Sign in to follow this  
bartgast

Advice on a new PC for Prepar3d V3

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a new PC to get a better simming experience using Prepar3d V3 and the usual add-ons (PMDG aircraft, OrbX scenery,REX Soft Clouds, Active sky Next and airport scenery). I am thinking of buying a PC with these specs:

Geforce GTX 750 TI GPU

I5 4690K CPU

8GB DDR3 RAM

500 GB Sata2 Harddisk

Gigabyte H81M Motherboard

550 Watt PSU

Cooler master 342 Case

(I'm not able to overclock because my dad doesn't allow it)

This is pretty much the limit of my budget (because I'm only 15). Do you think this is the best I can get for my budget or do I need to downgrade something to upgrade something else?

I hope you can help me.

Best wishes,

Bart

Are you capable of building a PC from scratch? If so consider buying second hand components, you can purchases parts that were high end 18 months - 2 years ago that would stomp all over the specs of that new build you've listed.

• Upvote 1

MSFS & XP11 - Aviatek G1000 Complex Desktop Trainer - Fulcrum One Yoke - TPR Rudder Pedals - VF TQ6 Throttle - LG 55" OLED Display

Are you capable of building a PC from scratch? If so consider buying second hand components, you can purchases parts that were high end 18 months - 2 years ago that would stomp all over the specs of that new build you've listed.

Yes I'm letting it to be build from scratch, the problem is that my dad won't allow me to build it myself. He wants it to be build by someone professional so I can't use second handed parts...

The CPU is ok, although you really should be overclocking it. With a decent cooler overclocking is perfectly safe if you follow a reliable guide online (tell your dad to chill!!)

The only part that is not really up to scratch for P3D is the 750Ti; it's quite a low performance card with only 2Gb VRAM.

You will have to be realistic with your expectations of what performance you can achieve with this level of system; it will certainly run P3Dv3 but you will have to be careful with the extra visual options such as shadows, HDR and reflections as these push the GPU hard.

What is your total budget and where do you live? Perhaps somebody can find a better system for the money you have?

MSFS & XP11 - Aviatek G1000 Complex Desktop Trainer - Fulcrum One Yoke - TPR Rudder Pedals - VF TQ6 Throttle - LG 55" OLED Display

The CPU is ok, although you really should be overclocking it. With a decent cooler overclocking is perfectly safe if you follow a reliable guide online (tell your dad to chill!!)

The only part that is not really up to scratch for P3D is the 750Ti; it's quite a low performance card with only 2Gb VRAM.

You will have to be realistic with your expectations of what performance you can achieve with this level of system; it will certainly run P3Dv3 but you will have to be careful with the extra visual options such as shadows, HDR and reflections as these push the GPU hard.

What is your total budget and where do you live? Perhaps somebody can find a better system for the money you have?

I live in the Netherlands and my budget is €750,-. Thanks for the advice, do you think I could get it running at 20+ fps with medium to high settings? (Not max)

I live in the Netherlands and my budget is €750,-. Thanks for the advice, do you think I could get it running at 20+ fps with medium to high settings? (Not max)

Honestly with that gpu I don't think so. I would want a gtx670 gtx770 minimum.

Matt Wilson

Do you think I could get a cheaper CPU and a somewhat better GPU?

Yes.

Even an old 2500k overclocked runs P3D great.

Gotta have a great GPU though, and the 750ti isn't it. If you were in the US, I'd say get a 970 4GB, as they are about the best bang for the buck card out there (you can get them used under $300 all day). But I'm not sure what those cost in Europe.

No I would stay with that cpu. Maybe upgrade your gpu down the road when budget allows. Or find an used gpu. Did u check out the classified section?

Matt Wilson

No I would stay with that cpu. Maybe upgrade your gpu down the road when budget allows. Or find an used gpu. Did u check out the classified section?

Thanks, I didn't check there yet

Did you mean a 970 with a 770 minimum? The 670 is a lesser card.

It's a balancing game - too little CPU and the "good" GPU can bottleneck it. And vice versa.

When you say your Dad won't allow you to clock the cpu - is he talking about the built in Turbo mode that some cpui's have also?

The closer you can get to 4ghz, the better off you will be.

That said - *IF* you get your settings in a good balance with the system specs you have, you should be able to get a smooth 20fps.

I run my system at a smooth 20 and it's perfect - some people can't get it smooth at 20 and have to go higher. Whatever system you get, shoot for the LOWEST FPS you can get with a SMOOTH operation - that will free up your system a tad - no point using up resources chasing FPS if you are already smooth.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Yes.

Even an old 2500k overclocked runs P3D great.

Gotta have a great GPU though, and the 750ti isn't it. If you were in the US, I'd say get a 970 4GB, as they are about the best bang for the buck card out there (you can get them used under $300 all day). But I'm not sure what those cost in Europe.

Thanks, I'll check it out

Did you mean a 970 with a 770 minimum? The 670 is a lesser card.It's a balancing game - too little CPU and the "good" GPU can bottleneck it. And vice versa.When you say your Dad won't allow you to clock the cpu - is he talking about the built in Turbo mode that some cpui's have also?The closer you can get to 4ghz, the better off you will be.That said - *IF* you get your settings in a good balance with the system specs you have, you should be able to get a smooth 20fps.I run my system at a smooth 20 and it's perfect - some people can't get it smooth at 20 and have to go higher. Whatever system you get, shoot for the LOWEST FPS you can get with a SMOOTH operation - that will free up your system a tad - no point using up resources chasing FPS if you are already smooth.Vic

I meant the 670 or 770 minimum. I just upgraded from the 670 and it ran p3d good if u were easy on the AA and shadow settings.

Matt Wilson

Did you mean a 970 with a 770 minimum? The 670 is a lesser card.It's a balancing game - too little CPU and the "good" GPU can bottleneck it. And vice versa.When you say your Dad won't allow you to clock the cpu - is he talking about the built in Turbo mode that some cpui's have also?The closer you can get to 4ghz, the better off you will be.That said - *IF* you get your settings in a good balance with the system specs you have, you should be able to get a smooth 20fps.I run my system at a smooth 20 and it's perfect - some people can't get it smooth at 20 and have to go higher. Whatever system you get, shoot for the LOWEST FPS you can get with a SMOOTH operation - that will free up your system a tad - no point using up resources chasing FPS if you are already smooth.Vic

Thanks for the reply,

He doesn't want me to change the settings in a way that it affects the hardware too much, which is a shame. Do you think I will be able to have add-on scenery running on it like FlyTampa or not?

Your spec is similar to mine and you should be able to run P3D well enough with mid range settings. One thing in your favour is that LM consider performance to be a key consideration and have show it by making performance fixes in each release. It's not the case that you need more power as each new version come out like in the FS days. 3.1 runs better than v2 did for me and that's key as your machine does not give you any headroom.

Addons are a different matter and I don't think you can throw too many at it but i think your spec looks okay if you are on a budget.

I seen people with the latest and greatest PCs complaining about performance. It's all about what is acceptable to you. Have fun