Sign in to follow this  
rhodges

Excessive Background Noise?

Somewhere along the line I have developed background noise that is annoying. I cannot really tell whether it is engines, wind, the environment or something else. Sometimes switching to the outside view and back to the cockpit view reduces the noise for a period at least. I am pretty sure it is coming from FS as pressing the "Q" key silences it. Communication continues with PF3, but all other sound is silenced then. I have tried unchecking all sound options and nothing changes relative to the noise. Engines and communication settings can be set high enough to override the background, but it is still a nuisance and one has to listen carefully to the communication due to the background.

Any ideas?

RTH

Thanks for the replies folks:

I have tried turning down both ground traffic and ships down to nothing, and the noise continues to be there some of the time at different levels.

Happy flying:

RTH

I have tried turning down both ground traffic and ships down to nothing, and the noise continues to be there some of the time at different levels.

Happy flying:

RTH

Setting at the gate I hear the same noise. Sounds to me like wind? Do you have ASN? Could be some kind of wind sound adjustment?

Regards

Lamar Wright

Happy flying:

RTH

Have you tested this phenomenon with default aircraft with their default engine sound files?   Or, does it occur with add-on aircraft?

If you have addons installed, often times sounds they make are not affected by any of the sound menu sliders.

Some addons deliberately generate background noise. If you list the addon programs you are using, that may help to find the source.

Peter

refueling trucks are also known for the noise?

Refueling truck engines run constantly and being anywhere near them results in a constant background noise.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Very Bumpy: I understand what you are saying and see that happen with some aircraft. However, in this case the background noise is not aircraft specific, and is present with default aircraft as well.

Disk98 and Stans: Under display options I have moved Aircraft Vehicle Density and Road Vehicles sliders full left. In fact I have tried with all sliders full left and still have the background noise on the ground.

ggwertzde: The addon list is just about too long to list but Included is Flight Commander, PP3, Ultimate Traffic, GEX, FEX, Ultimate Terrain, Active Sky Evolution, Rwy Info, ISG FMC and gauges, and a hanger full of third party aircraft. I probably overlooked the culprit in my list. I strongly suspect that you are right and one of these somewhere is the culprit. I know of nothing here I really want to do away with, and it would be a great task to isolate which might be causing the  background noise. At some time in the future I will follow your advice and by a process of elimination see if one of these addons is the problem.

I am not certain, but reasonably sure that the noise is specific to being on the ground. I did not realize this until I realized that once in the air I was primarily hearing the engine or environment noise that could be turned down with the sliders (Most birds, see Very Bumpy above). Not so on the ground. I probably will just live with this for the time being. By cycling between outside view and cockpit view, the volume of the noise can be reduced or sometimes virtually done away with. If worse comes to worse I can hit the "Q" key to mute everything except communication with PF3 temporarily.

Thanks for the suggestions:

RTH

Edit: For what it is worth, there is no sign of this background noise in FS9.

I'm experiencing the same issue and don't have nearly as much addons as Rhodges. In fact, my sound issues are not limited to this one issue. I'm also experiencing 'sound fadeouts'. For example, when landing and the wheels touch the ground, the sound of the engine (i.e. C172) fades out temporarily. It's as if two sound files can't be played simultaneously. If anyone has any ideas, please share them.

JJ

You could post a sound clip of the noise, maybe someone recognizes it.

Peter

Just to be clear, when I said addons, I meant scenery/airport added noises, not aircraft.