Sign in to follow this  
bartgast

Advice on a new PC for Prepar3d V3

Your spec is similar to mine and you should be able to run P3D well enough with mid range settings. One thing in your favour is that LM consider performance to be a key consideration and have show it by making performance fixes in each release. It's not the case that you need more power as each new version come out like in the FS days. 3.1 runs better than v2 did for me and that's key as your machine does not give you any headroom.

Addons are a different matter and I don't think you can throw too many at it but i think your spec looks okay if you are on a budget.

I seen people with the latest and greatest PCs complaining about performance. It's all about what is acceptable to you. Have fun

Thank you for the wise words! :)

Thanks for the reply,

He doesn't want me to change the settings in a way that it affects the hardware too much, which is a shame. Do you think I will be able to have add-on scenery running on it like FlyTampa or not?

If it's the 4690K it is easily overclockable within built in limits that would give you a boost but not harm your system. Pushing the boundaries is where you get into trouble.

With trade off settings you should be able to run most of the new stuff - possibly not all at the same time. For example, ruinning a PMDG aircraft over Fly Tampa scenery using ASN weather with 5 cloud layers in heavy TStorms with high AA would be a BIG problem. :) But with modest settings - you should be fine.

Vic

I meant the 670 or 770 minimum. I just upgraded from the 670 and it ran p3d good if u were easy on the AA and shadow settings.

ok, got confused - since he is going with a GTX750TI I didn't understand your recommending a 670 which is a significantly lesser card that the 750.

EDIT: I revisited the benchmarks and you are correct - the GTX670 outperforms the GTX750TI by a large margin!

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I wouldn't skimp on the GPU.

Even if you have to buy an old used 680, do that. 770 4GB is a good card as well and cheap used.

Anything under the -70 series of the different generations is not what you want (yes, I realize some make it work, but it's not ideal).

If it's the 4690K it is easily overclockable within built in limits that would give you a boost but not harm your system. Pushing the boundaries is where you get into trouble.With trade off settings you should be able to run most of the new stuff - possibly not all at the same time. For example, ruinning a PMDG aircraft over Fly Tampa scenery using ASN weather with 5 cloud layers in heavy TStorms with high AA would be a BIG problem. :) But with modest settings - you should be fine.Vicok, got confused - since he is going with a GTX750TI I didn't understand your recommending a 670 which is a significantly lesser card that the 750.EDIT: I revisited the benchmarks and you are correct - the GTX670 outperforms the GTX750TI by a large margin!Vic

Thanks!

I wouldn't skimp on the GPU.

Even if you have to buy an old used 680, do that. 770 4GB is a good card as well and cheap used.

Anything under the -70 series of the different generations is not what you want (yes, I realize some make it work, but it's not ideal).

Thanks I will look into it!

Overclocking with bclk is ofter unstable, at some point. However, not the case here with 4690K

I second what has been said, a reasonable OC on a -K series, only done with the internal multiplier, is totally safe.

Provided that you mount a good cooler (air or liquid, just get the higher-end stuff that you can afford, for example Noctua for air-based cooling).

Since you're not gonna build the machine yourself, your assembler is probably able to do that in a professional manner, and have it tested and proven totally safe.

Rememer that K CPUs (and to the extent, most modern CPUs) are purposedly _designed_ for OC.

OCing is not breaching any rules  (Apart Dad's own) :-)

Overclocking with bclk is ofter unstable, at some point. However, not the case here with 4690K

I second what has been said, a reasonable OC on a -K series, only done with the internal multiplier, is totally safe.

Provided that you mount a good cooler (air or liquid, just get the higher-end stuff that you can afford, for example Noctua for air-based cooling).

Since you're not gonna build the machine yourself, your assembler is probably able to do that in a professional manner, and have it tested and proven totally safe.

Rememer that K CPUs (and to the extent, most modern CPUs) are purposedly _designed_ for OC.

OCing is not breaching any rules  (Apart Dad's own) :-)

Thanks for the answer,

I'm totally fine with OCing but, as you said, my dad isn't

I have an ASrock motherboard. It has an "quick" overclocking ability where you literally just select a preset (it goes up to 4.6ghz for my 2500k, which is really high). I don't use it as it generally uses more voltage then it needs (which is still totally safe, but I did it manually to get the absolute lowest voltages and temps).

The point is, you don't have to set voltages, multipliers, deal with pci voltages, set step voltage, etc. and can do a light overclock with zero work or risk.

Just about every motherboard maker has the same functionality within the BIOS these days.

Maybe if you show your dad exactly what it entails, he'll change his mind. -K series processors are made to be overclocked and they all use speed step so they do not run at high clocks unless they are under load.

Either way, I use a $25 Coolermaster single fan cooler on my 2500k and run at 4.7ghz. No heat issues at all. You don't need liquid cooling unless you are going to go extremely toward the limits (which for a 2500k is about 5.0ghz).

I have an ASrock motherboard. It has an "quick" overclocking ability where you literally just select a preset (it goes up to 4.6ghz for my 2500k, which is really high). I don't use it as it generally uses more voltage then it needs (which is still totally safe, but I did it manually to get the absolute lowest voltages and temps).

The point is, you don't have to set voltages, multipliers, deal with pci voltages, set step voltage, etc. and can do a light overclock with zero work or risk.

Just about every motherboard maker has the same functionality within the BIOS these days.

Maybe if you show your dad exactly what it entails, he'll change his mind. -K series processors are made to be overclocked and they all use speed step so they do not run at high clocks unless they are under load.

Either way, I use a $25 Coolermaster single fan cooler on my 2500k and run at 4.7ghz. No heat issues at all. You don't need liquid cooling unless you are going to go extremely toward the limits (which for a 2500k is about 5.0ghz).

Thanks, maybe this can convince my dad!

Thanks, maybe this can convince my dad!

If he'd like to post his concerns, have him use your account and ask and we'll be glad to answer his questions.

The modern CPU's are DESIGNED to be overclocked and have a built in process to do so. Staying within the built in limits is no more dangerous than simply turning the computer on. Over clocking OUTSIDE of the built in speeds requires more care. I agree, if you're having a "pro" build it for you, he should be able to do a modest clock that will benefit you and not harm the system.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

If he'd like to post his concerns, have him use your account and ask and we'll be glad to answer his questions.The modern CPU's are DESIGNED to be overclocked and have a built in process to do so. Staying within the built in limits is no more dangerous than simply turning the computer on. Over clocking OUTSIDE of the built in speeds requires more care. I agree, if you're having a "pro" build it for you, he should be able to do a modest clock that will benefit you and not harm the system.Vic

Thanks I will ask him :)