Sign in to follow this  
Pochi

1st build - How to deal with drivers ?

Hi there,

Following my previous post asking for some help to choose parts for a new build, I ordered an i5 6600K with ASUS Z170i Gaming MOBO and MSI GTX970 Gaming, and the others parts needed.

As this is my 1st build ever, I am currently looking for maximum informations about building computer in anticipation. But I lack some informations about the drivers installation part of the build.

If I understand well, my MOBO should come with a CD on which I will find all the drivers needed. But, it is advised not to use them, but rather go to motherboard manufacturer website and download the last versions. That's what I did but there are lots of them and I do not know if they are all required :

- Is Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver usefull if not using RAID?

- What is Management Engine Interface and how it works in relation to Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility ?

Then my question would be : What should I install first? What is your advice?

BIOS Update - > Windows 10 -> Intel Chipset -> Intel Graphic Driver -> Audio, USB, LAN, WIFI, Bluetooth drivers -> Nvidia driver?

I am quite lost as you can see...I naively thought that W10 would install all those drivers automatically...

My last question is about the Nvidia drivers : What is the best curently available driver for GTX970 running FSX? Where should I download  it and how should I install it in order to avoid Windows auto install? I am asking this because I read somewhere that the last driver version may not be the best performing one regarding old FSX.

Thanks for your help,

Pierre

The CD that comes with the motherboard likely contains the drivers for the motherboard chipsets and basic functions.  Once your computer is assembled, you will install these drivers first.  Your harddrive or SSD may come with a driver disc as well.  By installing the drive maker's drivers, you will have the option of partitioning the drive.  Partitioning used to be a very popular thing, but with faster harddrives and SSD's, partitioning a drive into smaller, logical drives has fallen out of favor.  After the hard drive installation is completed, you can install Windows.  Once Windows is installed and boots, it will begin to detect your hardware and prompt you to either insert the respective CD or search for drivers.  As for Nvidia drivers, I've always started with the disc that came with the video card.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

I am sure that my clean install of Windows 10 Professional installed the LAN driver.

Install chipset driver from disk that came with Board.  Not sure rest of order matters much.

Regards,
Gary Andersen

HAF932 Advanced, ASUS Z690-P D4, i5-12600k @4.9,NH-C14S, 2x8GB DDR4 3600, RM850x PSU,Sata DVD, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB storage, W10-Pro on Intel 750 AIC 800GB PCI-Express,MSI RTX3070 LHR 8GB, AW2720HF, VS238, Card Reader, SMT750 UPS.

The Z170 drivers are not installed by default when installing Win 10.

You need the driver disc from the Mobo. You can install them and upgrade them later.

Otherwise your sequence is ok. ->

BIOS Update - > Windows 10 -> Intel Chipset -> Intel Graphic Driver -> Audio, USB, LAN, WIFI, Bluetooth drivers -> Nvidia driver?

The Chipset + Audio / USB / LAN drivers wre installed in one on my Asus board. Same should be for MSI boards I guess.

What you can also do:

Make yourself a USB 3 stick with Windows on it and add the drivers for the mainboard, so you do not need a slow CD for installing stuff.

https://www.microsoft.com/de-de/software-download/windows10