Sign in to follow this  
vin747

Should I buy PMDG 777?

I passed by an airport on my way here this morning so I feel I am qualified to answer the question in question: All flight models for all simulated virtual aircraft are wrong and never will be exact in our short lifetime.

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

does anyone know about the blue cockpit lighting in PMDG 777?   I saw it only in one video and it looks super cool.. in all other videos, lighting is standard green.. 

You can change the colors in the PMDG Options > menu of the FMC.

Please be aware that PMDG can be downright deceptive in being honest about shortcomings with their 777 FBW system.

The glaring issues were, initially, the result of a miscommunication. This was communicated. When we found out that it needed to be updated, we were open and honest about that fact. Initially, yes, we stonewalled a bit because right after a release because all you hear is "this is wrong," and "that is wrong," mostly because people didn't bother to read the Intro Manual. Moreover, we had (and do have) access to information that most people here do not have. Beyond that, we had a number of real world (verified - not just random people online who claimed to have flown it) pilots on the Tech Team, along with sim techs and a few other knowledgeable people. We continued to refine it with their feedback, and the last update to that was a result of that. If you have verifiable hours on the type, then I welcome you to submit a ticket with all of your objections to the modeling.

Feedback is always appreciated, but the accusations of deception go a little too far.

Kyle Rodgers

vin747, on 25 Feb 2016 - 11:50 PM, said:

A year ago, I think i made a bad flightsim decision.. I was trying to save on money and bought CS 777 instead of PMDG 777.. the night lighting is bad, flight dynamics, engine/APU start sequence inaccurate, etc.. I was euphoric at the money I saved but I'm finding out all the little flaws of the CS 777 over time that are now shadowing whatever monetary benefit I gained.. I'm seriously considering retiring my CS 777 in the Mojave desert and thinking about buying PMDG 777. Wanted to hear from the community if this is a good decision.

If I'm going to buy it, any idea when the best deals are out there? Should I wait for black friday/thanksgiving sale etc? Does PMDG typically offer big discounts during holiday sales? I see that Aerosoft is selling PMDG base 777 at 67 Euro which is about 15-20 $ cheaper than the PMDG website..

I'm all ears for suggestions and advise...

Cheers.

Vinod Kumar.

Hi, Kumar,

I flew the CS 777 while waiting for the PMDG to come out. The CS was buggy and they were rather slow in fixing even basic ones. I only knew how to fly it at all because I had previously used the PSS (FS9) 777. The PSS came with pretty good documentation, while the CS did not. The PMDG comes with a very good tutorial, plus there is another very good one available on this site by Kyle Rodgers. It also has an overwhelming amount of documentation. I'm curious to know how you even learned to fly the CS version?

PMDG is very good about fixing bugs, and around New Years went to quite a bit of trouble to provide a major update that is lighter on memory usage.

The only real advantage to the CS is eye candy and a full virtual cabin (but no full cockpit if you choose to use the virtual cabin version).

It is true that the download version on Aerosoft's site is somewhat less expensive at the moment than the direct PMDG download. But as Pedro said, there is a delay in getting updates from Aerosoft, as PMDG always wants to be sure their latest version doesn't introduce new bugs before sending it over to Aerosoft.

Monty, I would like to know how you know about proper 777 trim behavior. There are a couple of RW 777 pilots in this forum and I've seen nothing about this (since PMDG did its major FBW fix awhile back).

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

The problem you have is, that you "thought" you was saving money and like many things in real life the cheaper option can turn out to be the more expensive one, because now you need to buy the very best there is and its cost you PMDG price plus what ever you paid for the CS version that you will bin.

Like real life some time you save money in the long run by buying the best in the first place.

If there is ever an option of a PMDG version don't look at anything else.

• Upvote 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

A year ago, I think i made a bad flightsim decision.. I was trying to save on money and bought CS 777 instead of PMDG 777.. the night lighting is bad, flight dynamics, engine/APU start sequence inaccurate, etc.. I was euphoric at the money I saved but I'm finding out all the little flaws of the CS 777 over time that are now shadowing whatever monetary benefit I gained.. I'm seriously considering retiring my CS 777 in the Mojave desert and thinking about buying PMDG 777.  Wanted to hear from the community if this is a good decision. 

If I'm going to buy it, any idea when the best deals are out there? Should I wait for black friday/thanksgiving sale etc? Does PMDG typically offer big discounts during holiday sales? I see that Aerosoft is selling PMDG base 777 at 67 Euro which is about 15-20 $ cheaper than the PMDG website.. 

I'm all ears for suggestions and advise... 

Cheers.

Vinod Kumar.

In my humble opinion the PMDG 777 is probably the best simulated aircraft out there. It's in a class of its own really, so should you buy it? Yes. The expansion is well worth it too, I fly a mix of the ER and LR.

Other than this the NGX is fantastic and if you fancy something different the Majestic Q400. Again top class and very different.

As for where to get it, personally I would just pay the little extra and buy it from the PMDG site, it'll probably save you hassle in the long run with updates and the like, and frankly (and this might not be popular) it's cheap at twice the price. I used to prefer boxed versions of software but now prefer instant downloads with a safe backup elsewhere.

Get it, you won't be disappointed.

Enjoy

Craig Read, EGLL

The flight model in FSX is never accurate in terms of how an aircraft handles. Most of us simmers would not really notice the difference in the PMDG 777 since most simmers here have probably never flown a real Boeing 777. PMDG modeled the Fly-By- Wire according to information that was provided to them which turned out to be wrong. All flight models are an approximate of how an aircraft would respond in the air given different conditions. FSX basically uses lookup tables to figure out how an aircraft would fly.   

I know I'm a little late to this post, but I must say, the PMDG 777 is awesome. It's my goto for cargo hauling, with my VA online. I also enjoy the PMDG MD-11, though it's showing its age. I'm a cargo dog at heart, and both of these aircrafts allow me to haul heavy loads all over.

I've never known PMDG to have a sale. If you love flight simming, you will get your money's worth out of their aircraft. Ever since I've flown them, every other aircraft I try, falls short in comparison. Beautiful flight decks, awesome FMS interfaces, accurate systems... you won't regret it, if you're looking for realism in your flight simming.

Even though many people argue that the 777 is a long haul aircraft (which it is), I am not above loading her up about 60% cargo and a few thousand lbs. of fuel and making "short" 2 hour flights. Very versatile aircraft...

Finest aircraft I have flown in a sim if you like airliners. So good I plan to buy the 737 eventually as well.

Buy it and you will never regret it. This airplanes has all systems accurately modeled along with the 777's Fly-By-System accurately modeled. This is without a doubt the most realistic simulation you will every get for a complex airliner such as the Boeing 777. This product is licensed by Boeing so expect to be studying a lot when you buy it. It comes with over 3,000 pages of documentation. The key idea behind it is the enjoyment of learning. This is not an aircraft that you will just take up and mess around with in the air. 

Hello Guys,

I have gone through this thread after finding myself in more or less same situation. While there is no doubt, about PMDG being the best option out there, other uncertainties are popping up inside my mind. Sooner or later, we are going to witness the end of life for 32 bit versions (we might be even already going through it) of our sims, will it be wise to buy PMDG 777 (200+300) at this very moment ? Really in dilemma. Request folks for your personal opinions/views.

I however remember but not sure about reading somewhere that PMDG would rather give a free upgrade should P3D go 64 bit. If that is true, then nothing like it.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Prayog

From what I have read 64bit is several years in the future. I would not let it influence your decision. Free upgrade? All I can say is probably. I thinks it depends upon the P3D version number for the 64bit version. Maybe someone can give you a better answer about the free upgrade.

First and last names are required in all PMDG Forums - http://www.avsim.com/topic/458101-guidelines-for-participation-in-the-pmdg-forum-please-read/.

I've been a PMDG customer for 18 years and I've never seen a sale! The only time I have seen a discount is when they first release a product. CS and Carenado both make unfinished junk. There is a reason CS have that 9.99 sale every other month.

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

Absolutely recommend the 777. It, along with it's stablemate the 737NGX, is one of the most complete airliners for any sim platform. Rock solid add on, and one I thoroughly enjoy flying.

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

The PMDG 777 & 737NGX..two of my favorite aircraft that have provided me a return on my investment way beyond the cost I paid for them.