Sign in to follow this  
vin747

Should I buy PMDG 777?

A year ago, I think i made a bad flightsim decision.. I was trying to save on money and bought CS 777 instead of PMDG 777.. the night lighting is bad, flight dynamics, engine/APU start sequence inaccurate, etc.. I was euphoric at the money I saved but I'm finding out all the little flaws of the CS 777 over time that are now shadowing whatever monetary benefit I gained.. I'm seriously considering retiring my CS 777 in the Mojave desert and thinking about buying PMDG 777.  Wanted to hear from the community if this is a good decision. 

If I'm going to buy it, any idea when the best deals are out there? Should I wait for black friday/thanksgiving sale etc? Does PMDG typically offer big discounts during holiday sales? I see that Aerosoft is selling PMDG base 777 at 67 Euro which is about 15-20 $ cheaper than the PMDG website.. 

I'm all ears for suggestions and advise... 

Cheers.

Vinod Kumar.

Vinod Kumar

i9 10900K 5.3 Ghz, RTX 3090, 32GB RAM, Win 10 Pro.

Alpha-Yoke, Bravo-Throttles, ThrustMaster-Sidestick & Quadrant, TM-Rudder, LG 32" 1080p.

one more question i had  - I saw a youtube video of PMDG 777-300ER Turkish airlines which had blue cockpit lighting.. this was awesome and even better than the green back lighting.. Is this an option offered only with the turkish livery? 

here is the link for the video if you want to check it out.. 

Vinod Kumar

Alpha-Yoke, Bravo-Throttles, ThrustMaster-Sidestick & Quadrant, TM-Rudder, LG 32" 1080p.

I don't think PMDG offer discounts, but go for their products. You won't be disappointed. I only use PMDG products. If you do a search in the forums, you will find comparisons with the product you mention.

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

As far as I know, PMDG never does sales (they definitely didn't do a sale in the last two years). Don't know about resellers like Aerosoft. The PMDG 777 is absolutely worth it. Together with the NGX and the Majestic Q400 the best airliner out there.

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

As far as I know, PMDG never does sales (they definitely didn't do a sale in the last two years). Don't know about resellers like Aerosoft. The PMDG 777 is absolutely worth it. Together with the NGX and the Majestic Q400 the best airliner out there.

Totally agree...I recall PMDG having a "special offer" when they initially released their 777 base package for P3D......but after a limited time, the price reverted to normal. PMDG is well worth the price. And look at the fantastic support (Kyle) which we receive within these forums. When purchasing any product, after sales support is so important. PMDG are excellent in that sphere...you may pay less for other addons, but the support may not be forthcoming.

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

thanks everyone for the advice!

I'll buy it from the aerosoft site.. i did buy the NGX from aerosoft last year and it has been serving me well.. 

does anyone know about the blue cockpit lighting in PMDG 777?   I saw it only in one video and it looks super cool.. in all other videos, lighting is standard green.. 

Kyle - can you verify this? thanks!

Vinod Kumar

thanks everyone for the advice!

I'll buy it from the aerosoft site.. i did buy the NGX from aerosoft last year and it has been serving me well.. 

does anyone know about the blue cockpit lighting in PMDG 777?   I saw it only in one video and it looks super cool.. in all other videos, lighting is standard green.. 

Kyle - can you verify this? thanks!

Rather buy from PMDG as a download...no issue with aerosoft, but updates are a bit delayed with them.

Peter Webber

Rather buy from PMDG as a download...no issue with aerosoft, but updates are a bit delayed with them.

+1, nothing better than a "direct" support and as Peter said you will get updates earlier than with AS (which i'm not criticizing).

Vinod,

I personally do not agree that the PMDG 777 flight dynamics are correct.    I purchased the 777 package for Prepar3d one month ago and right away observed several glaring issues with the fly-by-wire flight modeling.     

Firstly, the PMDG 777 has a serious flaw with normal flare compensation mode logic.   If even a slightly higher than normal glidepath in flown on short final, the PMDG FBW logic will regularly lock out almost all pitch authority (via elevator control effectiveness) just before a normal flare can be accomplished.      This of course results in unavoidable hard landings and is not correct.    Secondly, the same flawed FBW logic will conversely cause the PMDG 777 to 'autoflare' when coming into ground effect, resulting in an unavoidable float if a slightly lower than normal glideslope in flown on short final.    Again, both issues are caused by flawed flare compensation mode logic that has never been addressed by PMDG.     

Please be aware that PMDG can be downright deceptive in being honest about shortcomings with their 777 FBW system.   When PMDG initially released the 777, the manual pitch trim system logic was modeled completely wrong, despite PMDG's claims of having access to exclusive Boeing engineering data and employing real-world 777 pilots on the beta testing team.    PMDG took a full YEAR to properly fix this flaw, and the end result is unfortunately a 'hobbled' pitch trim system that does not work at all like the real 777 system in terms of pilot input.    The real 777 is designed to be trimmed like any other conventional aircraft, but the PMDG 777 manual pitch trim logic requires a difficult, non-intuitive user-input simulation technique that is not at all realistic.   My opinion is that PMDG was never able to completely repair their own mistake and ultimately compromised, sort of 'half-modeling' proper pitch trim FBW logic.    

Systems-wise, the PMDG 777 is indeed a marvel, but the flight modeling is far from perfect.

Regards,

Monty Preston

• Upvote 1

Anything from PMDG is JUST TOO GOOD!

The 777 is for me their masterpiece, and, should I still be an FSX / P3D user, I wouldn't skip their upcoming 744, but unfortunately, I am eagerly awaiting DTG's Flight School and sim, and more on the Combat Flight Simulation camp these days ...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Vinod,

I personally do not agree that the PMDG 777 flight dynamics are correct.    I purchased the 777 package for Prepar3d one month ago and right away observed several glaring issues with the fly-by-wire flight modeling.     

Firstly, the PMDG 777 has a serious flaw with normal flare compensation mode logic.   If even a slightly higher than normal glidepath in flown on short final, the PMDG FBW logic will regularly lock out almost all pitch authority (via elevator control effectiveness) just before a normal flare can be accomplished.      This of course results in unavoidable hard landings and is not correct.    Secondly, the same flawed FBW logic will conversely cause the PMDG 777 to 'autoflare' when coming into ground effect, resulting in an unavoidable float if a slightly lower than normal glideslope in flown on short final.    Again, both issues are caused by flawed flare compensation mode logic that has never been addressed by PMDG.     

Please be aware that PMDG can be downright deceptive in being honest about shortcomings with their 777 FBW system.   When PMDG initially released the 777, the manual pitch trim system logic was modeled completely wrong, despite PMDG's claims of having access to exclusive Boeing engineering data and employing real-world 777 pilots on the beta testing team.    PMDG took a full YEAR to properly fix this flaw, and the end result is unfortunately a 'hobbled' pitch trim system that does not work at all like the real 777 system in terms of pilot input.    The real 777 is designed to be trimmed like any other conventional aircraft, but the PMDG 777 manual pitch trim logic requires a difficult, non-intuitive user-input simulation technique that is not at all realistic.   My opinion is that PMDG was never able to completely repair their own mistake and ultimately compromised, sort of 'half-modeling' proper pitch trim FBW logic.    

Systems-wise, the PMDG 777 is indeed a marvel, but the flight modeling is far from perfect.

Regards,

Monty Preston

Thanks Monty...I am not entirely familiar with the 777 logic...but thanks for enlightening us...this can only be a positive input towards future updates...

Peter Webber

Please be aware that PMDG can be downright deceptive in being honest about shortcomings with their 777 FBW system

Hope  you can back this  statement  up

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

I personally do not agree that the PMDG 777 flight dynamics are correct. I purchased the 777 package for Prepar3d one month ago and right away observed several glaring issues with the fly-by-wire flight modeling.
Do you fly the T7 for an airline in the real world?