Sign in to follow this  
andreadebiase

SID and STAR source on the web

hi,

I have been a long time simmer but never beyond the default FSX planes and recently got the 737NGX which is very exciting and i think i finally mastered the tutorial 1 flight, meaning doing it without manual. Anyway, my question to you all is what is your preferred source of charts for flight planning? where do you get your SID STARS and airways mostly from? I googled around and there are many and i think i could put together a few things from this and that website but is there a specific and comprehensive nav web site where one can get all the info?

thank you

You're not only going to need charts, but also NAV data for the 737 NGX, to have all the right SIDs and STARs in its databank and for both NAV-data and all the charts you need, you can go to Navigraph.com and for like $10 a month you have a subscription with which you can download the latest charts, as well as the matching NAV-data to go with it and this should be always up to date.

You're going to need both, or else you get into trouble with miss-matches between the routes in the 737 database and the charts.

There are also free websites, but you're never sure if you've got the matching version with your NAV-data and the NAV-data can only be obtained through Navigraph, so you'll need the subscription anyways, to keep your NAV-data up to date.

Cheers!

Maarten

Agreed on the Navigraph, its a must have, and totally worth it.

The goto for airport data is airnav.com

You can get any sid, star, all runway frequencies, all available approaches, airport diagrams, elevations, everything. You can even get coordinates for any waypoint or navigational aid.

Also become a member at SimBrief.com (its free). The route planner is excellent. Even comes up with pretty accurate ascent and descent info to help you with planning. Most routes between major cities are covered (at least in the US) and most of them are real world routes. You can also export the plans to be read by FSX or ASN. Also verifies that the route works with the current NAV data.

If you happen upon a plan that is not available, you'll need to check out skyvector.com and plan your own route. Once you come up with your own route, you can enter that into simbrief and verify that it works with current NAV data as well. 

Thank you this helps!

I am familiar with AirNav, i have been using it get airport charts in pdf (mostly to get properly aligned for landing) but the chart has many more info that i now really need. Navigraph is instead new to me. I will check it out. 

Do you have any opinion on http://onlineflightplanner.org/

I never used that onlineflight planner, before simbrief I went to the source: flightaware.com. There you can get the actual published routes between major cities. Cross check that with the FAA's preferred routes at

http://www.fly.faa.gov/rmt/nfdc_preferred_routes_database.jsp

I think simbrief uses a search engine that utilizes many online sources for flight plans, so thats your one stop shop. Of course unless a route doesn't exist (for example tonight Im flying Green Bay to Duluth (KGRB to KDLH). A route doesnt exist so I went to skyvector​ and there you can look at VFR maps, IFR HI & LO maps. I was able to identify a VFR LO jetway that runs between Green Bay and Duluth so I used that route. No SIDS or STARS because none exist for those two smaller airports.

Do you have any opinion on http://onlineflightplanner.org/ ?
I noticed the fuel required for a route comes from FuelPlanner which I have used in the past with CS planes several years ago. FuelPlanner does not take into account the winds aloft.

AirNav has been on my favorites list for a long time.... note that they only cover US locations.  I started using Navigraph's desktop map application a few months ago and I'm past the learning curve (I've used FAA NACO charts all my life) and am 100% a fan now.

PFPX is my planner of choice. It makes it easy to visualize how sids and stars look on the map and has pretty good ETOPS planning tools.  I moved to PFPX when I started flying the 777 but now I've found quite a few NGX ETOPS routes including KEWR-EKCH (the longest I've found).

Dan Downs KCRP