Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

Blue Crosses on flight displays

Just loaded my MD-11 for the first time in a while and the cockpit instruments show big blue crosses. I know this probably means it isn't installed correctly (yes, before anyone suggests it, or that it's an illegal copy: rest assured, it's not: I have the original CD-ROM ... :smile: )

Is there any way to get the a/c back to proper operation (maybe using the PMDG CD-ROM, or my installation key?) or is the only solution to reinstall from scratch?

Why would this happen? It was all OK when I last flew the a/c and I haven't changed any hardware or whatever?

Thanks. (I'd post at PMDG, but I think they are no longer interested in FS9).

Those type of indications indicate that the product wasn't validated or the validation was lost. Please uninstall the product from the Remove software control panel and then reinstall and revalidate and it should work for you.

Paul Gollnick

Manager Customer/Technical Support

Precision Manuals Development Group

www.precisionmanuals.com

PMDG_NGX_Dev_Team.jpg

OK, I guess that's not a huge burden! I have a lot of 'tweaked' files, but I can doubtless just overwrite the reinstalled version with my backup (careful with aircraft.cfg I seem to recall as there is some validation info there?).

Thanks.

EDIT. Now I recall why I wanted to avoid reinstallation - when I run FS9 now after uninstalling/reinstalling the MD-11, it (FS9) won't start - 'terrain.dll file is missing or corrupt' (it was missing). Weather.dll has also been deleted. They were certainly there before I reinstalled the MD11.

Also when I run FS9 (having restored the dll files) it now reports it cannot find the FS9/scenery/Afri folder - sure enough, it's all been deleted. Incredible!! I ran FS9 with no problems literally one minute before the MD-11 reinstallation, so there's no other possible cause. How/why could the PMDG disc erase these folders though? Makes no sense.

And worse is to come.. when I load up a flight, (having restored the Afri scenery and the dll files from a backup) say the default flight, all my skies and all my runways are now clear white, no textures. God., I really hate MS Flight Simulator sometimes. Hours of troubleshooting now no doubt. This is what my default flight now looks like, I guess the PMDG operation deleted a lot more files than was at first apparent.

PMDG.jpg

Thanks. I don't know - that would be a last resort! No idea what that might mess up. I copied my texture folder back from an external backup and all is now OK again. I've posted a warning on the PMDG forum about this, something is seriously amiss. Had I not had a recent backup (fortunately less than 24 hours old) I would have, well, I don't really know to be honest!

Luckily (this would have been the icing on the cake otherwise!) the MD-11 now loads with flight instruments all showing as normal...

I'd post at PMDG, but I think they are no longer interested in FS9

No longer interested in developing for FS9. Support continues through April of this year for the MD-11.

Full names are required in the forum here. I was going to look your info up in our system to help figure out what's going on, but without this info, I can't. I can look up what's going on, but I'll need your name to do it.

Kyle Rodgers

Hello Kyle. I thought my full name was in my profile somewhere here, but no: I just added a signature, so it's there now.

I've bought CD-ROM versions of FS9 PMDG products over the years, 737s, 747, MD11... (through Amazon probably, though I no longer recall exactly to be honest), but I am (or at least, was) registered on the PMDG database, I've certainly posted on the forums in the past and may have bought some items through download on the PMDG site (but I don't recall doing so)...

Be good to know what happened with the MD11 tonight - to be specific, the 'Repair Installation' option deleted the contents of the FS2004/Aircraft/PMDG MD-11 & MD-11F folders, apart from the two aircraft.cfg files, the entire FS2004/scenery/Afri folder (odd!), the two dll files I mentioned from the Modules folder and the entire FS2004/Texture folder... I suppose there is no installation log produced? I had no folders open at all in Windows Explorer, or any other programmes running at the same time...

Thanks,

Martin