Sign in to follow this  

DTG Flight Simulator expectations: let's face reality

I don`t expect a miracle up to the release of the full simulator.

But i expected more than a recycled FSX....

Apparently you haven't been reading the thread all that carefully, since Martin has made it quite clear that this is not going to be "recycled FSX" at all. Yes, the core engine and some elements will be carried forward, but most definitely not the whole of it. :Thinking:

• Upvote 4

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I just want the damned thing to work out of the box...

And runways that follow the contour of the landscape, Third party developers can take care of the rest.

Much wisdom in this thread.

My $.02 - an overview from the flight levels - is that a new sim needs to be:

1. Attractive and smooth-running out of the box - fluid, with good lighting and atmospheric effects and all the other things that will create an emotional experience and draw new people in.  Simple and accessible counts here, too - good interfaces, good default aircraft, things like that.

2. An easy-to-access and easy-to-work-with operating system, so that third-party developers can create all the deluxe hardcore features that committed simmers want... and that newcomers can move up to as they get drawn into the experience more and more - as Jessica describes above.

And that's it.  A new engine that takes advantage of modern hardware, resolves performance bottlenecks, looks good out of the box, and lets developers do their thing - that's the whole ballgame right there.

Seems to me from Martin's post that Dovetail gets it.  We'll see when they launch, but like others here, I'm staying hopeful.

• Upvote 3

Flight School looks like it is a 64Bit FSX with a Flight School Mission Pack.

To  be fair DTG have been pretty clear in their thread here that they have not spent that much time on Flight School beyond 64 bit, DX11, two reasonably detailed aircraft models and the instructor alongside the trainee. This is mainly because they don't think it's required for what is effectively an entry level flight sim. DG Flight Sim however will have rather more work done although Martin has made it plain that the initial release will be lacking as compared to FSX/FSX-SE e.g. FSUIPC and existing adds-ons not supported.

• Upvote 2

Give people power to really test their personality.

And runways that follow the contour of the landscape, Third party developers can take care of the rest.

The only way you will see this, is if they can get AI to work with contoured taxiways/runways. To date neither MS/Aces, LM or DTG (FSX-SE)  has been able to do that with the FSX/ESP engine...and before anybody throws in MS Flight was able to do  it, Flight did not have an AI system to worry about. Without AI both FSX, FSXSE and P3D are all capable of this as well. So I wouldn't hold my breath on this one. Though DTG does appear to have some talented developers on their staff, most notable the VAS management improvements, they were able to do with FSXSE, so I wouldn't completely rule it out.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

I just want the damned thing to work out of the box...

100% agree  :smile: . This is what the majority of new simmers will want and don't want to have to edit .ini and .cfg files to get their sim to work

• Upvote 4

The UNIGINE is pretty amazing, a bit like Outerra. I have to wonder if this is the graphic engine that DTG might possibly use:  Probably not, but a girl can dream . . .

UNIGINE is designed to handle virtual worlds of unprecedented scale without limits.

The Earth Model R&D Prototype (UNIGINE 2 Sim)

UNiGiNE - Next Gen Flight Simulator Tech Demo - Port Angeles - GTX 780 Ti

[Guys, forgive me if this is old news, but I just stumbled upon this.]

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

Dont forget the hydraulics and pneumatic full motion addon. Takes any chair and provides full movement and force effects.  Emergency addon to come as well complete with engine fire and smoke smell.

• Upvote 2

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

Dont forget the hydraulics and pneumatic full motion addon. Takes any chair and provides full movement and force effects.  Emergency addon to come as well complete with engine fire and smoke smell.

If it doesn't have an escape slide, I'm out...

• Upvote 1

If it doesn't have an escape slide, I'm out...

I personally want full emergency vehicle simulation with physics based water and viscosity simulation of flame retardant. If I dont get that, I am sticking with P3D and my OOM's. 

• Upvote 4

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

The UNIGINE is pretty amazing, a bit like Outerra.

There was a group of people who wanted to use this to make a flight sim and published the demo but something went wrong, it fell apart and now they're left without an engine. I believe it had a few short-comings, one of them being that the earth was flat which made a flight sim difficult, but I don't know the technical details of it.

My bets are on Outerra one day being used in a flight-sim.

When judging a modern flight simulator I often pick the latest nightly version of Flight Gear and try to find out what it should have in order to be better... FG already being 64 bit, full World coverage, very good / detailed weather modelling, and so on... 

I also pick MS FLIGHT for a comparison, because MS FLIGHT offered me some of the best simmer moments of my simmer life...

Honestly, I would like to have in DTG's Flight School and then Flight Sim, at least what FG and MS FLIGHT gave me in terms of detail and immersion, even if each f those fail to be complete / supported enough to keep me using them.

DTG's approach looks wise - they're starting with a tittle that will, so we hope, gather the attention of anyone willing to embrace virtual and / or rw flying, by offering what I believe to be  structured flight student "career". I didn't find any info about that, but I guess that either in the form of additional aircraft and or detailed scenery for flight school sceneries, this tittle can well keep evolving in parallel with thei upcoming flight simulator tittle.

Never used a train sim other than MS Train Sim, but I hear / read good comments about DTG's work on this area, and I was very pleased with FSX:SE and the enhancements in smoothness and stability it gave me over vanilla FSX Gold Edition, so, I really believe we have a really promising future for civil flight simulation arriving hour PCs in just a couple of months! Wow!!!!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

At the end of the day; Steam - Dlc based simulator is not everybody cup of tea - Even less if come without the ability to freely allow creativity to change - customize - create - content as you pleased.

I have read on the other Avsim forum that DTG use steam because it is easy to issue updates - - the reality is that is not the case as Xplane 10 provide automatic update without be Steamed UP !!

A Freewareless - SDK-Less - Creative-Less - Freedoom-Less Sim where only Few can enjoy the privilege of being creative will not be popular as our existing Simulator already out there.

Hello !!!!!  Have we been here before ?????

• Upvote 1

Every civilian sim ever released anywhere at any time does not necessarily have to revolve around the desires of this community. Let somebody else have a chance.

All your sims are not belong to us.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5