGA 750w Supernova power supply.

It was overclocked by Cyberpowerpc.

Do you still have your old system? Wonder what the results would be if you tried its video card? You have thrown every thing but the kitchen sink at the software/settings end of it.  Are you using SSD's?

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I still have the video card, a GTX 460.  I said it was a GTX 470 earlier.  Might be worth a try.

I also thought of installing the free version of X-plane to see if it too would stutter.  

Bob Bressert

I asked about SSD's because I had a performance issue with a clone that I created and booted from late last week.  Found SSDs can suffer from a condition called something akin to Garbage Collection, which severely affects performance.  It can be fixed with a maneuver and settings. 

Frank Patton
ASUS 

Despite desktop VSync in Win 10, I needed to force it for FSX (in windowed mode) with that fsx.cfg line.

I'mma give the 31 FPS setting a try.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

The reason we are recommending "set 29fps on the slider" is because he's got an 85Hz refresh.

Set the frame rate to optimally coincide with the refresh exactly or a division of the refresh. So 85/3 = 28.333. There's no merit in setting one fps higher than needed, you can't draw a frame in hand.

Worth a look at your monitor specs, some can be as much variance as 64Hz at 1920x1080 to 59.9Hz at 1920x1200. Some users may need a higher fps e.g. 31, because 30 is not actually half of theirs. Take a look at the 20 vs 21 fps graphs and setting too high is a waste of valuable performance.

SteveW,

The stutters occur primarily when turning, but not exclusively.  I have run the "verify cache" option in the Steam menu, but I did not rename exe.xml and/or dml.xml.  

The monitor is the same one I used with the old computer, which, again, worked wonderfully with no stutters.  Through all of this, I have tried the Target Frame Rates of 20, 21, 29, 30, and 31, all by using the slider inside FSX, besides the higher ones of 40 and 41. My current setting is 29 and it does seem to help. I could bring home my office monitor and try that.

Fppilot,

I swapped out the new GTX 970 with the old GTX 460 last night and it didn't help at all.  Same stutters.  Also, I made sure the SSD was AHCI enabled and TRIM was on.  They are.

Bjoern,

Are you talking about:

[GRAPHICS]

ForceFullScreenVSync=1

Bob Bressert

Also, I forgot, but I have a rather bizarre problem with installing scenery.  Maybe it has something to do with the stuttering, who knows?  

All payware scenery installs and looks good.  But, if I add freeware scenery by adding it to C:\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\Addon Scenery\scenery, it will not show up in FSX.  If I install one of Ray Smith's sceneries that require an .obj file to be added to /Scenery/Global/Scenery, that files shows up in FSX but not the ones added to the \Addon Scenery/scenery location.

I don't bring this up to ask how to fix it (I started a separate thread about it), but simply to ask if this has anything to do with the stuttering?  I'm beginning to grasp at straws.

I wonder, at this point, whether I should remove FSX-SE and everything associated with it and reinstall everything?  (sigh!)

Bob Bressert