Sign in to follow this  
Guest bobsk8

How do you plan your flights?

I would like to know how my fellow co-pilots plan their commercial IFR flights with MSATC and online services like IVAO/VATSIM.In real life, pilots know exactly (well, 90% of the time) what runway they'll be departing from and arriving at, mostly, of course, depending on the weather. Usually, all the SID/STARs are carefully planned beforehand, filed and then entered in the FMC. Not so with MSATC or online ATC. With MSATC, for example, you know about the active runway when you ask for taxi clearance, so you can only then start planning for the SID, which makes it quite hectic in the cockpit before departure - same with the arrival. You usually get the active from ATIS and then maybe 80-90 miles before landing.How and when do you plan and enter all data in the FMC? Are there any tricks or hints?Gosh, I can't wait for RCv4 ;-)Thanks,Pat

Pat,I try to plan for my flights as close as possible as you describe the "in real life" thing. When not flying on-line, I listen to ATIS for the departure and arrival airports. It will give me an idea what runway is being used for departure and arrival respectively. When flying on-line, I look at the Wx and guess on departure and arrival runways. Sometimes the VATSIM/IVAO controller posts ATIS, to include the runway in use. And sometimes, if there's only one controller doing center/approach/tower/ground, I just ask what runway to expect. Now, in real life one has to also expect ATC changes, and I understand that real life ATPs have to enter FMC changes on the fly. So, one practices, expects, and anticipates. That's the trick I use.Regards,Dave Vega

dv

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

My Files in the AVSIM Library

Guest Armstrang

I use canned plans with departures and arrivals aligned with the prevailing winds. It is easy to change a departure and file with VATSIM upon starting up the sim. I build the most expected departures and arrivals right into the plan and change it if I have to. I use Apollo for enroute, and, if I have to change the departure or arrival, I switch to GNS530 or GNS430, depending on the plane.

Guest aafuss

I use ATIS and the ATC, plus FS Navigator and the GPS.

I use the ATIS to find out departure runways. Before I get that far I use my aeronautical charts to plan my flights, as far as routes, airways, navaids, etc. Then I try and match this up as closely as possible in FS9. There are plenty of online websites to get real life route information, charts, etc. The only part I do not plan for is the arrival approach. That I do not know until I get their. Just like a real life pilot you can anticipate what runway and approach you will be given, but you never really know for sure until the controler gives you your landing clearence. In FS9, just like real life you can always request an approach if you have your heart set on the ILS, VOR or GPS approach.That is the long and short of it....Kev

I wonder if anyone has my problem. First, I try to decide what aircraft I'm going to fly. Am I in the mood for heavy iron? Do I want to go tree-top skimming?Next, I try to pick an origin and destination that will be about two hours apart, depending on the aircraft I pick. Two hours is my MBTIC factor (or Maximum Butt Time In Chair), so it's my standard FS limit. Other criteria for the flight include quality of scenery--and by that I mean land and water features, geographical points of interest, etc., rather than good scenery add-on craftsmanship. Once the plane, origin, and destination are picked, it's time for a flight plan. VFR takes the longest to plot, because I usually go nav-aid to nav-aid, and so on.Next up is music. I've gotta have some tunes, and I can't be content to play a CD while I fly, no sirree. I have to set up Robert Clark's CD/AM/FM radio gauge with SPECIFIC music for the flight. That means Jimmy Buffett and Bob Marley if I'm in the Caribbean, or Spandau Ballet (and other 80's euro-pop bands) if I'm doing Europe, etc.Finally, gotta have something to drink and munch on. Usually Mountain Dew and whatever leftovers are available (or the old standby-- Doritos). So now, I'm ready for the flight, right? Well, sorta... except all this preflight preparation hs exceeded my MBTIC factor, so I suck down the Dew and snacks, take a shower, and go to bed.I swear I spend more time NOT flying while FS is running than vice versa. Anyone else like that?

"No matter how eloquent you are or how solidly and firm you've built your case, you will never win in an argument with an idiot, for he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous.

Hello,as I fly in Europe mostly I use the VACC-SAG Flightplan Center (http://fpc.vacc-sag.org) to retrieve a route. Short-range flights are planned without a detailed fuel planning, for long-range flights I use FS Build 2 to calculate fuel burn requirements and to take winds into account. Charts are stored electronically on my second PC, and that

Guest bobsk8

I look up who is online on Vatsim using Servinfo. I see where the controllers are and , I usually look for a Center, since flying into an airport with just ground control is normally not very usefull. I also look at how long the controller has been at his station. If I see someone with 30 mins on time, I figure there is a good possibility he or she will be on when I arrive an hour later. If the controller has already been on 2 3/4 hours, they might sign off before I get there. This works about 90% of the time.Now I get a flight plan using simroutes.com and plug it into FSNAV. I get the STAR for the arrival airport that has a starting point that is close to the direction that I am approaching from. Then I just sign onto Vatsim and file the flight plan with the controller and proceed from there. If I have to chnge things on the fly, that's fine, because that is the way it is in real life. They can switch a runway on you at the last second, due to a sudden wind shift. Happens all the time........