Sign in to follow this  
bbuckley

Black Texture Popping

I’ve been trying to eliminate very occasional black (or blue over water) texture pops in intense areas. System specs below. I run with all settings at max except traffic and mostly the graphics are excellent with 40 to 60+ FPS. I have NI set to NickN’s recommended settings.

It seems like making a change in fsx.cfg is much like making a change in one element of your golf swing. It’s so interrelated that you have to really be an expert. If not, any tweak works for a max of 4 holes. :wink: So I’m seeking some expert help here at the pro shop… Given my system should I be doing something different with the fsx.cfg specifically bufferpools or other texture settings? Relevant sections below.
Thanks for any insights!
Bruce

FSX boxed DX9 with Acceleration, WIN 8.1 64bit, i7-4790K @4.32GHz, GTX 970 4GB, 16GB DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD

[GRAPHICS]
TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096
AC_SELF_SHADOW=0
EFFECTS_QUALITY=2
ForceFullScreenVSync=1
ForceWindowedVSync=1
GROUND_SHADOWS=0
HIGHMEMFIX=1
TEXTURE_QUALITY=3
IMAGE_QUALITY=0
See_Self=1

[bufferPools]
UsePools=1
Poolsize=8388608                        Can I change this to 10MB (10485760)?
RejectThreshold=126976

[Display]
TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=120

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=116                          HT On (This from Steve W whom I try to follow closely!

[Main]
Fiber_Frame_Time_Faction=0.15

[TERRAIN]
LOD_RADIUS=6.500000
MESH_COMPLEXITY=100
MESH_RESOLUTION=25
TEXTURE_RESOLUTION=29
AUTOGEN_DENSITY=4
DETAIL_TEXTURE=1
WATER_EFFECTS=4

[sCENERY]
LENSFLARE=1
DAWN_DUSK_SMOOTHING=1
IMAGE_COMPLEXITY=5

[CPL]  I9-9900K @5.0GHz HT ON, Maximus XI Hero, ASUS TUF RTX4080 OC, 32GB DDR4 3200 14, 1TB NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 40" Samsung 4K TV, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Logitech Rudder Pedals, WIN11

Do you see this while panning? I have seen it occasionally but bery rarely. I think this occurs when your gfx card gets overloaded and maybe related to bufferpools? You have a pretty powerful machine there so have you tried a clean cfg file and see if you are still get the same result

My youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/c/Dkentflyer

You don't need to use buffer pools on powerful graphics cards, It was a useful tweak years ago when GPU's couldn't keep up with all the data the CPU was sending but these days it's the CPU that is the limiting factor. Remove all the stuff related to pools and then place

[bufferPools]

UsePools=0

You should see an increase in performance and it may get rid of the black textures.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Thanks both!  I set it to UsePools=0 and flew today but still had some polys popping.  Today it was over ocean textures.  I use REX4 TD with SC at the highest res and some pretty intense airport scenery.  Is there a book or guide somewhere that gives the definitions and impacts of the different settings i.e. TBM or FFTF?

[CPL]  I9-9900K @5.0GHz HT ON, Maximus XI Hero, ASUS TUF RTX4080 OC, 32GB DDR4 3200 14, 1TB NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 40" Samsung 4K TV, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Logitech Rudder Pedals, WIN11

Thanks both!  I set it to UsePools=0 and flew today but still had some polys popping.  Today it was over ocean textures.  I use REX4 TD with SC at the highest res and some pretty intense airport scenery.  Is there a book or guide somewhere that gives the definitions and impacts of the different settings i.e. TBM or FFTF?

Try using lower Res Rex Textures. I get some black pops too but I've learned to live with it. Mine only last for the blink of an eye

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

You could also try some free shaders for FSX DX10 that will make better use of your hardware. You have a DX10+ card, and it's only using DX9 for your FSX setup. So, mind as well put everything it has to good use.

I received a lot less black textures when I switched over to DX10.

Yep, with FSX you will never completely eliminate the texture popping, especially when the texture is a light or other effect.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

I have these all the time with FSX.  However, I have not seen them now that I use FSX-SE.  Note: do not touch the fsx.cfg created by FSX-SE, applying tweaks for FSX blindly to FSX-SE will cause problem.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

I have these all the time with FSX.  However, I have not seen them now that I use FSX-SE.  Note: do not touch the fsx.cfg created by FSX-SE, applying tweaks for FSX blindly to FSX-SE will cause problem.

I tweaked it with the same tweaks I use on My FSX.cfg and It gained me about 10fps so it's worth the risk since if you mess something up just delete the .cfg fIle and fsx-se will rebuild the default.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

FSX is not perfect.. it is one of those things.. :wink:

Yep I still have it on occasion.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I've tried DX10 a couple times but didn't like the results.  Maybe I'll try a gain.  Is there a good guide to the NI and fsx.cfg settings optimal for DX10?  Steve's Fixer and guides?

I implemented some shader cache settings and increased the poolsize and fiber frame rate fraction and it looks great.  Changes below. Still got one pop for a flash but overall pretty good.  If that's just FSX I can live with it.

[GRAPHICS]
SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED_10=1693500673
SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED=1693500673
SHADER_CACHE_VERSION=1
STALE_BUFFER_THRESHOLD=2147483647

[bufferPools]
UsePools=1
PoolSize=10485760
RejectThreshold=126976

[Main]
Fiber_Frame_Time_Faction=0.20