Sign in to follow this  
dromeascr

SATCOM

Hello everyone,

I just want to ask a few things about SATCOM.

First of all, what's SATCOM? (What's it's purpose?)

Is it modelled in the PMDG 777? 

If the answers can be found by reffering to a manual, please tell me so.

Thanks in Advance. 

First of all, what's SATCOM?

SATellite COMmunications.

http://www.skybrary.aero/index.php/SATCOM

TL;DR: Provides radio and data access to areas of the world without ground-based radio receiver coverage (or, in areas where HF would otherwise be required - if you haven't listened to HF, a quick listen will explain why you'd want to avoid it - lots of noise, and distortion).

Apart from being able to add the antenna visually, and look at a visual representation of the COMM page, no.

Kyle Rodgers

SATCOM in a broad sense is just an acronym for satellite communications. Depending on context it can mean different things. The optional SATCOM antenna on the aircraft is an antenna for in-flight entertainment.  There are SATCOM COMM capabilities as mentioned by Kyle who just beat me to an answer.

Dan Downs KCRP

Thanks for the quick explanation, but is it able to communicate using voice via SATCOM (with less distortion and static sounds than HF of course, it's pointless otherwise).

The fact that you didn't bother modelling it's functionality doesn't make me wonder, it would be useless in FSX. 

The fact that you didn't bother modelling it's functionality doesn't make me wonder,

There are some functions modeled such as the upload of performance, wind, and position reporting. As much of the Company Data Link that could be modeled is included, see FCOM ch 11, and this uses both VHF ground based radio and satellite communications.

Dan Downs KCRP

If the answers can be found by reffering to a manual, please tell me so.

PMDG 777 Introduction Manual Page 86. I know it says 300ER but I am flying the 777F right now and is an option on this model. Like Kyle said, it is a visual model only of the antenna.

When you activate it in your sim, it alllows you to watch DirecTV. - David Lee

I knew it had to do something. It seemed like it was more than eye candy. HaHaHa!

SATellite COMmunications.

http://www.skybrary.aero/index.php/SATCOM

TL;DR: Provides radio and data access to areas of the world without ground-based radio receiver coverage (or, in areas where HF would otherwise be required - if you haven't listened to HF, a quick listen will explain why you'd want to avoid it - lots of noise, and distortion).

Apart from being able to add the antenna visually, and look at a visual representation of the COMM page, no.

Just watching the 772 Air Canada Polar Flight program will show just how bad HF is to listen to. I actually felt bad for the FO having to repeat and try to translate what was being transmitted. It seems impossible to give position reports. :wacko: 

There appears to be some confusion.

The antenna/dome you can add on the PMDG777s only real life purpose is for satellite based internet connectivity.

The aircraft is already fitted with another SATCOM antenna (the narrow flat antenna fitted on the aft upper fuselage) which is used for ACARS, CPDLC, etc.

Most B777 operators do not have the satellite antenna/dome for inflight Internet.

Very few if any however, do not have SATCOM capability.