Sign in to follow this  
cgw44

fsx acceleration

Looking for any fsx expert's to respond to my question.

I've got an fsx addon that requires fsx acceleration.

I have fsx sp2 installed and my question is can I safely install acceleration over fsx sp2 without problems and/or losing

aircraft/scenery already installed?

Thanks for any response.

You will have to uninstall SP2 before installing Acceleration.

Other than that you should have no problems, neither process should touch addon files, they don't know of the addons existence.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

I can't see why.

Acceleration includes SP2, so any addons that need SP2 will work after you install Acceleration.

regards,

Joe

sigbar.gif

Will some my other addons stop working after I uninstall  sp2?

Removing SP2 OR Acceleration will not change anything.  SPP2 and Acceleration are updates to FSX.  It will not touch the scenery.cfg or fsx.cfg or any of the files in those folders.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Removing SP2 OR Acceleration will not change anything

Jim  could  be  wrong  here  thought  that  pmdg  requires  you to have  sp2  or  accel installed?

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Jim  could  be  wrong  here  thought  that  pmdg  requires  you to have  sp2  or  accel installed?

Hi Pete,

That's correct but cgw44 wanted to know if anything would change in his FSX installation if he removed SP2 or Acceleration as the poster prior to that advised the individual he would have to remove SP2 before installing Acceleration.  I assumed he was worried it would mess up his FSX.cfg, scenery.cfg, dll.xml, etc. if he did this and it will not.  If you install Acceleration over SP2, it could mess up your FSX as Acceleration was released before SP2 as Microsoft was hoping to make billions by releasing the payware version of SP2 first.  A few months later, they released SP2 which is the freeware version of Acceleration and is coded differently. 

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Jim, you are correct, SP2 should be uninstalled before installing Acceleration, I did this and everything works fine. Should be noted that some add-on aircraft etc require Acceleration, they will not work with just SP1 & 2.  I would advise cgw4 to be wary should a used copy be found as I believe that the licence is limited to the number of computers it can be installed on, also the price vendors are asking should you find one may feel like daylight robbery but that's the crunch unfortunately !

Regards

Echofox

Should be noted that some add-on aircraft etc require Acceleration, they will not work with just SP1 & 2.

I probably should have mentioned this at the beginning but looking at your OP, you should have been able to use your product with SP2 (you would need to install SP1 and SP2).  Payware developers should state SP2 or Acceleration is required as SP2 is exactly the same as Acceleration except it was coded so those who only installed freeware SP2 would not have access to the products that came with payware Acceleration.  So that would not make sense products would only allow Acceleration to work.  Just wanted to clarify as I don't want everyone to go out and buy Acceleration.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

I would advise cgw4 to be wary should a used copy be found as I believe that the licence is limited to the number of computers it can be installed on, also the price vendors are asking should you find one may feel like daylight robbery but that's the crunch unfortunately !

Well I ordered a copy of acc for $38. I hope it works

Now on to another question:

I have several pmgd products - my understanding is that I remove sp2 first before I install acc and

everything including pmdg should work?  And also how do I go about removing sp2 only?

I probably should have mentioned this at the beginning but looking at your OP, you should have been able to use your product with SP2

What I bought was milvs f4 and it requires acc to work  [won't work with just sp2 because i've tried it already]  and also I want to try carrier landings....but I won't do this if it will screw everything up.

Thanks for the help.

how do I go about removing sp2 only?

Go to the Windows Control Panel and you will see FSX SP2.

Remove it as you would any other software and after you do, it will say FSX SP1.

Then you can install Acceleration.

Removing SP2 and adding Acceleration is not going to screw up any addons.

The addons need what SP2 and/or Acceleration provides to work properly and the addons will not change any files that the FSX uninstaller/installer would need.

sigbar.gif