Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

Carenado Cirrus (XP) Released

Just bought this plane.  It's my first G1000 plane, so I wanted a modern GA plane to complement my steam gauge collection.  I've only completed one circuit so the remarks below are only first impressions.

The good points:
-  It looks good

-  Flight characteristics feel very stable.  There's no twitchy responsiveness here.  Stall speeds with flaps up and down are fairly close to the book.

-  G1000 features a big step up from the default displays.

-  Sounds are very convincing.  It sounds like a smooth modern engine compared to the rough old pistons.

Bad Points:

- Frame rates dropped massively  from 65fps in my Baron V35 to 25fps in this plane.  It seems like CPU has a much bigger draw time compared to the CPU.  I hope this can be improved upon.

- Brakes are very twitchy.  If you just touch the brakes on the rudder pedals, you'll shoot off to the left or right because of differential braking.

- The parachute system is not modelled (in so far as if you pull the handle, the flight will reset).  It's not a feature I'd use often, but it was a ground breaking headline feature for the real life version of this plane.  Parachutes are modelled in xplane, so it's a shame this feature isn't implemented.

Uncertain Points

- Conversely nose wheel steering is very sluggish.  Looking at the design of the plane, I get the impression that the nose wheel probably has no steering capability.  In which case I'm wandering if the rudder should have any effect at all at slow taxi speeds.

-  It's not a fixed blade prop, but prop speed is linked to throttle.  There's no constant RPM with this propeller.

I pretty much agree with your good and bad points. Although, I am not having the frame rate issues with this plane. so far, it runs about the same as the other Carenado g1000 planes for me. I seem to be in the minority here, since I've been reading a lot of comments on other forums about this plane, bringing their system to its knees. Hopefully they will optimize it better and find out why its such a frame rate hog.

I was hoping the CAPS system would be modeled since the Vflyteair  SR20 has it modeled and I remember someone from their team saying it was one of the easiest things to do in X-plane. I love Carenado planes, but in this case, I think I prefer the vflyteair version. I like the way their version flies compared to the Carenado version. I know they are not the same plane (SR22 vs SR20) I have a few hours in a real SR20 and that's what I'm judging it by, So it may explain why I feel the SR20 is more familiar to me.

Rob

Frame rates are terrible for me as well.  Hope it gets fixed in a patch. 

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.