Sign in to follow this  
Donstim

Win 10 and undocked panels

Although I use the virtual cockpit, I take advantage of the separate 2D cockpit PMDG supplies in order to put an undocked radio panel on my second monitor.  This makes it easier to change radio frequencies while flying online on VATSIM.  I recently upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and found that I cannot move an undocked panel to my second monitor. Is there some setting or technique that I'm missing that would enable me to move an undocked panel to my second monitor?

I have an Nvidia video card and am using the most recent drivers (361.91)

Thanks,

Don Stimson

Although I use the virtual cockpit, I take advantage of the separate 2D cockpit PMDG supplies in order to put an undocked radio panel on my second monitor.  This makes it easier to change radio frequencies while flying online on VATSIM.  I recently upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and found that I cannot move an undocked panel to my second monitor. Is there some setting or technique that I'm missing that would enable me to move an undocked panel to my second monitor?

I have an Nvidia video card and am using the most recent drivers (361.91)

Thanks,

Don Stimson

Thats strange. I have no issues with FMC,PFD,ND on 2 other monitors. What happens when you try to move them ?

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

It just moves them to the edge (and nearly all off-screen) of my main monitor.  It does not move them to my second monitor. 

More information...I am running FSX in windowed mode.  I can move the whole application to the other monitor, but not separate "pieces" of it.  I run in windowed mode so that I can easily access other applications (like vPilot, TOPCAT, and charts) on the second monitor.  If I run FSX in full screen mode, I can move panels to the second monitor, but the other applications I am running are blacked out on that monitor.

Don Stimson

It just moves them to the edge (and nearly all off-screen) of my main monitor.  It does not move them to my second monitor. 

More information...I am running FSX in windowed mode.  I can move the whole application to the other monitor, but not separate "pieces" of it.  I run in windowed mode so that I can easily access other applications (like vPilot, TOPCAT, and charts) on the second monitor.  If I run FSX in full screen mode, I can move panels to the second monitor, but the other applications I am running are blacked out on that monitor.

Don Stimson

Not on my win10 machine right now but its not much different - right mouse click on your desktop and go to screen resolution

You need to make it extend as shown in pic - hope this helps

nex9hj.jpg

Rich Sennett

Thanks Richard.  I already have it set that way, though.

Worked fine to move undocked panels to the second monitor in windows mode under Win7, but doesn't work for me after upgrading to Win10.  From reading sparse posts about this issue, I thought it had something to do with adding the task bar to the second monitor.  But you guys apparently aren't having this issue.

Don Stimson

Thanks Richard.  I already have it set that way, though.

Worked fine to move undocked panels to the second monitor in windows mode under Win7, but doesn't work for me after upgrading to Win10.  From reading sparse posts about this issue, I thought it had something to do with adding the task bar to the second monitor.  But you guys apparently aren't having this issue.

Don Stimson

Don post a screenshot in my windows 10 in a minute - I am at home now - this is all you really should need to do - right mouse click on desktop and and click on display settings

Also my main screen is number 1 and number 2 is on my left - you just drag the number one left or right depending on where they physically are 

Try it again - I dont have menu bars on my other monitor nor should you have to

Do you have one monitor cable going into video card and the other going into another input into video card - you are not splitting them are you - not sure if it matters but throwing it out there 

24lu0w3.jpg

Rich Sennett

Try what again?  I have basically the same setup that you do except that my main monitor is on the left.  I've had this setup for years.

Don Stimson

Try what again?  I have basically the same setup that you do except that my main monitor is on the left.  I've had this setup for years.

Don Stimson

Sorry ok you have done this and still having the issue - I will have to search around has to be something easy 

Rich Sennett

Thanks Richard!  I've done some searching and can't find anything.  For what it's worth, I'm using FSX-SE.  But I confirmed the problem also exists with FSX.

​Don Stimson

Thanks Richard!  I've done some searching and can't find anything.  For what it's worth, I'm using FSX-SE.  But I confirmed the problem also exists with FSX.

​Don Stimson

Don are you using latest driver for windows 10 - you have an nvidia card I would assume 

Lots of videos on the subject

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Windows+10+And+Fix+Second+Monitor

Rich Sennett

Hey, what about resetting the NVidia profile in NCP? Can be kaput after a Win 10 upgrade. If not already tried, right-click desktop NVidia Control Panel, Manage 3D settings, choose FSX profile, Restore, Apply. May want to try a Restore with the overall profile too, gets rid of DSR settings and resets the screens.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Thanks Steve.  I use Nvidia Inspector to set the 3D display adaptor setting for FSX.  Just did it again yesterday and verified the settings were shown in the Nvidia control panel.

Just to be clear guys, the second monitor works fine in all respects (can move windows between monitors, no flickering, etc.), ​except that I cannot move 3D panels (undocked windows) within FSX from one monitor to the other.  I can move the whole FSX window from one to the other, not just individual panels/windows.​

This is using FSX in windowed, not full screen, mode.  In full screen mode, I can move a panel over, but then my monitor cannot show any other windows since it is in full screen mode.

​Don Stimson

Thanks Steve.  I use Nvidia Inspector to set the 3D display adaptor setting for FSX.  Just did it again yesterday and verified the settings were shown in the Nvidia control panel.

Just to be clear guys, the second monitor works fine in all respects (can move windows between monitors, no flickering, etc.), ​except that I cannot move 3D panels (undocked windows) within FSX from one monitor to the other.  I can move the whole FSX window from one to the other, not just individual panels/windows.​

This is using FSX in windowed, not full screen, mode.  In full screen mode, I can move a panel over, but then my monitor cannot show any other windows since it is in full screen mode.

​Don Stimson

I see ok thats better but I cant remember how do this in fsx as I havent used it a long time - hopefully fsx user can chime in here

Rich Sennett