Sign in to follow this  
ErichB

New monitor: LG 55UF680V UHD or Samsung UE55ju6445

Just wondering whether anyone has either of these, and of so whether you had any comments about it for flightsim use. I won't be using this as a TV, it'll strictly be a flightsim monitor.

I'm looking to pick one up at Currys PC World on Saturday.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/lg-55uf680v-smart-ultra-hd-4k-55-led-tv-10135233-pdt.html

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/samsung-ue55ju6445-smart-ultra-hd-4k-55-led-tv-10124851-pdt.html

Any comments appreciated.

Enrich,

How far will you be sitting from the screen? They are absolutely huge for flight sim.

Before I committed to my Sony 32" TV 1920*1080 I took a screenshot from my Dell 24" (same resolution) and put it on a USB stick and checked in store so I could see what the quality would look like. You might think about doing the same.

Also be aware of fps given the very high resolution. You'll need a serious graphics card.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Ray I already have a 40' 4K Philips monitor. The resolution/distance and fps are not really an issue - I also upgraded to a GTX 970 4GB card when I bought that.

It's more the functionality, opinion on colour quality etc that I'm interested in. Although I suspect they are all much of a muchness these days.

Understood Erich. Your graphics card is certainly up to the job.

I took quite some time to optimise the display when I bought my Sony. The default settings are for TV pictures and getting them tuned for a computer display took a while. Things like sharpness have to be turned off.

Of the two I would rate Samsung ahead of LG purely based on the number of Best Buys Samsung get.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I was going to say. Whatever you get make sure it supports an array of different refresh rates. I'd be looking for 30hz, 40hz, 50hz and 60hz. But since you both a TV I figure it will at least support 30hz and 60hz

Just wondering whether anyone has either of these, and of so whether you had any comments about it for flightsim use. I won't be using this as a TV, it'll strictly be a flightsim monitor.

I'm looking to pick one up at Currys PC World on Saturday.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/lg-55uf680v-smart-ultra-hd-4k-55-led-tv-10135233-pdt.html

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/samsung-ue55ju6445-smart-ultra-hd-4k-55-led-tv-10124851-pdt.html

Any comments appreciated.

Those are TVs not monitors, there is a big difference between them. 

Asus Rampage VI Extreme Encore(water Cooled) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Hybrid, 64 DD4 @ 2800 2 x 2x M.2 in raid 0.

I know they are TV's.

The one I have opted for has a native 60Hz refresh rate.  I have only ever used 60Hz on my current monitor.  There are many here who now use TV's.  Pure monitors are limited in size currently to 40 inch.

For smooth game play in P3D you will get great results 30hz, 40hz and in some cases 50hz. Much akin to the results observed using the 1/2 refresh rate method with FSX looked at 30fps only better. I think a maintained frame rate of 60fps on decent setting in Flight Sim is still a good bit down the road and getting smooth game play at a frame rate that is less than your display refresh rate is basically impossible unless you are using Gsync.

Erich,
In case it's any use, there's a good guide for setting up Sumsung TV's for gaming here:

http://hardforum.com...-guide.1869675/

I'm sure a lot of AVSIM folk would know this stuff - but it was news to me...
Eugene

Eugene many thanks.  This will be handy!  I'm driving to Bristol from London tomorrow morning to collect it. Otherwise it would have been a Tuesday delivery, so timing is perfect.

Just some feedback on this incase it is of value to anyone.  I am running it at 60Hz native setting at 4K.  I have equivalent performance to my previous monitor which was the 4K 40' Philips monitor.  The colours are incredible and going from 40' to 55' is massively different.  The immersion is quite something.

@Eugene, thanks for your handy link to the Samsung 4K TV setup for gaming.  I would have fumbled about without it -  the guide helped tremendously.

I am running it at 60Hz native setting at 4K.

What's your frame rate? Are you running unlimited? Vsync on of off?

Erich, it would be great if you could post a photo showing how you are sitting relative to the wonderful giant screen!  I find it difficult to imagine what the overall effect must be like.

Bryn